The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[value of] seattle 2nd overall

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Two firsts is too expensive to move up in a crapshoot of a draft.

We may get someone as good at 9th as at 2nd just because players haven't played/leagues haven't run this year

I think moving up to get the RHD that we’ve definitely needed for years is worth next years pick. Thats me tho

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

No.

There isn’t a player worth paying what it costs to move up 7 spots.

Too much uncertainty in a year that players weren’t really scouted properly.

Umm how about yes. You make it out like Brandt Clarke has only played hockey for half a season. He was always gonna be a high pick.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Umm how about yes. You make it out like Brandt Clarke has only played hockey for half a season. He was always gonna be a high pick.

Again not worth the cost.

Would create too many holes to fill one.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Canucks offer their 1st a 3rd this year and next years 1st to move up to number 2?

Not worth it unless you are absolutely sure that Beniers will be Matthews/Draisaitl/MacKinnon level.

Drafts are often a crapshoot and so it’s generally not a good idea to create a package for one pick.

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Not worth it unless you are absolutely sure that Beniers will be Matthews/Draisaitl/MacKinnon level.

Drafts are often a crapshoot and so it’s generally not a good idea to create a package for one pick.

Tell that to the NFL. Besides id use it for brandt clarke not beniers

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Tell that to the NFL. Besides id use it for brandt clarke not beniers

Fair enough but my opinion is similar to Deniro’s from above.   

Ps - If we were going to offer something like that however, I’d kick the tires of Detroit’s Moritz Seider (although I highly doubt that they’d move him).

I think of the possibilities of what you could acquire dangling TWO 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick out there....

Imagine putting a package together of:

Schmidt

1st round pick (9th OA) in 2021

1st round pick in 2022

3rd round pick in 2021

That's probably close to acquiring Seth Jones.

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think of the possibilities of what you could acquire dangling TWO 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick out there....

Schmidt

1st round pick in 2022

3rd round pick in 2021

Jones is a new season rental.  Yes, he’d be great to have, but there’s zero chance we pay that much for him.  

• Thanks 1

Too high of a price IMO. I want the Canucks to land Clarke too - but there isn't enough separation in skill to trade the 9ao+ a 1st for him. Clarke isn't worth Willy Eklund + a 1st for example.

Was shocked to see that the NHL.com writer is predicting that the Canucks will land Brandt 9th overall. I strongly doubt he's correct, but fingers crossed that he falls.

14 hours ago, HKSR said:

Schmidt

1st round pick in 2022

3rd round pick in 2021

If that's what their ask is, i'd counter with this years first and LE plus one of OJ or Rathbone.  Plus he has to sign with us too.    Whatever Jones is getting, it won't be more then EK got from SJ ... less quite a bit less given the timing and that EK was just entering his prime D years.   That said it wasn't a trade and sign at the time.   

We all know how EK trade worked out, for what could have just been a one year rental.   A roster player in Teirney, their only decent prospect in Norris, a couple throw ins and and unprotected first that OTT timed well (2020).  

I'd do a trade for Seth Jones anyday if it made sense.   To me the only one that makes sense is if terms for re-signing are included.    We are not contending so no need for a rental like him.    Pretty excited at first - more research into Seth Jones and i doubt he had much interest in signing with us unless the money is top dollar.   Trump supporter lol.   Maybe Bertuzzi can convince him to go and sign in Detroit.    They can afford the assets and wow what a right side with Seider.  

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If that's what their ask is, i'd counter with this years first and LE plus one of OJ or Rathbone.  Plus he has to sign with us too.    Whatever Jones is getting, it won't be more then EK got from SJ ... less quite a bit less given the timing and that EK was just entering his prime D years.   That said it wasn't a trade and sign at the time.   

We all know how EK trade worked out, for what could have just been a one year rental.   A roster player in Teirney, their only decent prospect in Norris, a couple throw ins and and unprotected first that OTT timed well (2020).  

I'd do a trade for Seth Jones anyday if it made sense.   To me the only one that makes sense is if terms for re-signing are included.    We are not contending so no need for a rental like him.    Pretty excited at first - more research into Seth Jones and i doubt he had much interest in signing with us unless the money is top dollar.   Trump supporter lol.   Maybe Bertuzzi can convince him to go and sign in Detroit.    They can afford the assets and wow what a right side with Seider.  

Uhh what?  So you're basically saying:

To VAN:

Seth Jones

To CBJ:

Loui Eriksson

OJ/Rathbone

1st

????

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Oh, btw...

Here's the Karlsson deal:

Traded from Ottawa Senators with Francis Perron to San Jose Sharks for Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, round 2 pick in the 2019 draft (Jamieson Rees), conditional round 1 pick in the 2020 draft (Tim Stutzle), conditional round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and conditional round 1 pick in the 2022 draft

So OTT got:

Norris -- top tier prospect (1st round pick 19OA, 61pts in 56gms in AHL, strong showing in the WJC... he was much more than just a decent prospect)

Balcers - ok a bit of a throw in

Tierney -- just came off a 17 goal, 40pt performance (2nd line forward -- ie. Top 6)

Demelo -- a solid Top 4 Dman, RHD as well which brings even more value

2nd Rounder

TWO conditional 1st Rounders

and one conditional 2nd Rounder

Edited by HKSR