The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 1st pick in the draft!

::D I'm curious who might be available for the Canucks at the 9th spot and I'll bet it'll be a Swede!  Lol!  I'm hoping Brandt Clarke will be the player they covet but he should be long gone! It all depends on the teams ahead of the Canucks whom they like and their needs but don't y'all think best player available when the Canucks pick!? Does Benning move up or drop down or trade the pick for a player that is young enough and talented that fills a need? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Best player available is always the best option. When you select need over BPA, it usually hurts. Montreal selecting a need for C in Kok, and Arizona selecting and need for C in Hayton allowed us to land Hughes. 

When we picked need vs BPA, we got Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander and Juolevi over Tkachuk. I believe in the 1st round (even 2) always take the BPA. Then after that, select off need in hopes of a steal. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, DelChristensen said:

::D I'm curious who might be available for the Canucks at the 9th spot and I'll bet it'll be a Swede!  Lol!  I'm hoping Brandt Clarke will be the player they covet but he should be long gone! It all depends on the teams ahead of the Canucks whom they like and their needs but don't y'all think best player available when the Canucks pick!? Does Benning move up or drop down or trade the pick for a player that is young enough and talented that fills a need? 

You would probably like the prospect section of this forum. Lots of talk goong on there about this. Check it out

My want is McTavish.

A solid, physical player who, imo, could round out a very deep center core or can also add to the wing position.

McTavish               Petey               Boeser

Hoglander             Horvat             Podkolzin

Pearson                Miller               Lockwood

Motte                    Lind                 Macewen

Gadjovich

It would be awesome to be watching that lineup in a couple years time.

That's a recipe for success. Ten of thirteen forwards drafted and developed in Vancouver's system. All bring different skillsets to the lineup that enhance the team identity.

However, I fear my hopes for this draft could be shattered as I believe McTavish could go as high as third and will be off the board for sure by ninth.

If this happens, I feel our defensive needs could be better addressed through trade using the ninth pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #Canucks said:

I hope they say they have traded the pick + Loui for an Elite Defenseman! 

Agree , something like that....with our pick and loui , maybe a team will bite, but dunno ...if jake wasnt such a bad seed atm, u coulda threw him in aswell

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

My want is McTavish.

A solid, physical player who, imo, could round out a very deep center core or can also add to the wing position.

McTavish               Petey               Boeser

Hoglander             Horvat             Podkolzin

Pearson                Miller               Lockwood

Motte                    Lind                 Macewen

Gadjovich

It would be awesome to be watching that lineup in a couple years time.

That's a recipe for success. Ten of thirteen forwards drafted and developed in Vancouver's system. All bring different skillsets to the lineup that enhance the team identity.

However, I fear my hopes for this draft could be shattered as I believe McTavish could go as high as third and will be off the board for sure by ninth.

If this happens, I feel our defensive needs could be better addressed through trade using the ninth pick.

Got to keep Miller with Petey!  Miller as a 3rd line centre is a waste! 

26 minutes ago, DelChristensen said:

Got to keep Miller with Petey!  Miller as a 3rd line centre is a waste! 

Miller in two years is not a waste IMO, is would be the right role for him if he wants to win a cup!

Think of it as 1st line, 2A line, 2B line! 

Honestly I like Miller as 3C if Petey can handle the roll as 1C.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DelChristensen said:

I’m hoping for Dylan Guenther at the #9 spot but he’ll likely be long gone by then.  Meh, who knows.  I’m happy with whatever.

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Our center depth is so pathetic after petey and Bo. At least we have Woo, a decent prospect yet nothing at center.

Yes we have to draft a C or RHD.   Whomever we draft this year at C would be Horvats long term replacement.   On the flip side our team right now is deep at C.   Deep enough to create three scoring lines, even with Sutter and Beagle both not playing next season.   IF we draft McTavish AND he's good at face offs, we could see him play right away just like Horvat did.   We certainly don't need another LHD over a C. 

• Like 1

This player needs to make a playoffs impact, but I agree with you that I think it could be a Swede. Just feels that way with bringing in Henrik and Daniel. 

Eklund

Edvinsson

Lysell

but I'm hoping for McTavish or Clarke