The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we are never in the conversation for big name trades in the Benning era?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Convincing John said:

The only asset he has is his 1st Pick. But we are so screwed that he probably won’t be able to free enough cap to receive a player equal to the price of acquiring that pick. Lol. You’re not going to receive a good player on a ELC Jim, lol. 

You're just not constructing any arguments with facts.  We could get multiple 1st round picks if we felt inclined to trade away Elias, Quinn, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone.  

He is so bad, that his failure at building a “Winning culture” allowed him to draft Hughes and EP while concurrently being unable to lock them up long term cause he has no cap space. 

Is Sakic terrible as well since according to your logic Cale Makar is refusing to resign with the Avs?  Go ahead and tell me the percentage of RFAs that have resigned with their teams already.  Maybe I missed Miro Heiskanen reupping with Dallas?  

Patience  is what they say. Ya, the very thing that got us all these horrible contracts so we could be competitive NOW. 

….patience, Gillis, Gillis, Gillis, bare cupboards, NTC, Gillis, winning culture, Ownership’s fault, COVID, Luongo, flat cap. Gillis. Paper bags, huggy bears, wah! Gillis, look at Buffalo, go cheer for Toronto, 

You're in for a tough summer there...  maybe stop focusing so much on Jim Benning.  I don't know what to tell you except that your view of the NHL is very narrow.  Sounds like you're hyper focusing on the Canucks and ignoring the other 30 teams in the league. 

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Its been 7 1/2 years ffs!

Under Gillis we went to the SCF.  We won the Presidents Cup twice.  You expect a GM to stock up on high draft picks, and fill the cupboards, AND go for it all at the same time?  I can imagine that if we'd actually won game 7 Gillis would not be so maligned.  And those bare cupboards would be a small price to pay.  As it is, if you go purely by accomplishments, he could be regarded as our greatest most successful GM in our history, which isn't saying much I know.

Some may not credit the work of an amateur scouting department as much as the GM, but IMO there is a direct correlation with how dismal our drafting history under Delorme was, who was kept on for decades...decades!, despite the failures.  Gillis said that that is one of his biggest regrets, not changing that department. Drafting wasn't Gillis's strong point, so he left all those decisions in the hands of Delorme.

Benning's improved drafting, likewise changed for the better this time, when he hired Judd Brackett.  Who had deep connections with the US college hockey scene and helped dig up Gaudette, Demko, Boeser, Madden and others. Which is why it was more than puzzling, after the Canucks, in all their sad sorry drafting history, and finally on the right track, JB squeezed out Brackett for his troubles. That dumb decision was one more straw on the camels back for me at the time. 

And it was Gillis, by all reports, that realized the state of the team at the end of his tenure, which Torts did a couple years later with the "stale" comment, and that it needed a full on rebuild. For which Mike was shown the door.  So even though he, or his decision to keep Delorme, gave us not much on the farm....at least he recognized the need and was willing to do something to rectify it.  Something that JB (probably under the thumb of Aqualinis) did not think was necessary.

But but but what about the NTC, and NMCs? 

Sorry, but that is why JB's paid the big bucks. Find creative solutions. and it wasn't that JB couldn't move players from our old core, it was that he didn't even try, until later and only half azzed. And instead added more over-valued vets onto the pile every off season. While handing out picks and prospects like candy and banning the R word.

IMO one should stop blaming the last GM at most 3 years in.  Its grasping at straws.

You're not wrong kilgore, but a proper rebuild takes 5 years.  People were clamoring for a proper rebuild and now that we're nearing the end of it, everyone wants to jump off the bridge.  

I don't care what past GMs did, all I know is that this is the brightest future that any Canuck team has had.  I really don't care if we change GMs as long as Benning gives us one more draft class.  It might be a change that's needed to put us over the top into a contender.  Either way I'm kind of amused by how mad so many fans have gotten through listening to 1040 and other clowns (Drance) who's job is to get you upset and vocal about the team.  

12 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

@DSVIII’ll hit ya back later tonight after the game. I’ll get back to you on each point, I will say now that yes Gillis was great at enticing players to come to Vancouver, but the Canucks themselves were enough to entice a player to sign, without the help of Gillis. Contending teams attract on their own and players will take paycuts to go to a winning team. The goal is the cup and players will sign for a little less than market value, but they’ll want a NMC or NTC so that I can stay with this winning group in hopes to be part of a cup winning team. They dont want to be used as an asset a year or 2 later to get flipped to a crappy team.

Look forward to it.

I agree that the NMC and NTC is used to stay with the winning group, but just as important to a player is that they have a part to play in the team's plans. They may not want to be used as an asset but as the saying goes, this is a business. Local boy Jason Garrison found that out the hard way when he was asked to waive his NTC, he still dealt with it like a pro and played elsewhere when JB made it clear he wasn't part of this team's future plans

32 minutes ago, DSVII said:

It's my opinion as a fan, just as you have yours. But what part of this is revisionist? What is inaccurate? enlighten me.

He left no replacement for the Sedins because he had no chance to draft one. TBH when he got fired, I was willing to give him one more year to follow up the Horvat draft, but I didn't shed tears either when he was gone. Doesnt' change the fact he never had a chance to rebuild, why judge him based on the merits of one?

If we fired McPhee today for not winning the cup, do we blame him for leaving no prospects behind in the Vegas prospect pool because he traded Suzuki to take Patches for that immediate help?

I believe that was a disadvantage he had, being 'blackballed'. A player agent as a GM was something that the old boys club of GMs in the league never did accept. Did it hamper his ability to make deals? Yes. Do I use it to make judgements on his competency? Not really. 

Tanev, Garrison, Bieksa, Burrows all netted returns and were assets. How Benning decided to trade them/let them decline has no bearing on Gillis imo. 

Won't argue the C-level prospect part.

Ironically, what we need now from Benning though, is to show that similar aptitude Gillis had for assembling that supporting cast. Drafting is not the end all be all. What you do with the drafted players is just as important (the dreaded 'asset management') so here's hoping he can navigate that. 

Not an entirely fair comparison, but the Lightning's current roster is almost entirely their draft picks. Name a line and there's a lightning pick.

They are clearly a winning team for many years. What's Gillis' excuse for not drafting one player from the 2nd round and later? I'll tell you why. He traded the draft picks away. The ones he did keep, he never capitalized on them. Meanwhile, Benning drafted Demko and Hoglander.

Everyone likes to make the excuse that Gillis didn't have high draft picks to work with. Well, he could've, if he traded his assets, but he didn't. With no replacements, our prospect pool was piss poor. That's on Gillis.

Being blackballed, which I acknowledge is in fact the case, should not have had any bearing on drafting players. This was such a huge oversight on his part.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Look forward to it.

I agree that the NMC and NTC is used to stay with the winning group, but just as important to a player is that they have a part to play in the team's plans. They may not want to be used as an asset but as the saying goes, this is a business. Local boy Jason Garrison found that out the hard way when he was asked to waive his NTC, he still dealt with it like a pro and played elsewhere when JB made it clear he wasn't part of this team's future plans

Garrison was actually one of several players that Gillis handed NTCs with. So one could argue that Gillis actually handcuffed himself.

Oh and the Ballard trade was awful. Just awful. Anyone who justifies that trade is clearly out to lunch @kanucks25 is one such poster. :lol: As if healthy scratching that player in the playoffs meant he had good value to this team. Might have been an AV problem tbh. He never trusted Ballard. Anyway, Ballard was a poor fit on this team, and Gillis was silly enough to free up FLA's cap space in the process, while throwing away essentially two first round picks (Grabner was a former first round pick) + 25th pick.

It's almost like Gillis just rushed the trade on NHL 2015 just to push the trade through. It should also be mentioned that Gillis bought out Ballard later on. Just terrible. We joke about asset management, and Gillis barely demonstrated that he had it. If you're bleeding draft picks and not recouping them, OR making use of the ones you have, it's no surprise that you decline and decline.

Any player of any consequence, aside from Tanev, was largely inherited. The players he signed for cheap were good, but not all of them hit, of course. Gillis is given a lot of credit for the cup run, when really most of that should've gone to Burke + Nonis. By the end of Gillis' tenure, you could finally see just how much Gillis sucked at developing players. We had to acquire lots of scrap bodies during the Benning period to fill the rosters.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is a ton of revisionism and historical inaccuracy.

Scouting is a major factor for Gillis' downfall. It's the reason why Gillis never could replace his roster and had to rely on trades. A lot of those trades he got screwed on. And if you notice, he only had a select group of teams that he could trade with. He was blackballed essentially with his trading partners.

Gillis wasn't that good, aside from cheap contracts that paid off. He left no replacement for the Sedins. No replacement for Edler. He had no plan to replace the lost draft picks. The result? A stale core.

What Benning inherited was a bunch of C-level prospects, and a mediocre/declining roster. Bonino was likely the most valuable asset out of Gillis' tenure. Sedins were clearly on the decline + untradable. As for Hamhuis, there were reports that he exercised his NTC to nix the trade to Dallas, only for him to sign to Dallas later on as a free agent.

"What Benning inherited was a bunch of C-level prospects, and a mediocre/declining roster."

But he was a good GM because he saw that and said this to the media:

"This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” ???

And then went on a spending spree with picks and prospects to support that "mediocre/declining roster"?

The Benning Booster Club can't have it both ways.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

"What Benning inherited was a bunch of C-level prospects, and a mediocre/declining roster."

But he was a good GM because he saw that and said this to the media:

"This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” ???

And then went on a spending spree with picks and prospects to support that "mediocre/declining roster"?

The Benning Booster Club can't have it both ways.

Benning tried to retool on the fly. Sedins were declining, but selling them off was blasphemy, so Benning had to come up with a way to stay competitive, while trying to recoup prospects.

That's why he tried to get Eriksson, hoping that he'll rekindle the magic with the Sedins.

Nothing that you say is contradictory to what he tried to do - stay competitive. We all know the experiment didn't end well however. At least we stopped trading first round picks for duds.

Gillis remarkably had some pretty poor trades that people like you have refused to acknowledge. Few will say the Ballard trade was a good one. This was Gillis trying to buy his way out of a problem he knew he had - drafting/developing.

Funny how you didn't post a rebuttal for that abomination of a trade on behalf of Gillis.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You're just not constructing any arguments with facts.  We could get multiple 1st round picks if we felt inclined to trade away Elias, Quinn, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone.  

Is Sakic terrible as well since according to your logic Cale Makar is refusing to resign with the Avs?  Go ahead and tell me the percentage of RFAs that have resigned with their teams already.  Maybe I missed Miro Heiskanen reupping with Dallas?  

You're in for a tough summer there...  maybe stop focusing so much on Jim Benning.  I don't know what to tell you except that your view of the NHL is very narrow.  Sounds like you're hyper focusing on the Canucks and ignoring the other 30 teams in the league. 

Wow, you sure showed me.

It’s pretty black and white really. 

He hasn’t had results. 

when you tell the media over and over again how you’re this winning culture architect and you lose better than most of the teams in the league your credibility is worthless.

Miller had to stand up for his team after the COVID outbreak while big time winner Benning didn’t have the spine to push back. Thanks JT

TT stated on numerous occasions that he wasn’t even offered a contract and he loved Vancouver. What was Bennings rebuttal? We ran out of time? Sweet, you’re welcome LA kings. You’re welcome Montreal. Thank you for signing Holtby instead.

How do people still believe in this guy? It’s shocking and unsettling.  

His stupid contracts are coming back to haunt him in real time and people still go out of their way to make excuses. 

There is nothing more dangerous than a GM with one last chance to prove himself. The mistakes are going to be Milbury. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Wow, you sure showed me.

He hasn’t had results. 

when you tell the media over and over again how you’re this winning culture architect and you lose better than most of the teams in the league your credibility is worthless.

Miller had to stand up for his team after the COVID outbreak while big time winner Benning didn’t have the spine to push back. Thanks JT

TT stated on numerous occasions that he wasn’t even offered a contract and he loved Vancouver. What was Bennings rebuttal? We ran out of time? Sweet, you’re welcome LA kings. You’re welcome Montreal. Thank you for signing Holtby instead.

His stupid contracts are coming back to haunt him in real time and people still go out of their way to make excuses. 

There is nothing more dangerous than a GM with one last chance to prove himself. The mistakes are going to be Milbury. 

Right, like Gillis trading off his last good asset (Schneider) for an unproven quantity, just so he could say he never had a first round pick until now...

Remember how he mishandled the Luongo/Schneider situation? Seems like you forgot.

As you look back, Gillis was paying more than he was receiving. No wonder why our prospect pool was garbage.

It's kinda funny that you use the Miller thing to slander a GM which probably had nothing to do with the situation. Put Gillis there, what's he going to do? Yell at the NHL? Lmfao... He's not likely to come back in any capacity of the NHL, fyi. As mentioned earlier, he is blackballed. Pittsburgh had a chance to hire him, but he didn't even make their final cuts.

Edited by Dazzle

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Right, like Gillis trading off his last good asset (Schneider) for an unproven quantity, just so he could say he never had a first round pick until now...

Remember how he mishandled the Luongo/Schneider situation? Seems like you forgot.

As you look back, Gillis was paying more than he was receiving. No wonder why our prospect pool was garbage.

It's kinda funny that you use the Miller thing to slander a GM which probably had nothing to do with the situation. Put Gillis there, what's he going to do? Yell at the NHL? Lmfao... He's not likely to come back in any capacity of the NHL, fyi. As mentioned earlier, he is blackballed. Pittsburgh had a chance to hire him, but he didn't even make their final cuts.

Why are you talking to me about Gillis, go put your paper bag on. Nobody cares about 7 years ago. You probably still have a flip phone. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Not an entirely fair comparison, but the Lightning's current roster is almost entirely their draft picks. Name a line and there's a lightning pick.

They are clearly a winning team for many years. What's Gillis' excuse for not drafting one player from the 2nd round and later? I'll tell you why. He traded the draft picks away. The ones he did keep, he never capitalized on them. Meanwhile, Benning drafted Demko and Hoglander.

Everyone likes to make the excuse that Gillis didn't have high draft picks to work with. Well, he could've, if he traded his assets, but he didn't. With no replacements, our prospect pool was piss poor. That's on Gillis.

Well said, im lovin all the razzle dazzle you’re spittin. Yea Bennings draft picks outside the first round outweigh all of Gillis’s draft picks.

If some of these fans took a couple minutes to look at every single cup winning team in the last 20 years, hell probably since the league started… every cup winning team won by building a core through the draft.. and that is exactly how teams are built… kinda tough when Gillis didnt draft anything other than Horvat and Nonis/Canucks last hits were Kesler, Edler, Hansen and Schneider which goes all the way back to 2004… yikes.. 9 years between drafting a quality NHLer. Thats a MASSIVE developmental deficit Vancouver has battled through on the backs of the Sedins, that puts us sooooo far behind on keeping pace with the youth that enters the league each and every year.

Who would you rather

Demko, Hoglander, Rathbone… or Horvat, Hodgson and Hutton

2 2nds and a 4th or 2 1sts and a 5th

I love Horvat, hes my favourite player but he doesnt play goalie or D is a 2 way forward but Hoglander is a fiesty little f***er in the corners as well and has great skill. And I would have to go with Bennings 2nd round and 4th round picks over all of Gillis’s drafting.

Look at Pittsburgh as well. They always seem to find a gem in the latter rounds that becomes a crucial player for them and they have been considered a contending team almost each and every single year since Malkin and Crosby were drafted back in 2004/05. They havent missed the playoffs in 15 years. Yea sure they are very lucky to land Sid and Gino in back to back years, but they are still winning later in their careers due to the late round drafting by Pittsburgh

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Why are you talking to me about Gillis, go put your paper bag on. Nobody cares about 7 years ago. You probably still have a flip phone. 

At least he has a phone, im surprised you have the internet, you must still be using myspace and nexopia as your social media platforms??

46 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Wow, you sure showed me.

He hasn’t had results. 

Ill give ya a little update on what has happened the last 20 years. Gillis sucked at almost everything, we lost in the finals in 2010-11 

Jim Benning hasnt played hockey in 32 years. JT Miller is currently playing and knows how he feels. The league gave a deadline and the players voiced their opinion on how they, the players who were infected and recovering felt. The league listened to what the players said. Management can complain about things and wind up like Cassidy or the NYR guys and get fined and fired.

We had this COVID 19 world wide pandemic that shut the world down for a bit. Economies were effected, the NHL was effected and seasons were shortened. The cap was supposed to go up before we acquired Toffoli and after we acquired him we found out the cap was going to remain flat for a few years because of it and omg it was devestating. We had 2 star players to sign, Elias Pettersson (he shattered Kent Nilssons long standing rookie record in the swedish elite league) and Quinn Hughes, we only had so much cap space for their contracts and it didnt leave room for us to sign Toffoli, Tanev (he was a shot blocking beast Dman) or Markstrom who was our starting goalie. So we signed this Holtby guy who won a cup, Vezina and a Jennings, plus he had 3x Hart nominations and was nominated for the Vezina 2 other times, as a mentor for Demko who is our up and coming goalie of the future.

I sent @Dazzle the texts to his flip phone so he knew what was going on as well. 

So now that you’ve been caught up to speed on what has happened in the world, whats it like living off the grid and not being in touch with the world?

edit: I guess I have to explain what a text message and the internet are…. Dont i…. Sigh….

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

At least he has a phone, im surprised you have the internet, you must still be using myspace and nexopia as your social media platforms??

Ill give ya a little update on what has happened the last 20 years. 1.Gillis sucked at almost everything, 2.we lost in the finals in 2010-11 

3. Jim Benning hasnt played hockey in 32 years. 4. JT Miller is currently playing and knows how he feels. 5. The league gave a deadline and the players voiced their opinion on how they, the players who were infected and recovering felt. 6. The league listened to what the players said. 7. Management can complain about things and wind up like Cassidy or the NYR guys and get fined and fired.

8. We had this COVID 19 world wide pandemic that shut the world down for a bit. 9. Economies were effected, the NHL was effected and seasons were shortened. 10. The cap was supposed to go up before we acquired Toffoli and after we acquired him we found out the cap was going to remain flat for a few years because of it and omg it was devestating. 11. We had 2 star players to sign, Elias Pettersson (he shattered Kent Nilssons long standing rookie record in the swedish elite league) and Quinn Hughes, 12. we only had so much cap space for their contracts and it didnt leave room for us to sign Toffoli, Tanev (he was a shot blocking beast Dman) or Markstrom who was our starting goalie. 13. So we signed this Holtby guy who won a cup, Vezina and a Jennings, plus he had 3x Hart nominations and was nominated for the Vezina 2 other times, 14. as a mentor for Demko who is our up and coming goalie of the future.

I sent @Dazzle the texts to his flip phone so he knew what was going on as well. 

So now that you’ve been caught up to speed on what has happened in the world, whats it like living off the grid and not being in touch with the world?

14 excuses. 

I find that I’m almost in a euphoric state. It’s like my body is being overwhelmed with sarcasm right now. I don’t even know what’s real anymore or who I really am. 

It’s like a high, reading 14 excuses. It’s like you’re implying these excuses are attached to a success but they aren’t. They are attached to failure. They aren’t “I told you so’s” they are 14 excuses for failure. Agh. I’m just in heaven right now. There is absolutely no substance to any of this. It’s all just denial. 

I need more. 

• RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

14 excuses. 

I find that I’m almost in a euphoric state. It’s like my body is being overwhelmed with sarcasm right now. I don’t even know what’s real anymore or who I really am. 

It’s like a high, reading 14 excuses. It’s like you’re implying these excuses are attached to a success but they aren’t. They are attached to failure. They aren’t “I told you so’s” they are 14 excuses for failure. Agh. I’m just in heaven right now. There is absolutely no substance to any of this. It’s all just denial. 

I need more. 

Excuses?? I just gave you updates on the world, thought I’d get you in touch with reality

Hit me with some facts bro, lets hear your excuses as to why we made the playoffs last season and why we beat Minnesota and St.Louis and why Vegas let us stick around to a game 7 and how Benning had a crystal ball to see into the future and know the cap was staying flat prior to trading for Toffoli

Wuchu got bruh. You gunna spit some facts?? Or you just gunna sit here and pout =‘(

Oh I guess I forgot to mention that signing Toffoli and Tanev and Markstrom would have stopped COVID from happening. What a terrible mistake that was to let them go by Benning. They coulda stopped COVID together!!!

the only substance is the substance you are on.

image.gif.694f32cac75c82524da9611b97e3e57e.gif

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Excuses?? I just gave you updates on the world, thought I’d get you in touch with reality

Hit me with some facts bro, lets hear your excuses as to why we made the playoffs last season and why we beat Minnesota and St.Louis and why Vegas let us stick around to a game 7 and how Benning had a crystal ball to see into the future and know the cap was staying flat prior to trading for Toffoli

Wuchu got bruh. You gunna spit some facts?? Or you just gunna sit here and pout =‘(

Oh I guess I forgot to mention that signing Toffoli and Tanev and Markstrom would have stopped COVID from happening. What a terrible mistake that was to let them go by Benning. They coulda stopped COVID together!!!

the only substance is the substance you are on.

image.gif.694f32cac75c82524da9611b97e3e57e.gif

I don’t have excuses. The GM of my favourite team doesn’t know how to manage a cap. He singlehandedly killed any momentum we had with bad ufa signings compounded over several July’s. you act like he just surprisingly and suddenly had no cap space. We are one of the worst teams in the league the last 7 years. His leadership spending sprees prevented us from progressing. Look at the cost and production of our bottom 6. There is absolutely no reason we should be a cap team after 7 years in the basement. Imagine if he was your portfolio manager. Well thanks for the Hughes and EP stocks, but overall I’m losing money from your Buy high approach when you shoulda just stuck to what you’re good at from the start. Drafting players. 

I don’t understand how you can praise Jim’s drafting in late rounds then be ok with him surrendering picks or eating up cap space for players to make us competitive during purgatory. Think about how much better off we would be today if he had some cap discipline. We’d be waltzing into an expansion draft with 20 mil in cap space and a bus load of prospects. Maybe one would be proud of our dismal record over the past 7 years if we had that to hang our hat on. 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • RoughGame 1

31 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

He singlehandedly killed any momentum we had with bad ufa signings compounded over several July’s.

We had major downward momentum that was halted by signing some NHL quality players that we were lacking.  Did you honestly pay attention to the Canucks when they started sucking between 2015 to 2018?  

Brendan Gaunce and Alex Grenier were our prized prospects at the time.  Frankie Corrado on the blueline.  

We'll have to agree to disagree as you're hell bent on blaming everything on Benning and making it seem 10 times worst then it is.  The sky is not falling. 

42 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I don’t have excuses. The GM of my favourite team doesn’t know how to manage a cap. He singlehandedly killed any momentum we had with bad ufa signings compounded over several July’s. you act like he just surprisingly and suddenly had no cap space. We are one of the worst teams in the league the last 7 years. His leadership spending sprees prevented us from progressing. Look at the cost and production of our bottom 6. There is absolutely no reason we should be a cap team after 7 years in the basement. Imagine if he was your portfolio manager. Well thanks for the Hughes and EP stocks, but overall I’m losing money from your Buy high approach when you shoulda just stuck to what you’re good at from the start. Drafting players. 

I don’t understand how you can praise Jim’s drafting in late rounds then be ok with him surrendering picks or eating up cap space for players to make us competitive during purgatory. Think about how much better off we would be today if he had some cap discipline. We’d be waltzing into an expansion draft with 20 mil in cap space and a bus load of prospects. Maybe one would be proud of our dismal record over the past 7 years if we had that to hang our hat on. 

Yea Dubas is an idiot im sorry you are a Toronto fan. That Tavares signing… LOOOOL HELLO GOODBYE MATTHEWS!! Or wait.. hahaha wait. How about that Marner signing Hahaahjajahahahahahhah omg that one cracked me up too. Lmao remember the Marleau trade??? A 1st round pick to get rid of his last year on the contract!!!!!???! BAHAHAHHAHAHA that was such a knee slapper!! Ahhhh man… you Toronto fans make me laugh a lot. God Im glad I’m not you. But Im glad you have @lmm to give you Huggybears!!

Hey @Dazzlecheck your flip phone, I sent you a text, @Convincing John actually convinced @lmm that he knows a thing or 2 about hockey! They are giving each other huggybears!

E1C7B37C-139D-4F46-8EFB-8C2DBF6A2667.png

PS cap Discipline is when you are competitive, during what is supposed to be rebuilding years, signing placeholders for a few years while you are expecting to still be rebuilding, not taking VGK to the dying minutes of a 0-0 game 7 and almost heading to the WCF in the 2nd year is not a fault of “bad cap” management, thats actually GREAT DRAFTING that made those signings look bad in hindsight. Also… who did we lose due to this “bad” cap managenent?? Which core guy??? Boeser? Horvat? Pettersson? Hughes? Hoglander? Demko???? Which under 25 up and coming star player did we loo….. oh wait…. None, we lost 29+ players.

image.gif

PS the LE and Luo cap problems…. Next year….. GONE. 8mil….GONE. Lmao soooo like what now??? Hows that for timing?? Oh and Holtby’s 4.3…… 

image.gif

Ink up Boeser and Horvat to extensions and we are laughing. Oh… wait you arent because You’re a laffs fan

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Yea Dubas is an idiot im sorry you are a Toronto fan. That Tavares signing… LOOOOL HELLO GOODBYE MATTHEWS!! Or wait.. hahaha wait. How about that Marner signing Hahaahjajahahahahahhah omg that one cracked me up too. Lmao remember the Marleau trade??? A 1st round pick to get rid of his last year on the contract!!!!!???! BAHAHAHHAHAHA that was such a knee slapper!! Ahhhh man… you Toronto fans make me laugh a lot. God Im glad I’m not you. But Im glad you have @lmm to give you Huggybears!!

Hey @Dazzlecheck your flip phone, I sent you a text, @Convincing John actually convinced @lmm that he knows a thing or 2 about hockey! They are giving each other huggybears!

PS cap Discipline is when you are competitive, during what is supposed to be rebuilding years, signing placeholders for a few years while you are expecting to still be rebuilding, not taking VGK to the dying minutes of a 0-0 game 7 and almost heading to the WCF in the 2nd year is not a fault of “bad cap” management, thats actually GREAT DRAFTING that made those signings look bad in hindsight. Also… who did we lose due to this “bad” cap managenent?? Which core guy??? Boeser? Horvat? Pettersson? Hughes? Hoglander? Demko???? Which under 25 up and coming star player did we loo….. oh wait…. None, we lost 29+ players.

PS the LE and Luo cap problems…. Next year….. GONE. 8mil….GONE. Lmao soooo like what now??? Hows that for timing?? Oh and Holtby’s 4.3…… 

Ink up Boeser and Horvat to extensions and we are laughing. Oh… wait you arent because You’re a laffs fan

E1C7B37C-139D-4F46-8EFB-8C2DBF6A2667.png

image.gif

image.gif

This is the Neapolitan ice cream box of Benning bros rebuttals.

I know I’ll just repeat everything I said in a 3rd person argument with myself.

I’ll bring up the leafs and call the insubordinate a leafs fan completely out of nowhere. 

I’ll throw in some lit gifs to further discredit while addressing nothing and making all the older pro JB posters laugh with my edgy middle aged Facebook humour. 

well done sir, I’m actually going to use this post as a glossary. 

it’s not who we lost, it’s what we can’t add to our emerging core. The Holtby, roussel, beagle, and sutter sentiment is heartwarming but you gotta score some goals and stop the puck. Place holders don’t need 4 year contracts. Or $4M. Having those guys vs not had no tangible results. You act like we win or something. Bennings crown moment is winning a couple rounds in a slapped together tournament with a hot goaltender. 

• Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We had major downward momentum that was halted by signing some NHL quality players that we were lacking.  Did you honestly pay attention to the Canucks when they started sucking between 2015 to 2018?  

Brendan Gaunce and Alex Grenier were our prized prospects at the time.  Frankie Corrado on the blueline.  

We'll have to agree to disagree as you're hell bent on blaming everything on Benning and making it seem 10 times worst then it is.  The sky is not falling. 

Ok so signing those players got us where exactly? How many guys do we need in the locker room showing Horvat how to be a pro? The only thing they’re teaching our young players is how to work hard for a big contract so a roster spot is gifted to you because you’re being paid so much that you can’t be scratched or sent down. Imagine working wicked hard all summer and showing up to camp hoping to win a roster spot but Roussel is there. 

Cool culture. 

• Huggy Bear 1