The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Ottawa - Columbus Schmidt trade

23 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

No the Canucks are giving up Juolevi and Lind to trade Schmidt’s 4 years and $5.9 Million contract during a flat cap which is not going to be easy to trade. 
Juolevi has been leap frogged by Rathbone, Lind is a tweener that used his invisibility cloak when he played for the Canucks and at least the Canucks get a 3C in Tierney and a 4C in Logan Brown and didn’t cost them much 

I think it’s a little early to say if Rathbone has leapfrogged Juolevi. Also I think you’re going a little hard on poor King Heffy. And lastly, has it been confirmed Schmidt wants out? or is that just the media rumour of late?

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Schmidt is either not good enough to play on the the top pairing for Columbus, or is movable without a sweetener.

A team that finished last in it’s division with a worse record then the Canucks and it’s #1 defenseman wants out and you think Schmidt isn’t good enough for Columbus top 4 is laughable, your BS in hockey matters is strong as Schmidt would beat out Gravrikov and outside of Jones and Werenski Columbus has no scoring on their defense 

1 minute ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

A team that finished last in it’s division with a worse record then the Canucks and it’s #1 defenseman wants out and you think Schmidt isn’t good enough for Columbus top 4 is laughable, your BS in hockey matters is strong as Schmidt would beat out Gravrikov and outside of Jones and Werenski Columbus has no scoring on their defense 

Never said he isn't good enough for their top 4.  He isn't the anchor you think he is.

Maybe work on improving your reading comprehension before trying to resort to the ad hominem fallacy.

Edited by King Heffy

10 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I think it’s a little early to say if Rathbone has leapfrogged Juolevi. Also I think you’re going a little hard on poor King Heffy. And lastly, has it been confirmed Schmidt wants out? or is that just the media rumour of late?

Hefty is the one coming at me with weak reasons why it’s a bad trade and I am just returning his fire with valid arguments why each team would do this 3 way trade which is basically to trade each other players that aren’t needed anymore, bad contracts or want out 

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

3 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Hefty is the one coming at me with weak reasons why it’s a bad trade and I am just returning his fire with valid arguments why each team would this 3 way trade which is basically to trade each other players that aren’t needed anymore, bad contracts or want out 

Fair enough, what about the other 2 things I mentioned?

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Never said he isn't good enough for their top 4.  He isn't the anchor you think he is.

Maybe work on improving your reading comprehension before trying to resort to the ad hominem fallacy.

Yeah my reading is fine but you are not understanding I said he would be top pairing after Seth Jones is traded because Schmidt doesn’t have any competition as he would also be on their PP1 as Columbus doesn’t have much other then Gavrikov and Kukan after Werenski and neither is a puck mover or a threat from the point 

3 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Yeah my reading is fine but you are not understanding I said he would be top pairing after Seth Jones is traded because Schmidt doesn’t have any competition as he would also be on their PP1 as Columbus doesn’t have much other then Gavrikov and Kukan after Werenski and neither is a puck mover or a threat from the point 

So he doesn't have negative value, which I'd already suggested.  Stop eating the crayons and really take the time to try to understand.  I'd rather just take Domi assuming our defense is getting sorted out somehow.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/475961

Canucks trade Oli Juolevi, Kole Lind, Nate Schmidt 

Canucks receives Chris Tierney, Logan Brown, Austin Watson 

Ottawa trade Logan Brown, Chris Tierney, Austin Watson 

Ottawa receives Max Domi, Kole Lind, Oli Juolevi 

Columbus trades Max Domi

Columbus receives Nate Schmidt 

Let’s hear everyone rip it apart lol

Why wouldn't we eliminate the middleman and  just trade Schmidt for Domi and retain Lind and OJ? I don't think Tierney and Brown are a big upgrade over Domi, Lind and O.J.

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Fair enough, what about the other 2 things I mentioned?

Juolevi has been leap frogged if you compare how both players played, were used and if they were sheltered ice time and every category Rathbone beat out Juolevi and Greener simply doesn’t trust him more then a 5 or 6 and you can’t put Juolevi and Rathbone together as the 3rd pairing.

It is being reported that numerous outlets and media personalities have contacted the Canucks and Schmidt’s camp and they are not denying or refuting the question if he asked for a trade and sounds like the Canucks have asked him to not say anything while trying to trade him, the reason is unknown why he wants out 

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Juolevi has been leap frogged if you compare how both players played, were used and if they were sheltered ice time and every category Rathbone beat out Juolevi and Greener simply doesn’t trust him more then a 5 or 6 and you can’t put Juolevi and Rathbone together as the 3rd pairing.

It is being reported that numerous outlets and media personalities have contacted the Canucks and Schmidt’s camp and they are not denying or refuting the question if he asked for a trade and sounds like the Canucks have asked him to not say anything while trying to trade him, the reason is unknown why he wants out 

The first part, still too early to say IMO. The second part, I think that is speculation on your part, I have yet to see or hear a credible source either way. But we all do that, speculate and have opinions that is.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So he doesn't have negative value, which I'd already suggested.  Stop eating the crayons and really take the time to try to understand.  I'd rather just take Domi assuming our defense is getting sorted out somehow.

Canucks don’t want an injury plagued tweener like Domi who has moved from 3 teams in 5 or 6 years which is a huge red flag. At least with Tierney and Logan Brown they have 2 bottom 6 centres that are cheap and opens up space to sign a scoring winger or another defenseman in free agency or another trade 

So if I understand this, it takes the Canucks to give up Juolevi and Lind to dump Schmidt (cuz he sucks and no one wants his 5.95) to Ottawa but it takes Ottawa nothing, not even a retention to move to him Columbus 1 for 1 for  Domi cuz Columbus would want his 5.95 as he'd be a top 3 Dman there, then top 2 when Jones us moved.

So why would the Canucks not move Schmidt to Columbus for Domi, who is better than Tierney and wants to play C, as Brown and Watson would both be in Abby.

Keep Juolevi and Lind, let them play and see what they got or use them in another trade. Let's say I don't know for Lauzon out of Boston. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Why wouldn't we eliminate the middleman and  just trade Schmidt for Domi and retain Lind and OJ? I don't think Tierney and Brown are a big upgrade over Domi, Lind and O.J.

We could trade Domi for Schmidt but why?

Domi is making $5.25 Cap hit is a tweener and last 2 seasons has had injuries that made him miss significant time and in my opinion the Canucks would rather have a 3C like Tierney that is only $3.5 Cap hit that is bigger, tougher and has playoff experience in the pacific division at centre and has a history of putting up points 

7 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

So if I understand this, it takes the Canucks to give up Juolevi and Lind to dump Schmidt (cuz he sucks and no one wants his 5.95) to Ottawa but it takes Ottawa nothing, not even a retention to move to him Columbus 1 for 1 for  Domi cuz Columbus would want his 5.95 as he'd be a top 3 Dman there, then top 2 when Jones us moved.

So why would the Canucks not move Schmidt to Columbus for Domi, who is better than Tierney and wants to play C, as Brown and Watson would both be in Abby.

Keep Juolevi and Lind, let them play and see what they got or use them in another trade. Let's say I don't know for Lauzon out of Boston. 

Schmidt doesn’t suck, he is still a good 2nd pairing on a good team that can move the puck it’s his contract and cap hit that scares teams away, but Domi is a tweener as he is not the type of 3C the Canucks would want plus his cap hit is $1.8 more and Logan Brown could fight Graovac for the 4C and Watson could be bought out for 500k cap hit over 4 years 

4 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Domi is making $5.25 Cap hit is a tweener and last 2 seasons has had injuries that made him miss significant time and in my opinion the Canucks would rather have a 3C like Tierney that is only $3.5 Cap hit that is bigger, tougher and has playoff experience in the pacific division at centre and has a history of putting up points 

I think Domi hasn't missed many games the past 4 years, if any and probably has played more playoff games in that span than Tierney. He also put up more points than Tierney. But if you prefer Tierney that's fine then wouldn't it make more sense to again move Schmidt for Domi, then Domi for Tierney. 

• Cheers 3

I don't have a problem with Tierney although saying he is tougher than Dome is just not correct. I am saying though that I would rather have Domi, Lind and OJ over Tierney and Brown as I believe that is an overpayment on our part.

• Cheers 3

Schmidt doesn’t suck, he is still a good 2nd pairing on a good team that can move the puck it’s his contract and cap hit that scares teams away, but Domi is a tweener as he is not the type of 3C the Canucks would want plus his cap hit is $1.8 more and Logan Brown could fight Graovac for the 4C and Watson could be bought out for 500k cap hit over 4 years 

Wasn't there news recently that Beagle is on track to be ready for training camp? Unless he is moved I'm sure the team will keep him as 4c. Brown couldn't crack the Sens lineup this past year but he'd be a good 4c here? 

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/475961

Canucks trade Oli Juolevi, Kole Lind, Nate Schmidt 

Canucks receives Chris Tierney, Logan Brown, Austin Watson 

Ottawa trade Logan Brown, Chris Tierney, Austin Watson 

Ottawa receives Max Domi, Kole Lind, Oli Juolevi 

Columbus trades Max Domi

Columbus receives Nate Schmidt 

Let’s hear everyone rip it apart lol

From what I remember his dad is Jeff Brown (Traded to Vancouver in 94 to help us get to the finals that year) and he had an affair with Captain Kirk's wife.  It had a terrible affect on the room (Obviously).  If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I would be concerned for our dressing room.  ::DB) 

• Haha 1

***Admittedly this depends on whether it fits the Sens timeline (any Ottawa fans here lemme know)***

I'm not sure I see the point of flipping Schmidt to Columbus for Domi.  The Sens have a crop of kids coming up and Josh Norris is looking like their #1 C.  If their kids need more insulating maybe they could sign another cheaper C to play #2?  Shane Pinto looks like a pretty solid rookie who could take that 2nd line spot (7 points in 12 games last season).  Schmidt would probably look really good next to Chabot though on the top pair, or they could split him and Chabot up and have him guide a kid like Mete/ JBD on the 2nd pair.

With Columbus out of the picture, I'd propose simplifying the trade a bit:
Juolevi <=> Logan Brown (if Vancouver is done with Olli)
Schmidt +  <=> Tierney (pending UFA C), Artem Zub (solid RHD)

The cap hits basically even out (both OJ and Brown are RFA; we tack on $100k but lose the term, and hopefully re-sign Tierney to a slightly lesser amount) and addresses current needs for both teams (the Sens trade out a C prospect for a LD, who could compete with their other kids for a spot on the left side; if he gels with their top-4 Schmidt could solidify their D-group, while Zub is a solid if less flashy D-man who can probably play top-4; premise is that we'd lose a piece with likely greater value but address the 3rd C role). 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't eat crayons myself but I did do this when I was six:

:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan