The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Like OEL and Garland but I'd much rather turn back the time to 2020, re-sign Tanev and have Guenther in the lineup.

And have kept toffoli and maybe got something anything for markstrom 

Hindsight ninjas let’s go

10 hours ago, R3aL said:

And have kept toffoli and maybe got something anything for markstrom 

Hindsight ninjas let’s go

Keeping Markstrom for the playoffs and letting him walk was palatable because we had Demko. But if we are playing the hindsight game, I would have re-signed Marky first and then trade Demko.

Toffoli would have been nice to keep, especially since Virtanen didn't work out. But he is again a forward, and we have one too many already.

Tanev, we never replaced. Just having Tanev in the line up, we would have made the playoffs last season and we would be off to a much better start this season. 

And to some extent, Edler's minutes were never replaced. Maybe Dermott could grow into that role? 

In a world where we still make OEL+Garland trade but keep Tanev, I think we get a pretty decent defence core.

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler replacement (Dermott)-Schenn

Not a cup caliber defence but a playoff caliber defence and possibly #1RHD away from becoming cup caliber. 

Anyways, let's go team tank! Let's bring Bedard home.

So much juicy content in this thread.

This thread really shows you who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

This trade might be the worst trade in franchise history.

Torpedoing this core and acquiring an anchor for 7 years... all while giving up a top 10 pick.  

On 1/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, aGENT said:

I'd do this deal again 11 times out of 10. We could trade Garland alone right now, for more than what we gave up. Complete no brainer. ALWAYS add value to your franchise when available. And he's young and cheap enough that he can be a solid part of this team when they're in their contention window in a couple years.

Never mind the cap clearance of Player Name/Beagle/Roussel.

And OEL has been fine. Our F's need to score more and he'll get more apples. Plus Rutherford and co need to make a move for a younger RD to flesh out our top 4 (and a defensive/PK 3LD while we're at it) and then OEL/Myers won't need to be relied on so heavily for match up duty. He was always going to get less PP points behind Hughes and has otherwise been stellar defensively. Still has plenty of good years ahead of him.

yeeee aight

:lol:

On 11/30/2021 at 12:42 PM, King Heffy said:

He hasn't shown any indication of a poor work ethic.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Me_ said:

It won’t.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:47 PM, coryberg said:

Loui was a 3rd liner from day one.

Oel is a top pairing dman from day one.

Apple_and_Orange_-_they_do_not_compare.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, Alflives said:

Don’t feed it, and it will go away.  

On 1/16/2022 at 6:59 PM, aGENT said:

We've posted about this elsewhere but IMO you ALWAYS add to your organization when given the opportunity. Sometimes that means selling (like we both agree we should do with Miller soon). Sometimes that's buying (like we did with getting Miller in the first place).

If it adds to your organization, you do it. Period. Doesn't matter 'where' your organization is in its cycle. It's the literal definition of team building. You BUILD.

spacer.png

yeahhhhh aight

On 2/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, aGENT said:

Meh, not really. Eventual cap minor inconvenience maybe?

D, unlike forwards tend to be productive until 34. Look at how well Edler played for us at 35, and OEL is a MUCH better skater. At worst, we likely have a year or so where he is a minor problem at the end there. And by then, that's probably getting near second pair money, which he arguably will still play at, anyway.

His contract also expires at the same time as Hughes, so it causes no barrier there.

And we DESPERATELY need top 4 D, so I really don't get what all the fuss is about personally.

You got 50k post but know nothing about hockey - it's crazy.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, Nave said:

The way the draft shook out, I think we won the trade. If one of top 4 D were still there, I'd be singing a different tune.

:metal:

On 3/9/2022 at 2:51 PM, canuck73_3 said:

That doesn’t suit the narrative of Benning bad everyone else good though. 

Jim is that you?

On 3/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, Me_ said:

No. LE for another year is as stagnant as not doing anything about the Sedins as they dried up into stale cookies.

OEL for whatever amount of years he’s good for is excellent.

I’m sure OEL in 6 years will be better than what we had in LE, and probably better than whatever players we would’ve sunk six mil into.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:33 PM, Nave said:

Benning did what he had to do to try and save his job. If he kept Loui, Beagle, and Roussel on the books, he would have been fired. It's easy for us to say he should have waited one more year, but ownership was not that patient. 

Dumping those 3 for OEL and Garland was a savvy move. Both of those players have played well since joining us. 

Obviously, if we did not do that, we would have tanked and ended up with a better draft pick; but instead we have a team that could make the playoffs. I'll take that.

It's not really the year to tank. It's a deep draft with an undefined top 3 with no generational talents. 

Obviously, Benning was fired anyway, but we should at least understand where he was coming from. His one mistake was trusting Green. 

savvvyyyyy

On 3/9/2022 at 2:45 PM, HKSR said:

I look at it as he identified dead cap in the lineup, and did what he needed to do to move it out, while also gaining useful players in return.

You need to realize MOST cap dumps are 1st round picks going the other way, and next to nothing coming back.  The fact he was able to dump LE, Roussel, and Beagle with a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick, while bringing back Garland and OEL is pretty savvy. 

Ruining this core's window and acquiring a cap anchor for 7 years = savvy.

Damn we Canuck fans really aren't that bright eh.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:19 AM, Spoosh said:

I still dont think this is the trade that screws us. Both are playing well. Hindsight might again say it didn’t pan out perfectly, but the mess we have with the cap was signing LouiE, Jay, Antoine and guys like Myers to the numbers we did in the first place. An off year waiting would not have done our core any good and most likely JB and TG would still be here if they had taken that route in the first place.

We are better off as it is now.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:56 PM, aGENT said:

He's a first pair D with a low end first pair, high end 2nd pair cap hit. That's not the problem. 

A perfectly capable, but ill fitting 2nd  pair D in Myers is a far bigger road block there. As are Virtanen/Holtby buyouts, Ferland, too many F's etc. You know, the ACTUAL cap/roster inefficiencies.

I see you're still in the denial stage of grief.  Next will be anger.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:14 AM, Alflives said:

Geunther isn’t much.  But the trade was horrible for us anyway.  We were only one year away from the three cap dumps we sent coming off our books. 

Our owner’s “win now” philosophy worked during the Gillis era (clearly) but has been a complete disaster since.  

damn the switch up is quick :lol: didn't you love this trade?

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

This thread really shows you who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

Torpedoing this core and acquiring an anchor for 7 years... all while giving up a top 10 pick.  

This trade isn't really this current team's "problem". 

Someone who "knows what they're talking about" should be able to figure that out.

By all means if you want to talk Boeser's extension, Miller's extension, not addressing the D, ill fitting Myers and his $6m hit, the Virtanen/Holtby/Ferland money etc preventing us from moving forward, and not sussing out whomever is/are the issue in that room, this summer...feel free. 

Edited by aGENT

On 11/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, JohnTavares said:

Have you heard of Loui Player Name?  The $6M third liner?

OEL will be the new Loui in a couple years.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:47 PM, coryberg said:

Loui was a 3rd liner from day one.

Oel is a top pairing dman from day one.

Apple_and_Orange_-_they_do_not_compare.jpg

3 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

Damn we Canuck fans really aren't that bright eh.

OEL logging 22:22 in ice time...nice bump donkey.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, only legit top pair D we have, with Hughes out...laugh's on us...:rolleyes::lol:

That really says more about this roster than it does about OEL. OEL has looked awful this year and he still has 4 years left on his contract. At no point in time did this trade make any sense. Even ignoring his contract and his obvious decline in play, he's not the type of defensemen you target when you have Hughes on your team, both in terms of play style and handedness. 

12 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

Even people who don't know what they're talking about should know this trade was terrible.

6 hours ago, whysoserious said:

That really says more about this roster than it does about OEL. OEL has looked awful this year and he still has 4 years left on his contract. At no point in time did this trade make any sense. Even ignoring his contract and his obvious decline in play, he's not the type of defensemen you target when you have Hughes on your team, both in terms of play style and handedness. 

The list of players who haven't looked awful this year is REAL short. Peterson and......?

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

The list of players who haven't looked awful this year is REAL short. Peterson and......?

That's not an excuse. OEL was acquired to be one of the leaders of the team, and step up when things aren't going well. You're lying to yourself if you don't see that his skating has fallen off this season. It's possible that he's injured, as I think he did suffer a lower body injury in the offseason. But regardless, with injuries and age he's likely on the decline already. He's already overpaid, and not put in position on this team where we can even maximize his value. He's mediocre on the PK, not as a good as Hughes on PP, and used in a shutdown role that does not play to his strengths. I need to look into the cap implications, but I think realistically OEL is a buyout candidate. The fact that we gave up a top 10 pick for him is an absolute joke. 

7 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

That's not an excuse. OEL was acquired to be one of the leaders of the team, and step up when things aren't going well. You're lying to yourself if you don't see that his skating has fallen off this season. It's possible that he's injured, as I think he did suffer a lower body injury in the offseason. But regardless, with injuries and age he's likely on the decline already. He's already overpaid, and not put in position on this team where we can even maximize his value. He's mediocre on the PK, not as a good as Hughes on PP, and used in a shutdown role that does not play to his strengths. I need to look into the cap implications, but I think realistically OEL is a buyout candidate. The fact that we gave up a top 10 pick for him is an absolute joke. 

These are Canuck problems, not OEL problems. He and Hughes are our only two, top pair capable D. That two management groups have so far failed to actually put competent, complementary players around either, is the problem.

It's amazing how many times some fans here will blame the player, and then watch the player go on to success elsewhere... Almost like the problem isn't the individual players...

Or do you need to see a few more examples?

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

These are Canuck problems, not OEL problems. He and Hughes are our only two, top pair capable D. That two management groups have so far failed to actually put competent, complementary players around either, is the problem.

It's amazing how many times some fans here will blame the player, and then watch the player go on to success elsewhere... Almost like the problem isn't the individual players...

Or do you need to see a few more examples?

All those problems are just the cherry on top. Again, the way he's skating and defending this year is not top pairing calibre. Seriously, which teams in the league would OEL actually play in the top pair? Certainly not on a good team. 

I would be more than happy if OEL manages to find success elsewhere, because it would mean we got rid of that contract. Realistically though, that contract is absolutely unmovable. 

4 hours ago, whysoserious said:

All those problems are just the cherry on top. Again, the way he's skating and defending this year is not top pairing calibre. Seriously, which teams in the league would OEL actually play in the top pair? Certainly not on a good team. 

I would be more than happy if OEL manages to find success elsewhere, because it would mean we got rid of that contract. Realistically though, that contract is absolutely unmovable. 

Neither was Hughes. Almost as though the lack of systems, system execution and poor team play has an effect on the performance of individual players....

Again, these are "Canuck problems", not "OEL problems".

How many countless examples of ex-Canucks playing well elsewhere, do we need to see before we actually acknowledge the real problems?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1