The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Good stuff. For sure things are a little easier if you go with Wright to Montreal and then Slafkovsky to New Jersey is so obvious. But one thing I've learned time and again over the years doing mocks is you've gotta do it one pick at a time. Too often people will look at it and say "player x is just such a perfect fit to team x" so they'll pencil it in from the start, except no matter how perfect a fit, some other team might get to the player first. Not criticizing your list, Wright to Montreal is still perfectly plausible, just where my head was at on the unconventional top three,

Now I'm thinking I kinda do want to finish the first round, just to see how I fair. My best ever were 7 in a 30 team first round in 2015, and then 8 in a 31 team first round in 2019. 2020 was pretty average with I think 6. Last year was brutal, I think I ended up with 3 out of 32. The Russian factor this year adds a whole different level of difficulty though.

Haha saying I took the easy wayyy! I did go a little crazy with Montreal trading for the second pick too. I hear ya though aha.

I just think Wrights their guy. It’s such a big stage for a pick and to take a risk on a euro power forward whose skating isn’t at the level of Wright or really any dominant first overall selection I’d be scared to do that if my head was on the block in Montreal. 

I did go one at a time in mine exactly like you said trying to think what their team will value most and go for. But there’s always wild cards. A mcgroaty, chesley, howard, kulich, ostlund etc can go way higher than expected in this draft. Tough to project but fun!

Last years was pretty tough but you were right about cole sillinger. 

I’m so curious where Yurov and Miro go not to mention all the other Russians 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, could this Bichsel eventually become a Byfuglien or Burns type of player?  

just imagine Burns or Byfuglien next to QH in 4 years.... drool

If Bischel was better offensively he'd be nearer the top of the draft..

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hughes and Bichsel could look good together. 

season 6 episode 25 GIF

They both skate very well (Quinn is on another level, though), but still, I can imagine them moving the puck really well, always getting out of trouble, making the right play up ice, able to get back quick. Bichsel also has the size to really wear down other top forwards with big hits. Does he have a booming "Sami Salo" slap shot? 'cause that could seal the deal for me. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Sometimes the best athletes can have the worst skating mechanics because, at least initially, their athleticism lets them overcome things that lesser athletes would need to get ironed out as a 7 year old taking a few speed skating classes. 

If a guy is athletic and doesn't have an ego, skating is one of the most easily corrected attributes. Not saying they'll develop Bure-esque speed, but they'll at least become competent. Horvat is one of the clearest examples of this. 

Bo is the exception. it's very uncommon for guys to improve the way he did.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hughes and Bichsel could look good together. 

season 6 episode 25 GIF

That's exactly, what ai'm hoping for. A stay at home a Dman to complement QH. 
a younger bigger version of Schenn... I could live with that. 
On top of that, he may be ready to start in 2-3 years. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They both skate very well (Quinn is on another level, though), but still, I can imagine them moving the puck really well, always getting out of trouble, making the right play up ice, able to get back quick. Bichsel also has the size to really wear down other top forwards with big hits. Does he have a booming "Sami Salo" slap shot? 'cause that could seal the deal for me. 

He does indeed have a booming clapper. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He does indeed have a booming clapper. 

They need this guy then. They haven't had a big shot like that from the point in 10 years. They had success with those big Salo slappers. 

Thinking, if Ohgren, Kulich and Kasper are gone, maybe they need to get a big defensive Dman with a big shot, who can skate and has hockey IQ (Bichsel)

In a few years...

Hughes - Schneider

Bichsel - Rathbone

If we get 'em both  :bigblush:

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Some people believe Pickering has huge upside. I think we do need a stud shutdown guy that is hard to play against, not sure Pickering uses his size effectively yet. I like the fact that Bichsel strikes fear in the hearts of grown men already and they will skate to try and avoid him. Also enjoyed watching him man handle Shane Wright at the U18's.   

@hammertime

Here's the question with Bischel, how are his puck skills? How does he do against the forecheck? Can he move the puck quickly?

What separates defensive defenders like Gudbranson & Zadorov from defenders like Pesce & Brodin? Puck skills & being able to process the game quickly.

If Bischel can be a top 3/4 matchup D then I'm on board (I like David Jiricek alot as a top pair matchup D & I don't expect him to be a big offensive contributor either).

But if he doesn't project as that then I think there's more upside to be had with a forward. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair, It's true BPA is subjective especially at that point. But even in the middle of the first round great players are available every year, you just have to find them.

Take 2017, from #14 to #18 there was a run on defenseman; Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Vaakaninen. They've all played but none really established themselves. Then the next two picks; Josh Norris (OTTs 1C) & Robert Thomas (over a PPG last year).

At 22- 23 Foote played 56 games last year on a Tampa team with a totally stacked D.

Now McDonagh is gone watch him get more ice time and flourish.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

At 22- 23 Foote played 56 games last year on a Tampa team with a totally stacked D.

Now McDonagh is gone watch him get more ice time and flourish.

Was their 7th D (in TOI P/G) in both the regular season & playoffs, was a healthy scratch in the finals.

I've always liked him but at this point he hasn't established himself as a top 4D, or anything comparable to Thomas/Norris value-wise. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

@hammertime

Here's the question with Bischel, how are his puck skills? How does he do against the forecheck? Can he move the puck quickly?

What separates defensive defenders like Gudbranson & Zadorov from defenders like Pesce & Brodin? Puck skills & being able to process the game quickly.

If Bischel can be a top 3/4 matchup D then I'm on board (I like David Jiricek alot as a top pair matchup D & I don't expect him to be a big offensive contributor either).

But if he doesn't project as that then I think there's more upside to be had with a forward. 

I believe he does but that's subjective. If he didn't have any flaws he wouldn't be available at 15. I think with his ability to stuff the rush through the neutral zone and counter attack with his size and speed he will be very effective in the NHL. He's not going to be the next Makar but he's a guy who can really tilt the ice and make a team very good in transition. He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade like Gud he has poise and calmness makes smart plays with the puck. He's a guy who I feel is very coachable. He transitioned from Swiss league to the SHL without skipping a beat give him another year in the SHL and some more coaching at that level and I believe he will iron the wrinkles out. 

I remember pumping Sieder's tires hard in his draft year even though he was very hard to watch in the DEL. I got roasted on this board for reaching when he was ranked in the 20's I regretfully listened to others instead of my own gut.  I feel much more comfortable with Bichsel as I have gotten to watch a good amount of him this year. He first caught my eye at the u18 before last years draft so I have been keeping tabs. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Was their 7th D (in TOI P/G) in both the regular season & playoffs, was a healthy scratch in the finals.

I've always liked him but at this point he hasn't established himself as a top 4D, or anything comparable to Thomas/Norris value-wise. 

As I stated he is on a stacked Tampa D. 

Hedman Sergy, Cernak and McD before he left.

He is only 23.

He will now get his chance.

This is what successful teams like Tampa do.

Get the best out of older guys like McDonagh, trade them, then feed younger guys that are on cheap contracts like Foote in.

Just when they really need cheap contracts.

He will be cost controlled for a few years at the least.

Wish we had him on our team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Cosentino has us selecting two-way specimen Jimmy Snuggerud.

Lord I hope not he skates like he's wearing clogs. I'm all about the big men this draft year. But Snug is probably not the next Stone.

Odds arent good dispite good point totals I don't see him as more than a 3rd liner. He may well be a good 3rd liner so have some salt but I'm not seeing the high upside with him or Geekie. Big yes great hands check but clumbsy skating. 

Rather take a chance on Dolzhenkov in the 3rd he can skate he's mean and an absolute monster.

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Sat saying some interesting things on Canucks Central. 3:20 Dan asks, "what do we know about how the Canucks are going to approach the draft"

Cliff notes;

Spoiler

'They'd love to get Mintyukov' 

'not quite sure' on Mateychuk at 15

Doesn't think Pickering, didn't say much about Korchinski

"wouldn't be surprised if they took a winger" 

Doesn't think the Canucks are afraid of taking a winger if they feel he's BPA.

'If they don't get Mintuykov or another D they like, it comes down to who best player is & it could be a winger'

'one guy I think they have interest in is Kasper'

'Buzz is Yurov could go day 2, Miroshnichenko is definitely going in day 2". 'One of those guys could be there in the third'

I like the fact they are high on Minty. Makar-esque qualities. 

• Thanks 1