The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nah, I don't think it's terrible, but realistically if he was a better skater he'd probably be a top 5 pick.

I agree, I feel like he's gone before our pick.

The problems with his skating can be improved upon. And the rest of the package is there along with size.

I am not going to say he will have a Bo Horvat level skating improvement but his straight line speed / power is there and if he works hard with the right skating coach every summer he's going to be fine. And I think his draft position will reinforce NHL teams see it that way as well.

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think I'm in the minority here but I'm not sold on Bischel at 15. I don't think he has much if any offensive upside.

I'm not so concerned about his offensive upside... I just want a D man who can, eventually, suppliment QH or OEL as a mean stay at home Dman. 
We are searching for some defensive help all over the place. 
When I, with my next to no expeeience at all, look at what is expected to be there at 15, I don't see anything that stands out. A lot of undersized players, a few C's (w question marks on them) but mainly undersized wingers, and a few Russian again with questions over them, so if we are going to pick someone, I'd rather they take a swing for the fences... we don't need small maybe offensive dmen, but we do need defenders, who can defend and maybe has some snarl to them. 
Am aware it will be a swing, cause if Bischel or Pickering were sure things, they'd be futher up the list. 
Big Dmen who can actually defend are not easily found, and thats probably why they are often picked in the second round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JIm Rutherford became GM of the Penguins in 2014 up to 2021. Here are the Penguins' draft picks over the years: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html . The names of the players he drafted are underwhelming, but do note that he never had any high picks - he only had 2 first rounders - and in fact, he didn't have a lot of picks as they kept trading them. 
He was also GM of the Hurricanes from 1994 to 2014. Here are their draft picks over the years: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005154.html . Definitely better, but not necessarily world beaters, imho.

So should be interesting this year. 

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I agree, I feel like he's gone before our pick.

The problems with his skating can be improved upon. And the rest of the package is there along with size.

I am not going to say he will have a Bo Horvat level skating improvement but his straight line speed / power is there and if he works hard with the right skating coach every summer he's going to be fine. And I think his draft position will reinforce NHL teams see it that way as well.

If anyone could have Bo Horvat like improvement in their skating I would say it's Mcgroarty dude is powerful and gets around with not so great mechanics. At 15 I don't think I take him but at 20-25 absolutely. 

16 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Cup winners over time run their prospect pools down, it’s more about the right mix, ie right handed D men…

but the pens continued to bring in young players either thru drafting or getting guys like Gustav Forsling for some guy named Glen who… 

Etc… they can boost a player and trade them, trade a guy that then comes back as an FA, cause everyone loves a winner… baby…

whatever magic Rutherford has, whatever his mentorship and good graces mean, it’s like having a happy Stan Bowman or a Lamorilo (sp?) but one you could want to have hand out Christmas presents to you kids at the staff party and not make them cry. 

it’s been a long time, and if the magic can take hold again, I think that there will be a number of key players that will be drafted by JB, but JB wasn’t able to take the next step after the bubble run.  

it’s easy to repeat mistakes, and harder to find success after losing it.  

Drafting is all about position. 

these clubs get repeat top 3 picks for years, struggle for years to get there. 

Had Bo not gotten hurt, a rare event, I think the team would have squeaked in… 

either way, the club is better than their record this year and the cohesion on the defence side will be much smoother this year with the group mostly returning.  

so I expect to see big improvement, especially in the first 25 games.  

but I am truly hoping to see a trade with our pick, up with sweeteners, and or down to add a pick in the top 50.  

I don’t see a lot of gap in the bottom 15 in the first… 

but I see major upside in Nemec or Jiricek, both would be fantastic additions and please, can we get Maverick!  Just cause one all name drat player a year… and he is a snarly  RHD who can skate with size.  

We had a major overhaul and a stale coach. Of course it took time to gel. Now what we overhaul again watch Boudreau fall flat on his face to open the season with 6-7 new players. Its a good team is it good enough? No? But we shouldn't be doing another shocking reset like we had last season. Give this team time to gel add a couple guys at the top trim the fat. Pearson is fine Garland is great, lets get rid of the floaters. 

3 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

JIm Rutherford became GM of the Penguins in 2014 up to 2021. Here are the Penguins' draft picks over the years: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html . The names of the players he drafted are underwhelming, but do note that he never had any high picks - he only had 2 first rounders - and in fact, he didn't have a lot of picks as they kept trading them. 
He was also GM of the Hurricanes from 1994 to 2014. Here are their draft picks over the years: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005154.html . Definitely better, but not necessarily world beaters, imho.

GMs have very little say in the drafting process itself. Far as I can tell Ron Delorme and Todd Harvey head up the amateur scouting department.

The biggest thing Rutherford's history can tell you is how likely he is to trade picks, and even there, context matters. Allvin will be much more involved in the draft, given his background in amateur scouting, but still how many games of how many prospects has he likely seen? Gotta just trust your scouts.

Edited by HighOnHockey

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

No I don't mean that. 
I mean at any time in the future. I want us to draft defenders with size, cause we have been in dire need of Defensive prospects with some size and snarl to them. If it takes 2, 3 or 4 years doesn't bother me the slightest. 
If we are to run with the core we have now, we are needing ELCs not just now, but for the next 2-6 years to prop up the team. QH and for OEL are our offensive juggernaults and there is even still some hope for Rathbone. 
what we need is players to support them, who can actually defend. 
Imagine Myers as a proper defensive Dman like Tanev, with a mean streak. This is what I am hoping for, if we are picking 15th. Maybe Pickering.... 
alternatively take a chance on one of the Russians...

I thought I replied too you but it didn't send :(

I agree and want us to draft Dmen with size and potential as well since they are so hard to acquire later and clearly a team need,

I do think Rathbone will become an nhler. Whether he factors into our plans or we use him as a trade chip to acquire aa different type of dmen of similar potential but that is stylistically different or a hockey trade of some nature could be on the table though.

Imagining Myers in that light would be a dream come true for our team and fans aha!

Pickering is an intriguing option. I am very curious where the goes as he's been rising on rankings as a high potential project.

I went from being dead set against drafting Bichsel at 15 to being very open to it now if our scouts and management decides he's our guy I am on board. I feel this way about the majority of kids here have a development path ahead of them I can get behind. Its a really interesting draft class this year.

But again I do agree if Bichsel could be a dominant shut down top four dman, with snarl and a BOMB from the point which is a package none of our dman have it would be a really nice piece tot add. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

GMs have very little say in the drafting process itself. Far as I can tell Ron Delorme and Todd Harvey head up the amateur scouting department.

The biggest thing Rutherford's history can tell you is how likely he is to trade picks, and even there, context matters. Allvin will be much more involved in the draft, given his background in amateur scouting, but still how many games of how many prospects has he likely seen? Gotta just trust your scouts.

They usually only weigh in on first round picks especially top 10 picks is my understanding.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Rutherford is not the GM

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If anyone could have Bo Horvat like improvement in their skating I would say it's Mcgroarty dude is powerful and gets around with not so great mechanics. At 15 I don't think I take him but at 20-25 absolutely. 

It really is a draft I would prefer having two later picks than the pick at 15. The development path is so similar in this draft from 6-35 as all these kids have trade offs and things that need to be developed / improved.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We had a major overhaul and a stale coach. Of course it took time to gel. Now what we overhaul again watch Boudreau fall flat on his face to open the season with 6-7 new players. Its a good team is it good enough? No? But we shouldn't be doing another shocking reset like we had last season. Give this team time to gel add a couple guys at the top trim the fat. Pearson is fine Garland is great, lets get rid of the floaters. 

I do agree with this big overhauls can be challenging for team chemistry.

But well coached teams with proper roster design don't take long to figure things out.

That's why when super teams get together for tournaments they can play unreal together.

this is just my opinion but I do agree big shakes ups come with risks and adjustment periods and different sets of challenges we as fans dont consider enough. 

Its more of a video game, plug and play humans on paper lineups for us fans without considering that side as much.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm not so concerned about his offensive upside... I just want a D man who can, eventually, suppliment QH or OEL as a mean stay at home Dman. 
We are searching for some defensive help all over the place. 
When I, with my next to no expeeience at all, look at what is expected to be there at 15, I don't see anything that stands out. A lot of undersized players, a few C's (w question marks on them) but mainly undersized wingers, and a few Russian again with questions over them, so if we are going to pick someone, I'd rather they take a swing for the fences... we don't need small maybe offensive dmen, but we do need defenders, who can defend and maybe has some snarl to them. 
Am aware it will be a swing, cause if Bischel or Pickering were sure things, they'd be futher up the list. 
Big Dmen who can actually defend are not easily found, and thats probably why they are often picked in the second round. 

I hear ya I just question if he even makes the NHL. He's more Hal Gill ceiling than Cernak in my opinion. 1100 games though ... if so sign me up too. I just feel he's being rushed up the standings due to size alone. Being big doesn't make someone an NHLer. I feel there are some real good players available. We need to get a player period not a longshot imo. That's for when you have an abundance of picks. We'll be sort of swinging for the fences as is.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Easier said then done, and who would they be? I'd get rid of Miller, Myers, and maybe one of Brock, Garland, Pearson, Dickinson, or Hoglander. 3 guys out probably 4-6 new guys at least. We need a new fourth line and a 3C.

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Easier said then done, and who would they be? I'd get rid of Miller, Myers, and maybe one of Brock, Garland, Pearson, Dickinson, or Hoglander. 3 guys out probably 4-6 new guys at least. We need a new fourth line and a 3C.

I'd start with what I can get for Brock and probably use some of those assets to move 1 of Dickinson Poolman and add a 3c/ Defensive D via ufa or Hoglander/Rathbone/ after pumping their tires a bit early next season. If we move Miller it will be for players of the present not for strictly futures or we won't make the playoffs  then we will lose Bo and then Pete. We rebuild which as a strategy does have merit and I'm happy to debate that.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd start with what I can get for Brock and probably use some of those assets to move 1 of Dickinson Poolman and add a 3c/ Defensive D via ufa or Hoglander/Rathbone/ after pumping their tires a bit early next season. If we move Miller it will be for players of the present not for strictly futures or we won't make the playoffs  then we will lose Bo and then Pete. We rebuild which as a strategy does have merit and I'm happy to debate that.

I still feel Brock is a 70-85 point player. But he needs a lot of things to go his way and he needs to be consistent.

With his father passing and a healthy offseason of training through his grief I hope he can channel everything into healing through sport and physical therapy. 

Markstrom did it I believe Brock can too. He’s had a lot of loss for a young man and a lot of hurdles with injuries.

His best is still ahead and I really do want to see it from him in Canucks colours.

they’ve def given him grieving space and I feel that’s a fair delay for contract negotiations.

im hoping Brock is reasonable and they agree on a longer term deal with a an aav in the 6s. 

because if we are faced with a decision of keeping 1 of Garland or Boeser. I choose Boeser but at the price of 7.5m / year I choose garland easy. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I still feel Brock is a 70-85 point player. But he needs a lot of things to go his way and he needs to be consistent.

With his father passing and a healthy offseason of training through his grief I hope he can channel everything into healing through sport and physical therapy. 

Markstrom did it I believe Brock can too. He’s had a lot of loss for a young man and a lot of hurdles with injuries.

His best is still ahead and I really do want to see it from him in Canucks colours.

they’ve def given him grieving space and I feel that’s a fair delay for contract negotiations.

im hoping Brock is reasonable and they agree on a longer term deal with a an aav in the 6s. 

because if we are faced with a decision of keeping 1 of Garland or Boeser. I choose Boeser but at the price of 7.5m / year I choose garland easy. 

This isnt really the thread for this debate so I'll try to keep it short. I really like Brock. I got a the flow t shirt his rookie campaign he's a beauty human being. And I will advocate for him being a clutch scorer when a team is really putting the defensive gears to us I'm usually looking to him to be the guy to get that timely one. 

Where I diverge is that even at Brocks best his success is directly correlated to how well his linemates get him the puck in a scoring position. He isn't really doing anything positive away from the puck it's like playing 4.5 v 5. So anything north of 5m for 25-30 goals given the circumstances is a non starter for me and I suppose likewise for his camp south of 6.5m. So it's probably time to shake and go different directions. He simply isn't fast enough or hard enough. I'm sure most teams would love to play against Brock 20 mins a night in a 7 game series. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I am struck by how erratic all of the different mocks have been. I can't remember so much variance in past drafts.  I am not sure if this says it is a weak or a strong draft.  I am sure it will be a surprising draft and, like every draft, it will take at least 3 years to see who wins and loses.

• Cheers 3