The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I suspect it's always a conundrum.  Prospects need to play to get experience but playing in and of itself isn't always the best way to develop a player holistically.  I assume an obvious factor for why Klimovich didn't play was that the Canucks were eliminated so quickly.  I would like to think that Klimovich would have eventually been given at least a game or two.  What does bother me to some degree was the decision to play Jett Woo on wing as I'm not totally sold on the explanation, although I do understand a line of argument that points to Woo playing on wing being better than Woo being scratched altogether because he hasn't been playing all that well overall.

Very curious to see Klimovich's development next season.  Hopefully we'll see a significant jump forward next season, not that he necessarily has to have an incredible year to be taking strides in the right direction.  It would be nice to see if only because the Canucks could use a bona fide scoring prospect with size and speed, and Klimovich certainly seems to have the skillset for that.

Klimovich was a swing for the fences pick.  He’s a boom or bust guy.  He has, as you point out, all the size and skill to be a big time scorer.  He’s very young, and appears to have the character needed to reach his potential.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

What does bother me to some degree was the decision to play Jett Woo on wing as I'm not totally sold on the explanation, although I do understand a line of argument that points to Woo playing on wing being better than Woo being scratched altogether. 

We are probably overlooking the fact that Woo has been with the team for two years and has become one of the most physical guys on the team other then Vinny Arsenault. 

I am not that shocked with the decision and don't think that fans should make a bigger deal out of it then the coach or the player. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, RomanP said:

You are absolutely right. Danila is absolutely fine after not playing in the playoff games.

Yeah he'll live, if that damages a player to the extent where he gets screwed by it somehow,  that, I think might be a red flag but at his age? I doubt it, and it's apparent he has confidence in his abilities. Walking into the AHL and putting up *some* points at 18 is a huge win, plus nights like hitting 2 posts doesn't help but that's just bad luck. 

As long as he works hard on consistency and keeps honing his complete 200' game, we might see him making frequent call up in a season or so and then hitting a shot at 2nd line. He has the skills for it, just needs work and experience.

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah he'll live, if that damages a player to the extent where he gets screwed by it somehow,  that, I think might be a red flag but at his age? I doubt it, and it's apparent he has confidence in his abilities. Walking into the AHL and putting up *some* points at 18 is a huge win, plus nights like hitting 2 posts doesn't help but that's just bad luck. 

As long as he works hard on consistency and keeps honing his complete 200' game, we might see him making frequent call up in a season or so and then hitting a shot at 2nd line. He has the skills for it, just needs work and experience.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:33 AM, -DLC- said:

What about sticking up for himself like this, he is just fine for one so young. Senney laid down like a baby when Klimovich came at him.

Thats a very powerful young man who will only get more confident this year, such a transition from Europe to Canada and the language barrier are large hurdles and it seems he is dealing with it all very well. I am hoping he becomes everything he projects to be. A nasty to play against power forward who can score.

I would suspect he wouldnt give two hoots about the playoffs (thats the past and the future holds so much for him)

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

What about sticking up for himself like this, he is just fine for one so young. Senney laid down like a baby when Klimovich came at him.

Thats a very powerful young man who will only get more confident this year, such a transition from Europe to Canada and the language barrier are large hurdles and it seems he is dealing with it all very well. I am hoping he becomes everything he projects to be. A nasty to play against power forward who can score.

I would suspect he wouldnt give two hoots about the playoffs (thats the past and the future holds so much for him)

I'm quietly excited about Klim, I like everything about his play including his passion and self demands, gets furiously upset with himself at the slightest mistakes if he makes one, a true sign of perfectionism, and if he uses that to his advantage, he will be all that much better than your average player. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

To be fair, he said 'has been' and not "is right now".  

Ok, I’ll be that guy lol - “has been” means that something began in the past and has lasted into the present time ::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

Ok, I’ll be that guy lol - “has been” means that something began in the past and has lasted into the present time ::D

I'm not so sure about that RomanP.  Take this hypothetical quote for example: "OEL has been a #1 defenceman in the NHL....."  This isn't an untrue statement, but it also doesn't mean that OEL is still a #1 d-man (as we can all attest to).::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm not so sure about that RomanP.  Take this hypothetical quote for example: "OEL has been a #1 defenceman in the NHL....."  This isn't an untrue statement, but it also doesn't mean that OEL is still a #1 d-man (as we can all attest to).::D

On 6/16/2022 at 12:34 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Still the guy has a lot of skill and it takes awhile to acclimate to teams and we're still a fairly new team overall but as he settles in he'll get better and better, and back to his old self BUT that being said, he did something not all top line dmen do, after someone (can't remember his name) went after Hughes with a dirty hit and OEL went nuclear and went after the player who did it. 

Having that in a top 6 Dman either way is nothing but good for us, we're still a soft team. 

We need guys like Myers and OEL who will push back, not just skate away. 

That, in itself, is something we as a Canuck team have lacked and we've paid for it dearly.

People quickly forget about that and same with how rough the playoffs get. 

Intangibles are what Cup teams have a lot in their players and that's what gets them there. 

"WE" can't afford soft anymore, a fun to watch soft season team is something we're all sick of, from the Rat on the Twins and shots at Petey, Brock and Bo were often were let go and that does nothing but say it's fine to do that and you'll keep getting away with it. 

We've gotten somewhat better but still a ways to go. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

...he did something not all top line dmen do, after someone (can't remember his name) went after Hughes with a dirty hit and OEL went nuclear and went after the player who did it. 

Having that in a top 6 Dman either way is nothing but good for us, we're still a soft team. 

We need guys like Myers and OEL who will push back, not just skate away. 

That, in itself, is something we as a Canuck team have lacked and we've paid for it dearly.

I couldn't agree more on those points.  In a way I'm very hopeful that Tyler Myers stays a Canuck and re-signs on a cheaper 2-3 mil deal in two years.  His speed and skating are so effortless that I think he will continue the trend of big d-men who play well into their late 30s.  

A lot of criticism of OEL and Myers seems to indicate analysis of boxscores as opposed to watching the games, in my opinion anyways.  I'm sure I'm at least somewhat biased though.  

Anyways, back to Danila Klimovich.  I wonder if he will be playing in the Young Stars tournament in Penticton? 

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I couldn't agree more on those points.  In a way I'm very hopeful that Tyler Myers stays a Canuck and re-signs on a cheaper 2-3 mil deal in two years.  His speed and skating are so effortless that I think he will continue the trend of big d-men who play well into their late 30s.  

A lot of criticism of OEL and Myers seems to indicate analysis of boxscores as opposed to watching the games, in my opinion anyways.  I'm sure I'm at least somewhat biased though.  

Anyways, back to Danila Klimovich.  I wonder if he will be playing in the Young Stars tournament in Penticton? 

I can't see why Klim wouldn't be there unless he's training with some others as in nhl'ers.

Oh and I'm biased towards bigger players, I'm so beyond tired of watching Smurf teams like ours get beat on.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh yeah ummm..  you know, as a Canucks fan the last time I let myself get excited about a player was Bure, and believe it or not Tryamkin, especially the way Train "threw" around bigger than average Dallas star players like they were Ragdolls but I digress, in Klim case, I expect him to make a serious run at the roster depending on how he works this off-season.

If I'm Klim, I'm working my a$$ off and make a splash when he arrives on the scene. 

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for this kid, he really does remind me of OV,  his skating and shot are very similar, and I like how strong on his skates he is. If Abby coaching screws this kid up I'll be one very pi$$ed fan.

All he needs is honing via NHL level speed to get a taste and hone inside his head like JV didn't. Has all it takes to make it but was a solid pick. I'd have done the same. IF he knocks it out of the park, it'll be something to see. 

I see a bigger Podz in him.. well maybe a bit meaner but he's big enough to back it up. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Oh yeah ummm..  you know, as a Canucks fan the last time I let myself get excited about a player was Bure, and believe it or not Tryamkin, especially the way Train "threw" around bigger than average Dallas star players like they were Ragdolls but I digress, in Klim case, I expect him to make a serious run at the roster depending on how he works this off-season.

If I'm Klim, I'm working my a$$ off and make a splash when he arrives on the scene. 

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for this kid, he really does remind me of OV,  his skating and shot are very similar, and I like how strong on his skates he is. If Abby coaching screws this kid up I'll be one very pi$$ed fan.

All he needs is honing via NHL level speed to get a taste and hone inside his head like JV didn't. Has all it takes to make it but was a solid pick. I'd have done the same. IF he knocks it out of the park, it'll be something to see. 

I see a bigger Podz in him.. well maybe a bit meaner but he's big enough to back it up. 

Yeah I loved that game when Tryamkin threw  a couple of Stars players around, as you said like rags dolls and then Benn made the mistake of dropping the gloves. I've never seen  Klimovich but fingers crossed

Edited by Fred65

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Please be true.....

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Please be true.....

More offensive flair and potential then Podz, but Podz has years of high end hockey development in the bag already. Coming up through CSKA academy must be pretty good for a young hockey player. 

I'm really excited for another year of Klim's development with the Sedins, Cull, and the rest of the team.