The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Buying low on a goal scoring legend - VLAD TARASENKO

To Vancouver: Vlad Tarasenko (~10 percent retained), Robert Bortuzzo (8M in cap)

To St.Louis: Tanner Pearson, Tyler Myers (9.2M cap)

Why?

• Buy low on the absolute legend cup winning Vlad Tarasenko who has a chip on his shoulder now . THE COVER of EA Sports NHL '17 baby

• Don't personally have a problem with Myers but he's not that much of an upgrade on Bortuzzo. Rather have Bortuzzo and Schenn battling it out + the cap space
  • Clears some cap for the Canucks to get the Petey and Hughes deals DONE. JP Barry said yesterday (On Dhali and Donnie) he expects another move from Jim Benning to clear cap before they sign
  • Tarasenko is a year younger than Myers
  • Pearson is fine but he'd be pushed down to the 4th line (Miller, Tarasenko, Hoggie) if this trade were to happen
  • Pearson doesn't have a NTC until next season
  • Gives Podkolzin a role model and some comfort in language
  • Dougie Armstrong can save face a little
  • 35 playoff goals in his last 77 playoff games
  • Canucks top-9 would be pretty dominant
  • Bortuzzo kind of got his chance to play again STL under Shaw (he'd played a significant amount in Pittsburgh a couple seasons before)
  • Benning set a cool precedent with OEL having ~10 percent of his salary retained could be done again

“Vlad’s shoulder is very stable and strong,” Dr. Peter Millett said in an interview with Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic. “He told me it is more stable and stronger than it has felt in a long while. To me, it feels rock solid. There is no doubt, Vlad will be 100 per cent ready for the upcoming season. I am confident he will be ready to play and that he will make a big impact for his team.”

It’s been 11 months since Millett operated on Tarasenko, who recently spent eight days at Steadman preparing for the 2021-22 season. He said the player’s left shoulder is “rock solid.”

Tarasenko is working out twice a day with high-performance trainers under Millet’s supervision at Steadman. He has a two-hour morning session that begins at 7 a.m., and there’s an afternoon session as well.

https://theathletic.com/2715841/2021/07/20/a-chip-on-his-shoulder-vladimir-tarasenkos-doctor-says-disgruntled-blues-star-is-healthy-and-motivated/

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Tarasenko - Horvat - Garland

Hoggie - Dickie - Podkolzin

Motte - Sutter - Highmore

MacEwen

Hughes - Hamonic

OEL - Poolman

Juolevi - Bortuzzo

Schenn, Bowie

Demko

Halak

I think it’s a solid deal for the Canucks as the Canucks can walk away from both players after 1-2 years respectively (while St.Louis would have Myers and Pearson on the books for the next three), but I’m not sure why St.Louis does this.  They will likely be able to get better offers out there.

55 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I think it’s a solid deal for the Canucks as the Canucks can walk away from both players after 1-2 years respectively (while St.Louis would have Myers and Pearson on the books for the next three), but I’m not sure why St.Louis does this.  They will likely be able to get better offers out there.

Agreed. We don’t need Bortuzzo and Myers+Pearson won’t be enough for Tarasenko alone. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Definitely a fair critique. I think the value for Vlad is really tough to gauge. He was offered up for free, and then passed on, during the expansion draft for example.

The source said emphatically that Tarasenko should have been traded by now and that the Blues are only further diminishing his value by hanging on to him this long.

“The trajectory doesn’t get any better,” the source said. “They $&!# on this guy … to their own detriment. It’s time to move him. The train has left the station.”

The source said Armstrong has miscalculated the situation, asking for “too much” in return. There were once four teams interested in Tarasenko, and there are still at least two, but the options are dwindling after Wednesday’s signings around the league.

Another example of that was the Blues’ decision to expose Tarasenko to Seattle in the NHL expansion draft. With the Kraken passing on him and selecting defenseman Vince Dunn, the source said it showed the rest of the league that if the expansion team doesn’t want Tarasenko for free, who will?

Full article: https://theathletic.com/2737558/2021/07/29/the-latest-on-the-blues-and-vladimir-tarasenko-source-says-trade-value-is-decreasing-its-time-to-move-him/

This gives St.Louis two serviceable players, incl. an improvement on defense. If they're gonna move Tarasenko they're gonna need to take on some cap. If there IS a bidding war for him, as Benning I would be open to adding a bit more though.

Nope. 

not the year to be playing that kind of poker.  

JB just fixed almost all his mistakes in one go, and he is supposed to run out and just make more very expensive mistakes.   

for a cup run, which isn’t this year, then swing away like MG did in 2011. This is a validation season.  

too much risk of losing the year on that deal when he already swung and connected on OEL.  

see what comes out at the deadline and focus in house and add depth if you can or bolster the farm team.  

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We have vastly different ideas of what goal scoring legend mean

Meh, 159 goals in his last 429 reg. season games, with more playoff goals than Bo Horvat+JT Miller+Brock Boeser+Quinn Hughes+Elias Pettersson+Connor Garland+ Nils Hoglander combined. Only 29.

55 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Meh, 159 goals in his last 429 reg. season games, with more playoff goals than Bo Horvat+JT Miller+Brock Boeser+Quinn Hughes+Elias Pettersson+Connor Garland+ Nils Hoglander combined. Only 29.

just....just wanna point out that Tarasenko has played 78 total playoff games in his career going all the way to the stanley cup finals and winning it all while Horvat, the longest tenured canuck on that list has played 23 and has 11 goals which would mean he's a comparable or even almost a more dangerous playoff goal scoring threat than Tarasenko...just saying.

https://www.nhl.com/player/vladimir-tarasenko-8475765

https://www.nhl.com/player/bo-horvat-8477500?stats=career-p-nhl&season=null

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

just....just wanna point out that Tarasenko has played 78 total playoff games in his career going all the way to the stanley cup finals and winning it all while Horvat, the longest tenured canuck on that list has played 23 and has 11 goals which would mean he's a comparable or even almost a more dangerous playoff goal scoring threat than Tarasenko...just saying.

https://www.nhl.com/player/vladimir-tarasenko-8475765

https://www.nhl.com/player/bo-horvat-8477500?stats=career-p-nhl&season=null

I know I know, I'm just saying he has a pretty good track record, and has won a cup. Technically a legend or not, he'd be a great addition to the Canucks IMO

Would take that laughing all the way to the bank. 
Getting out of Tyler Myers contract would be great moving forward. 
Cap flexibility and a potential and offensive upgrade. 
Not sure why St. Louis would do this but maybe they like Myers. Stranger things have happened 

Edited by DrJockitch

i like it... id take it. but will the blues? your proposal evaluation is not too far off. but why not just go all in? aquire Colton Parayko aswell? 

same proposal just add pearson, myers, 1st, 3rd draft picks with couple prospects like woo and karlsson. for Taransenko and Parayko. gamble time. 

Edited by KnuckleHead16

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Parayko for Myers and Lockwood?

lets be a contender again & go for it! like exactly how we did with toffoli and tanev! remember deep playoff run not long ago! that team when we had with balance on defence and offence! with colton and Tarasenko it is def possible to go the distance once again! balance! 

Edited by KnuckleHead16