The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three teenage hockey players killed in car crash in Surrey

Rate this topic

Just about 35 yrs ago I begged my Dad to sell me his 1967 Mercury Cyclone, with a 427, racing pistons, alumnim heads, etc.

25 yrs ago, because I was still alive, I thanked him for saying "No".

If you were doing 60 miles an hour and gave it too much gas, too quickly, you would pass yourself.

At 145 mph, the car would begin to get light in the front end, so most people never used the last inch of gas pedal.

Took until I was 25 before I could responsibly drive a stock 289.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just about 35 yrs ago I begged my Dad to sell me his 1967 Mercury Cyclone, with a 427, racing pistons, alumnim heads, etc.

25 yrs ago, because I was still alive, I thanked him for saying "No".

If you were doing 60 miles an hour and gave it too much gas, too quickly, you would pass yourself.

At 145 mph, the car would begin to get light in the front end, so most people never used the last inch of gas pedal.

Took until I was 25 before I could responsibly drive a stock 289.

That's why I waited until I was in my late 30's before I got a motorcycle licence. 

I on purpose bought a 2009 Ninja 250. The thing was a gas. (I curse the bugger who stole it.)

It had cheap insurance, and went as fast I felt comfortable. It was light weight as well, so I could pick it up myself if I ever dropped it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Honestly I'm just surprised that a 2.3L 4 cylinder can output that much power.

That's just too much power for a car of that size.

In the wrong hands yes but a solid car in trained hands. I have a 300hp Mercedes myself but it is more luxury yacht than sports car. 

• Cheers 1

• 1 year later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/alcohol-speed-led-to-crash-that-killed-b-c-teen-hockey-players-coroner-1.6665299

Alcohol and speed were both factors.

The driver had "moderate to heavy" alcohol levels. He killed two of his friends that day because of his irresponsible behaviour, ESPECIALLY as an N driver.

N drivers are not allowed to have a single drop of alcohol at all. They were going 187 km/h at the time. What the actual f**k?

Yes, it is a tragedy, but it was a completely preventable accident, no thanks to the selfish behaviour of drunk drivers.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, Bounce000 said:

Sympathy level went a tad down after hearing that, but it’s still a terrible tragedy for their families and friends.

Well said: context matters and hopefully, it will prevent another similar accident, from happening.   RIP

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Young men must have their fun. I am not going to judge them. Most boomers reading this never had N rules and it specifically said moderate levels of alcohol. So in their time, the driver did nothing illegal on that front. 

But I will fault the parents if they allowed their kid to buy a car like that and took no high performance driver training. Everyone thinks they know how to drive. Or ride. I dont have a son, but if I did, I'd stick him in a racing school for awhile before he bought a hot car. I own a 2005 Corvette.

• Cheers 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:45 AM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Young men must have their fun. I am not going to judge them. Most boomers reading this never had N rules and it specifically said moderate levels of alcohol. So in their time, the driver did nothing illegal on that front. 

But I will fault the parents if they allowed their kid to buy a car like that and took no high performance driver training. Everyone thinks they know how to drive. Or ride. I dont have a son, but if I did, I'd stick him in a racing school for awhile before he bought a hot car. I own a 2005 Corvette.

Most boomers reading this? I'm 41 and I had N rules. What do you think is CDCs average age group?

Completely irresponsible and definitely illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't N drivers allowed to only have one non family member as a passenger as well?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Most boomers reading this? I'm 41 and I had N rules. What do you think is CDCs average age group?

Completely irresponsible and definitely illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't N drivers allowed to only have one non family member as a passenger as well?

That's a good question. We sure get a lot of posters that say theyve been following the team since the 70's.

I had all the N rules too. I'm 38. 

It's irresponsible and illegal but man.. When you're that age , it's all part of the thrill.

• Cheers 1