The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which AMERICAN player in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which AMERICAN player in their prime are you taking?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's kind of strange because they've never really had a player who was considered the best in the league at his position for a long period of time.

Maybe Leetch 94-97? Brett Hull doesn't really count for me he's a 50/50.

Edited by canuckster19

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Found a guy that comes close but, different era and despite playing his career for the NYI is actually a Canadain.

Mike Bossy 1978-79   69 golas 80 games     6 playoff goals    10 games

1980-81   68 goals 79 games     17 goals              18 games       35 play off points

Bossy would be in the top 5 conversation more if not for a bad back injury. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I guess it depends on your definition of prime.  Not sure if some of you read that part of the question.  Even if Brett Hull was one dimensional 86 goals in one year is just way too ridiculous of a number.  Most of you are aware that it is second only to Gretzky but may not be aware that no other American player has gotten within even 30 goals of this mark.

The year that Hull put up 86, the next highest player had 51!  It's bananas!!

70 goal seasons:

Gretzky - 4

Hull - 3

Lemieux - 2

I would say 70 goal seasons 3 years in a row is a pretty good prime, especially when only Gretzky did more...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

SUch a tough one and really depends on the linemates. If I've got another pure sniper on the team I'm probably taking Doug Weight. One of the best passers of all time.

If I've got a top set up man, Brett Hull no question. 

In a vacuum (why are we playing in a vacuum) it's gotta be P Kane but there's a lot of honorable mentions here.

Edited by awalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Americans have never had an all time top NHL player to the likes of Mario, Wayne or Orr. They also never had a generational talent to the likes of Sid, OV or Mcdavid. It’s always been just below. Great players but a noticeable drop in this regard, which makes this one tough.

The player at his prime who I choose is:

Brett Hull (Lafontaine a close second).