The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you had to only listen to one genre of music for the rest of your life what would you choose and why?

buddhahoodlum

Hey man, well written. I believe what you say about heavy metal and as long as you can feel the music is all that matters. Not everyone is capable.

Although I grew up with rock and roll and rythem and blues, jazz is my go-to these days.

Cheers!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Listening to horses whinny, cows moo, goats bleat, and all farm animal noises is the cacophony I enjoy.  

Lol. When I go mountain biking or hiking I love listening to windsong, riversong, and the birdsong. But on the drive to those wonderful places, it's metalsong. Which, if it's the sound of metal on metal coming from the direction of the brakes and not the speakers, isn't a good thing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, InstantHockey said:

its called instrumentals, no ?

Possibly, but there's some music in that genre that does include singing. Now We Are Free from the movie "Gladiator" comes to mind as an example.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, InstantHockey said:

its called instrumentals, no ?

That's something I almost invariably hate, no matter the genre- an instrumental. Back in the day, albums typically only had 8 songs. And I'd feel cheated if one of them had no lyrics. A perfect example is Black Sabbath's Master of reality. That album had not one, but 2, instrumentals! One was :30 and the other 1:30. Out of 8 songs! Feeling a little lazy there Ozzy? I guess they couldn't drag him out of the pub. Oh well. To each there own.

1 minute ago, buddhahoodlum said:

That's something I almost invariably hate, no matter the genre- an instrumental. Back in the day, albums typically only had 8 songs. And I'd feel cheated if one of them had no lyrics. A perfect example is Black Sabbath's Master of reality. That album had not one, but 2, instrumentals! One was :30 and the other 1:30. Out of 8 songs! Feeling a little lazy there Ozzy? I guess they couldn't drag him out of the pub. Oh well. To each there own.

well it depends on what you think of vocals. I can't stand a mediocre voice with very little actual skill and control. So i often prefer instrumentals and its one of the main reason i don't listen to 99% metal or rap - only 1 in a million of them can actually sing better than the best kid in a random high school. 

5 minutes ago, InstantHockey said:

well it depends on what you think of vocals. I can't stand a mediocre voice with very little actual skill and control. So i often prefer instrumentals and its one of the main reason i don't listen to 99% metal or rap - only 1 in a million of them can actually sing better than the best kid in a random high school. 

I'm not a music connoisseur. In fact I can't even tell if a musician or singer hits a bum note. I can only rarely tell if someone is a really good musician. Take Prince as an example. Is he a talented artist? Everyone says he is. But me, I don't know. I just hear a jumble of noise. Pleasing noise, maybe. And it's like that for all music. I'm sure someone will make a snarky comment about that's why I love metal so much, but it is what it is. I feel music more than I think it I guess.

• Like 1

Metal. 

First started listening to KISS as a preteen 40 years ago, then got into Sabbath, Maiden, Saxon, Priest. Fell in love with Dio's voice. The Big 4 out of the Bay area, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. These days I love (aside for what I listed):

North America

Lamb of God

Trivium

Machine Head

Killswitch Engage

Other

Children of Bodom

Amon Amarth

Sabaton

Arch Enemy

Primal Fear

Insomnium

Soulfly

Swallow the Sun

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not a music connoisseur. In fact I can't even tell if a musician or singer hits a bum note. I can only rarely tell if someone is a really good musician. Take Prince as an example. Is he a talented artist? Everyone says he is. But me, I don't know. I just hear a jumble of noise. Pleasing noise, maybe. And it's like that for all music. I'm sure someone will make a snarky comment about that's why I love metal so much, but it is what it is. I feel music more than I think it I guess.

its all down to experience, which shapes views. Before corona happened, i gave voice coaching lessons to kids ( i can't really sing, but i have a good ear for the voice). So for me, if you can't impress me with your voice when all the instruments are silent and thus can't hide your voice, i am better off just listening to the instruments. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Metal. 

First started listening to KISS as a preteen 40 years ago, then got into Sabbath, Maiden, Saxon, Priest. Fell in love with Dio's voice. The Big 4 out of the Bay area, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. These days I love (aside for what I listed):

North America

Lamb of God

Trivium

Machine Head

Killswitch Engage

Other

Children of Bodom

Amon Amarth

Sabaton

Arch Enemy

Primal Fear

Insomnium

Soulfly

Swallow the Sun

When my gf said she wanted to see Amon Amarth I had my reservations. 1) I'm not a huge death metal fan (though I've been getting more into it in recent years), and 2) they seemed kind of cheesy. But holy crap they put on an amazing live show! And other than Johan Hegg continually hoisting an empty drinking horn to salute the fans, it wasn't cheesy at all. Those guys write some really great songs. 

Vikings! Raise the shield wall! Hold the front line! Fight to death!

F#CK YEA we will!

When my gf said she wanted to see Amon Amarth I had my reservations. 1) I'm not a huge death metal fan (though I've been getting more into it in recent years), and 2) they seemed kind of cheesy. But holy crap they put on an amazing live show! And other than Johan Hegg continually hoisting an empty drinking horn to salute the fans, it wasn't cheesy at all. Those guys write some really great songs. 

Vikings! Raise the shield wall! Hold the front line! Fight to death!

F#CK YEA we will!

Yes! I've seen them a few times, got to meet them. I also got to see them at an outdoor venue in Arizona a few years ago, and the stage was much bigger so they had the drummer on a Viking ship, Fire, etc. Some rockin' tunes. lol I had to laugh about raising the horn, but it fits with the song Raise Your Horns.  

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They say the music you grew up with is what sticks. Elvis, Roy, Platters, of course Buddy, and Patsy Cline. Loved their vocals. Holly was a innovator. Also liked some of the big band music even tho I am not that old.  

I was wondering what your age bracket was based on other threads. Thanks for the clue :) 

• Haha 1