The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Would you] Pettersson/Marner

Warhippy

The problem with adding Marner is that he's a RW, and we're pretty strong on RW. If we were to make this deal, unless someone could switch sides, we'd have to put either Boeser or Garland on the third line, and we'd be woefully short on LW, as Miller would have to move to center, leaving our top 3 LWers as Hoglander, Pearson and Motte. 

If we're just talking player for player, without taking positional need into account, I make this deal any day of the week. Marner has proven more that Pettersson at this point. 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, shiznak said:

This is blatant homerism, at its finest.

As I previously stated, Marner is one of the best defensive wingers in the entire league. He’s right up there with Stone and Marchand. Marner led his team (amongst forwards) in SH minutes, the past two seasons, and is 3rd in the league in takeaways, since entering the league. Marner is also deployed pretty evenly on the ice; career 60% offensive zone start, 40% defensive zone start. Compare to Pettersson’s career 73% ozs, 26% dzs.

So the question is, if Pettersson is a better 200-foot player like you claim he is. Why isn’t he on our PK or why isn’t his deployment spread out evenly on the ice?

I think a lot of people’s minds are clouded, because of his one poor playoff performance last year. And  before you say, “he hasn’t score a playoff goal in 12 playoff games.”. Marner was never going to be an elite goal scorer, never was. If you follow him since his junior days. He actually has a muffin of a shot. His game is an elite playmaking winger, one of the best. Since 2018, he’s ranked 2nd, only behind McDavid, in primary assists.

If both had the exact caphit and term. I think a lot of GMs would pick Marner over Pettersson, despite Petey being a “centermen”. Quotation on centermen, cause he really hasn’t played center for over a year and a half.

I think anyone who says no to this deal is bats**t crazy. 7.4M for a defensively sounded winger, who is guaranteed 80+ points is an absolute steal in today’s cap world. People keeps on clamouring about Horvat’s lack of linemates. Marner would be the ideal linemate for Horvat. I could see Horvat breaking 30+ goals, 80+ points along side Marner. Plus, they have that London Knights connection.

He led his team in shorthanded minutes because Toronto's GM is an analytics dweeb who didn't bring in any defensive forwards, and only two defensemen who can play defense for that matter.  No qualified NHL coach is going to let Marner float on the PK if he has any choice 

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He led his team in shorthanded minutes because Toronto's GM is an analytics dweeb who didn't bring in any defensive forwards, and only two defensemen who can play defense for that matter.  No qualified NHL coach is going to let Marner float on the PK if he has any choice 

He played on the PK in London too and won a Championship, under one of the toughest defensive coaches in junior. And it’s not like the Leafs put him there, because they didn’t have the players. Marner actually lobbied to be on the PK unit, because he wanted to prove he can do it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quick-shifts-maple-leafs-mitch-marner-loves-playing-dr-kill/

Marner, who’d served on the kill in two of his three junior year, approached Smith prior to the season and asked to join the unit. It’s all about reading plays, hustling back, making passes difficult on enemy forwards.

“Yeah, it’s something I wanted to do. Something I thought would be a cool challenge. Something I’d done before at other levels and something I wanted to try. For me personally, it’s not about getting scoring chances on the penalty kill; it’s just trying to make sure I’m doing the right thing,” Marner says.

Edited by shiznak

I'm just kinda happy someone else see's Marner in the same light I do.

Playmaking wingers are one of the rarest breeds in the league.

In the modern era, St Louis, Wheeler, D. Sedin, Giroux are some of the few you'd mention in that context.  It's a rare thing, like a puck moving defensively responsible RHD

• 2 weeks later...