The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, tas said:

there is a salary cap. which top player would you get rid of and which top 2 right d would you replace his dollars with, and how?

Ya but even before the Hamonic signing they should have looked at improving it some how with a player better than Hamonic. They didn’t really need to sign Pearson with all the forwards they had. With the money that was spent on Hamonic’s and Pearson’s contracts they could have gotten a decent dman but they don’t have the cap space now so shoulda, woulda, coulda. The gm just seems very narrow minded at times.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, JM_ said:

big body, good on face offs... dunno, we can put better puck movers around him. With our lack of a true 4C candidate I'm curious if Jim goes for him.

What I cant recall is if he has OK speed or not.

I think they're happy with Sutter as the 4C.  As for depth to fill in I think that Dowling is going to be the guy and he'll do especially at $750K

Benning has to be careful with the cap because there is a chance that Hamonic sorts out his issues.  

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

if we were to come back after that road trip something like 1W - 5L my concern levels will be significantly elevated.

Going to be a tough test, hitting the road for 6 games to start the season.  I want to like Green, but probably because everyone in the league seems to think he's a great coach. Or is that just the VAN media pumping his tires?  What I don't like is his okay attitude with losses.  The guy has a losing record as an NHL coach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

2-5 in the preseason. They haven't looked that good. Underwhelming actually, considering all of the "improvements" Benning made. Hughes is still getting too cute and losing the puck. Pettersson's one-timer from the slot is the same old predictable shot. Demko hasn't been good. Garland and Hoglander haven't been that good. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it's only preseason, but if they start the season chasing the pack, it could be a tough one. Maybe it'll be like a Whitecaps situation - once the head coach is replaced, maybe then they'll start to see results.

2010-2011 season (you know, the one when we made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final) - our preseason record was 3-5. Just saying…

Edited by RomanP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well I don’t know about fine. The PK has been horrible. It is a concern.

They're a lot better with Sutter.  

Did he get covid and is suffering lingering effects of that?  Is that why he has no energy?  His reason for missing pre-season is mysterious

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They're a lot better with Sutter.  

Did he get covid and is suffering lingering effects of that?  Is that why he has no energy?  His reason for missing pre-season is mysterious

Ya but when is Sutter or Motte ever healthy? Their track record for staying healthy is abysmal. Even if they do get healthy there is a good chance they get injured again. Relying on those players would be foolish wouldn’t it?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

I think before all the Hamonic bashing takes place, we gotta realize Canucks put him on waivers. 

They didn't suspend him or nullify the contract. 

There is one speculation existing out there that is saying Hamonic not getting a vaccine does not go against his contract so the Canucks don't have recourse to nullify the contract because Hamonic is not breaking any rules regarding fulfilling his contract. 

It could be that the Canucks don't want him around the team if unvaccinated. 

There is another rumour saying he is vaccinated but doesn't want to risk covid because of his family. 

At the end of the day, we don't know what is going on. 

I do like that JB has taken the classy road and protected Hammer instead of outing him in the media. 

I do wish he was back. Our D looks a lot better with him. 

Is Edler still available? Lol

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot feel Gadj, Lind and Olli weren't good enough to play in the NHL. Surprising, because these were top prospects only a couple of years ago.

I felt that they could one day be good enough to play in the NHL but never considered them as being top prospects. I reserve that for players like Petterson, Boeser and Hughes.

The jury is still out on how far they may progress in the coming years.

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I think before all the Hamonic bashing takes place, we gotta realize Canucks put him on waivers. 

They didn't suspend him or nullify the contract. 

There is one speculation existing out there that is saying Hamonic not getting a vaccine does not go against his contract so the Canucks don't have recourse to nullify the contract because Hamonic is not breaking any rules regarding fulfilling his contract. 

It could be that the Canucks don't want him around the team if unvaccinated. 

There is another rumour saying he is vaccinated but doesn't want to risk covid because of his family. 

At the end of the day, we don't know what is going on. 

I do like that JB has taken the classy road and protected Hammer instead of outing him in the media. 

I do wish he was back. Our D looks a lot better with him. 

Is Edler still available? Lol

I hope no one is bashing him. I do think he shouldn’t have signed a contract if he was having doubts about playing. There was a good chance that everything that happened was going to happen. He should have just said he wasn’t ready to commit at that time. It just really hurts the team in the end. He needs to do what he needs to do but he must have had doubts before that contract or knew the risks or protocols that may have been talked about being implemented.

19 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well I don’t know about fine. The PK has been horrible. It is a concern.

We'll see once the puck drops. The pre-season is there to get ready for the real thing. It's pretty hard to extrapolate this from mean nothing games. Imo that's the biggest place we'll miss Edler. This stuff all changes though when games are on the line. Hopefully we're decent there and we will be if Motte and Sutter return. They are top notch PKer's.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

We'll see once the puck drops. The pre-season is there to get ready for the real thing. It's pretty hard to extrapolate this from mean nothing games. Imo that's the biggest place we'll miss Edler. This stuff all changes though when games are on the line. Hopefully we're decent there and we will be if Motte and Sutter return. They are top notch PKer's.

They are also injured often, that is just a reality. So that doesn’t give me much comfort.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I felt that they could one day be good enough to play in the NHL but never considered them as being top prospects. I reserve that for players like Petterson, Boeser and Hughes.

The jury is still out on how far they may progress in the coming years.

Juolevi became a project.  If he's getting walked on a regular basis he's just not going to be in the NHL

As for Gadjovich and LInd, I think they project as 3rd line players.  Gadj still needs to work on his foot speed and Lind I think was close.  They were playing Lind in the middle in Utica last year hoping that he could become a 3C eventually

20 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but even before the Hamonic signing they should have looked at improving it some how with a player better than Hamonic. They didn’t really need to sign Pearson with all the forwards they had. With the money that was spent on Hamonic’s and Pearson’s contracts they could have gotten a decent dman but they don’t have the cap space now so shoulda, woulda, coulda. The gm just seems very narrow minded at times.

which decent dman could they have got?

4 minutes ago, tas said:

which decent dman could they have got?

I am not sure but a lot of great general managers find those trades and have those assets to make those trades. I don’t really put Benning in that great gm category. I just think great gms find a way to get things done rather than shrugging and say we couldn’t get anything done.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am not sure but a lot of great genral managers find those trades and have those assets. I don’t really put Benning in that category. I just think great gms find a way to get things done rather than shrugging and say we couldn’t get anything done.

so a hypothetical fantasy then. 

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Juolevi became a project.  If he's getting walked on a regular basis he's just not going to be in the NHL

As for Gadjovich and LInd, I think they project as 3rd line players.  Gadj still needs to work on his foot speed and Lind I think was close.  They were playing Lind in the middle in Utica last year hoping that he could become a 3C eventually

Couldn't we have grabbed Lind and shelter him at 4C? Like who are we putting at 4C?

Sheltering the 4th line is not a new phenomenon. Coaches always try to avoid matchups like 4th vs 1st line. It only really happens on icing calls when they gotta stay out. 

Edited by CanucksJay