The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rathbone has been more impressive & deserves to start in the top 6. But even if they carry OJ as a 7/8 there's legitimately a role for him to fill. And he could fill it with his playing style. 

^ this. Everyone trying to say it's either Rathbone or Juolevi. They both will likely be on the NHL roster and Hunt will likely be in the AHL.

Even when Hughes re-signs we will only have 4 LHDs: OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi. Plenty of space.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Green should audition OJ on the right side to see if he can do a decent job...  Versatility will win him a spot!! 

Makes far more sense to play one of the D who already plays a 'Rover' style, on their off side IMO.

Just now, aGENT said:

I think Hunt is the better guy sitting in the press box. He's shown he's capable and dedicated in that role.

Rathbone would be better served playing big minutes, all situations in Abby and refining his defensive play. Offensively he's more than capable at this level but would be behind Hughes and OEL for offensive minutes/usage. He needs to round out his game.

I don't disagree with this possibility. I personally think Rathbone is ready to step up. But Rathbone making the NHL roster or not does not mean Juolevi is waived. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Hughes can cover on the right side?? 

Yes. They said that from the beginning. But they wanted him playing on his more natural side when he was new to the league. Now that he's played for a bit it might and we have  a shortage of right shot D we could put him on the right side with Rathbone. Maybe they develop some chemistry. Hughes with OEL and Poolman with Rathbone

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Fixed it 

OEL Poolman

Rathbone Hughes 

Juolevi Myers 

Hunt Schenn 

That would be a disaster. 

Did you see the video that Pure... (whatever his name) posted about how good Rathbone is at D. It showed both Rathbone and Myers ahead of the forwards around the goal line.

Now imagine, Rathbone and Hughes playing together. What a tire fire that would be, forwards playing D to cover for our 2 dman that are leading the rush ahead of everyone.

Ouch.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Give OJ a right handed stick as well and give him the old " better learn quick, bud "

Green: “Here is your new stick OJ”

OJ: “Thanks Coach. By the way I think they made a mistake.  The blade is facing the wrong direction” 

Green: “That is not a mistake”

OJ:  :huh:

Green: “If you want a different stick I would need you to do a few more bag skates first”

OJ: “Thanks Coach. Not to worry. I love my new stick”.  :)

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

^ this. Everyone trying to say it's either Rathbone or Juolevi. They both will likely be on the NHL roster and Hunt will likely be in the AHL.

Even when Hughes re-signs we will only have 4 LHDs: OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi. Plenty of space.

Isn’t Hunt a LD? There defence is pretty thin all over.  Woo isn’t ready yet and he’s our 5th RD 

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Did you see the video that Pure... (whatever his name) posted about how good Rathbone is at D. It showed both Rathbone and Myers ahead of the forwards around the goal line.

Now imagine, Rathbone and Hughes playing together. What a tire fire that would be, forwards playing D to cover for our 2 dman that are leading the rush ahead of everyone.

Ouch.

on paper it would be a disaster but sometimes on paper doesn't translate to  an actual game. All im saying is try it out if it doest work switch Hughes to play with OEL... I mean i wish we still had Tanev. Him and OEL would make a good pairing. 

MacEwan or Gadjovich? Chances are we lose one of them to waivers.  I like both of them.  With Hamonic out both Juolevi and Rathbone will make the team.  Not a fan of Juolevi but I’d still hate to lose him for nothing.  Any word on Mott and Sutter? Are they sketchy about getting the poke? Or is it something else.  Canucks need a great start band I’m still optimistic but the vaccine mandate has made things uncertain 

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Ouch.

Rathbone and Myers can’t play together lol.  The 961089 is Bure, Tikkanen, Mogilny.   And I used to like Juolevi, it’s only the last couple years I’ve lost interest in him. Craig Button was Brutal tho. He pulled no punches on OJ.  

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Rathbone and Myers can’t play together lol.

Granted it was a small sample size of only 8 games last season, Myers was Rathbone's most used D partner and they were a fantastic duo...check out these stats. So not only can they play together, they actually have good chemistry and have shown they can succeed.

Rathbone Myers.JPG