The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

16 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

“We have a good relationship,” Benning told Sportsnet. “There’s no angry sides. We’re just trying to work through it to figure out how to make everybody happy."

Let's all gear down and have a little faith. It's a negotiation, and I'm sure they understand the weight of this for the team going forward

Quote is over a week old before Petey took off to Michigan and Kaprizov signed 9m x 5 jack and said his brother deserves big dough.

Lol.

You really love to have your head in the sand don't you.

Elliote Freedman Dhalliwal Craig button etc etc have all come out since then to say there is a  growing problem and a stalemate and the prices are way too high.  But you do you partner. Thanks for sharing though.

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Quote is over a week old before Petey took off to Michigan and Kaprizov signed 9m x 5 jack and said his brother deserves big dough.

Lol.

Elliote Freedman Dhalliwal Craig button etc etc have all come out since then to say there is a  growing problem and a stalemate and the prices are way too high.  But you do you partner. Thanks for sharing though.

Let's be real here, partner. You're the one parkouring to conclusions here. Not me.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Lol.

Do you think we should trade them, or just give in? (even if it means trading Pearson or Hamonic)

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Do you think we should trade them, or just give in? (even if it means trading Pearson or Hamonic)

Pearson's contract isn't very tradeable, not with so many teams against the flat cap. Hes a 3rd liner on 90% of the teams in the league. 

Hopefully New Jersey gives us a good package for QH, maybe includes a good young C so we can take Detroits 4 1sts instead of matching EPs 10m offer sheet

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really he would earn market value based on points alone not for his defense. if he was to say improve on his defense somehow and put up those points? we could be looking at like a 8.5-9mil arbitration which again we can't afford. arbitrators are dumb they'll look at stats only and if he is close to +/- 0 he'll get a big payday regardless of whether he was actually good or not defensively. they ain't gonna look and see whether he was sheltered etc etc

I guess JB would need to figure out what the arbitration criteria is.

I think I read something here that for every 12 min Hughes is on the ice, there is a goal against.

Does the arbitrator look at Barrie as his comparable or does he look at Cale Makar?

If Cale, does he deduct for deficiencies in defensive play, and term?  Because if we were to compare the 2 players, we would say Hughes shoudl get less than Makar.

Would that bring the number to the 8x8? 

If Hughes wanted less term though, would it then become more like 7m x 4? 

Canucks woudl then argue that Avs would be getting value on Makar's final 4 seasons when he is worth much more than 9m while Arbitrator has Hughes valued at 8x8 so at 4 years, he is worth more like a 6m avg player... because the hope would then be that from years 5-8, Hghes would be worth a 9-10m player...

Canucks would also argue that there is no guranteee that Hughes will round out his defensive game while Makar already plays a good complete game so the 8x8 is actually valued too high because of the unknown in whether Hughes can develop his 2 way game.

Maybe a 4 year deal (6,6,7,7) is the fair deal 6.5m avg and Canucks still have his RFA rights...

I think comparing Hughes to Makar and highlighting the deficiencies could actually benefit the Canucks.

I remember when Russ Courntall was going through arbitration and I distinctively remember the quote, "it sucks" because the team highlights all the crappy parts of your game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xol said:

Pearson's contract isn't very tradeable, not with so many teams against the flat cap. Hes a 3rd liner on 90% of the teams in the league. 

Hopefully New Jersey gives us a good package for QH, maybe includes a good young C so we can take Detroits 4 1sts instead of matching EPs 10m offer sheet

So we've gone the better part of a decade in a long dark tunnel, we finally draft franchise players that prove they are good (including a Dman projected to be the best we've EVER had) and we are going to trade them away and start over?

Its just not an entertainable option unless it goes Eichel/Dubois level nuclear IMO. 

1 hour ago, Nuck1991 said:

i think petey takes 8m 2 yr and hughes take 8.2 for 5

Way to high on both.

Evolving hockey who are pretty reliable have a 2 year for Petey at under 6 and Quinn on a 2 year under 5, similar to the Charlie Macovy deal.

5 years buys 1 ufa year if they go past 5 to 6-7 hes got the Miko Rantanen deal of 9.5 as comparable. With 17 million roughly available I think 9+ for Petey and 5-6 on a bridge is the ideal scenario since both sides get something but also sacrifice as well.

2 years from now if Hughes killing it hes 23 and can command upwards of 8.5+ on a deal that takes him to 31 where he can still get another big contract especially if he's still dominating and maybe he goes with his brothers. 

Hope it gets done sooner than later tho, getting tired of checking my phone every hour during the day lol.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So we've gone the better part of a decade in a long dark tunnel, we finally draft franchise players that prove they are good (including a Dman projected to be the best we've EVER had) and we are going to trade them away and start over?

Its just not an entertainable option unless it goes Eichel/Dubois level nuclear IMO. 

I mean if they don't want to be here... we've all seen how handing out huge contracts is working out for the Oilers and Toronto.

I don't see them not signing for real though, but its frustrating and really not a good look for who are supposed to be the faces of the franchise for the next decade. We've waited a long time to see a talented young team put together... but in typical Canucks fashion our 2 brightest stars are in Michigan 5 days before preseason, playing contract chicken with the team. Reminds me of Bure in a sad way.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think if Hughes and Petterson cant figure out a way to share the 16m pie, one of them has got to go.

Personally, I think they both know this and will sign eventually but are holding out til the very end in hopes that they may get more.

Is 9m x 3 years for Petterson too much?  Or 8.5 x 3

Is 7m for 4 years for Hughes too much? 7.5 x 4

That is literally the limit to JB's max offers unless he trades someone. Agreed with @King Heffy that giving them UFA rights is not an option.  Esp if contract amounts are maxxed out like this.

I still maintain that it's pretty funny that they have the same agent. I wonder if theyve already talked with each other and know they are going to accept the offer but through agency's instructions, remained silent in hopes that JB finds a way to clear a little more salary.

Personally, if they were waiting for that, I think they are terrible team mates because it could potentially remove someone from the roster...

If I was a teammate, I might not want to stick up for these guys during battle.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Xol said:

I mean if they don't want to be here... we've all seen how handing out huge contracts is working out for the Oilers and Toronto.

I don't see them not signing for real though, but its frustrating and really not a good look for who are supposed to be the faces of the franchise for the next decade. We've waited a long time to see a talented young team put together... but in typical Canucks fashion our 2 brightest stars are in Michigan 5 days before preseason, playing contract chicken with the team. Reminds me of Bure in a sad way.

Except Bure was screwed by the Canucks while Benning is a fair guy

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I still maintain that it's pretty funny that they have the same agent. I wonder if theyve already talked with each other and know they are going to accept the offer but through agency's instructions, remained silent in hopes that JB finds a way to clear a little more salary.

I would hope that is not the issue, I think they can probably come to agreement on the year ahead but problem could be in the subsequent years after.

11 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Way to high on both.

Evolving hockey who are pretty reliable have a 2 year for Petey at under 6 and Quinn on a 2 year under 5, similar to the Charlie Macovy deal.

5 years buys 1 ufa year if they go past 5 to 6-7 hes got the Miko Rantanen deal of 9.5 as comparable. With 17 million roughly available I think 9+ for Petey and 5-6 on a bridge is the ideal scenario since both sides get something but also sacrifice as well.

2 years from now if Hughes killing it hes 23 and can command upwards of 8.5+ on a deal that takes him to 31 where he can still get another big contract especially if he's still dominating and maybe he goes with his brothers. 

Hope it gets done sooner than later tho, getting tired of checking my phone every hour during the day lol.

9+ sounds right for Petey on a long term but how did you come to 5-6 on Hughes on a bridge deal?

That seems a little low and perhaps that's where the sticking point is. 

9.5 x 8 Petterson

6.5 x 3 Hughes

Doesnt that fit?

Why arent they signing lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1