The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol excuses excuses excuses.

You know other teams who have even marginal coaching use the preseason to work out kinks right? Rather than using it as a 7 game exercise to justify keeping plugs over young players.

yeah? working out kinks with petey and quinn? oh right, they missed the first half. working out kinks with brock? oh right, he missed the second half. 

before last night's game, the Canucks had a pp% that would have been top 3 on the NHL last year. 

34 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good.   If they won't put the effort on there should be a consequence.   Green the "softie" screaming and yelling and his guys... i can't wait to see what the next generation of coaches decide to do to motivate their millionaire players. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, tas said:

yeah? working out kinks with petey and quinn? oh right, they missed the first half. working out kinks with brock? oh right, he missed the second half. 

before last night's game, the Canucks had a pp% that would have been top 3 on the NHL last year. 

And a penalty kill that would not win them games against a junior b team.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

And a penalty kill that would not win them games against a junior b team.

yeah it's almost like their 3 main penalty killers have yet to be available to them, whoda thunk the pk would get off to a rough start?

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

It's one thing to say it, it's another to follow up. I hope for some fire next game, made all the more easy going against a winless Chicago.

Exactly if there isn’t already some concern there sure will be tomorrow if we play anything  like we did yesterday. It tough that was such a let down that I’m not very optimistic and I usually am 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Burroughs better be in the game instead of Schenn tomorrow.  Also, lotto line looked decent at the end of the game should go with that.

I like Burroughs. I think we really need him. And I'd agree if it was a choice, most times I'd choose Burroughs at this point for a 5/6 R hand. But for some types of more physical games Schenn should go in.  

I don't get all the Schenn hate on here.  No he's not the fleetest of foot. But he's not a pylon. He can skate. More importantly, he is one of, if not the only one on the team, that can put a little fear into opponents. He hits, and clears the front of the net well with his size.  

I know plus minus is not a complete indicator of a defenseman's value or reliability, as the top pairings will get the tougher assignments, but still, this is our D plus minus stats now for this season;

Bowey  . can’t find it. But a -19 career average.
Myers  -3
Hunt  -3
OEL  -2
Burroughs   -1
Hughes   -1

Poolman  -1
Rathbone 0

Schenn  0

From my eye test he's looked fine. I don't know what others are looking at.  And its great to see that rare event when a Canuck defenseman pastes an opponent into the boards. And I love how he is always primed to step in if any Canuck on the ice is mistreated by an opponent.  I am a fan of Luke Schenn.  I think if enough other players can remain healthy, and Green can use him more sparingly through the season, he'll be fresher, and invaluable in the post season.  I could even see a Hughes / Schenn rematchup in the physical intensity of NHL playoffs.

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good.   If they won't put the effort on there should be a consequence.   Green the "softie" screaming and yelling and his guys... i can't wait to see what the next generation of coaches decide to do to motivate their millionaire players. 

Coaching professionals is hard. 

You have a crew that just about makes a millions of dollars over years. Some in a span of a year, others over the span of their careers. They're so privileged. How do you get these players to play the right way. Not only are they privileged in just about every aspect of their life, but some of them are even entitled (worse). It's tough. So you punish them. LOL. I hope that practice was so hard, that they don't want another like it. Win in Chicago, and everything resets and is fine. 

Do this enough times though, and Green could lose the room too. Tough gig. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol good teams have more than 3 guys who can actually pk moderately effectively when needed. Our special teams are garbage from the system to the execution.

nothing is perfect in a cap world, especially 4 road games into a season without a complete roster yet. 

With all the turnover in personnel, I was expecting the team to take some time to find chemistry (which, IMHO, has been evident in the first few games), but the game last night was definitely a bit disconcerting with the lack of urgency in their game.  They were so-so in the 1st but then the wheels fell off.  Lack of urgency has been a theme with the team over the years even if they have had spurts where that's been OK.  I get the mantra of trusting in the process but the team really needs to step up its sense of urgency from puck drop every single game.

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Why is Dickinson talking about creating a culture of hard work and dedication? Shouldn't that already be in place or at least already being implemented in preseason? Lockwood was working hard and showed a lot of dedication to making McDavid lose his gourd. Where did that get him? Gadjovich showed massive improvement in his skating and positioning. Yet he was waived. 

One would think that there would already be a culture in place by now, seeing as how the coaching staff has been here for 3 years, minus Brown. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, tas said:

nothing is perfect in a cap world, especially 4 road games into a season without a complete roster yet. 

We are missing Sutter and Hamonic. Now Hughes which is a big loss. The other 2 aren’t anything other than replacement level at this point.

Its hard to imagine this team ever being closer to a full lineup than they have been.