The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I find that hard to believe when we’re icing Schenn and Hunt in the same game.

If we’re using either one of those guys let alone both at this point it means we need help.

I had juolevi ahead of schenn and hunt in pre season. Bowey was a bit up and down for me. I didn't hate Burroughs though. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, austy said:

I had juolevi ahead of schenn and hunt in pre season. Bowey was a bit up and down for me. I didn't hate Burroughs though. 

Yup Juolevi should be playing at a time like this. 

Instead we traded him for stopgap 4c and kept 2 guys that probably should be in Abbotsford (Schenn, Hunt) while we sat out the 6D we chose out of camp who's played well (Burroughs) 

After he got traded, the usual crowd turned on Juolevi and said nonsense like he can't turn, or he can only turn one way lol 

How do you become a first round pick when you can only turn one way? 

His skating was highlighted as a strength. Sure he's had injuries, but come on... He can only turn to one side? LOL

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

the canucks play high event hockey by design.  

They should change that because it isn’t and hasn’t been working.
high event hockey lol Sounds like another excuse for just being crappy defensively. 
high event  hahahaha if green is coaching “high event “ hockey by design he should be fired immediately.
Some coaches the  teach trap he teaches giving up tons of chances , good stuff I can see why people want him to stay however it’s mostly other teams. 

3+ years of hoping the goaltender steals the game, giving up odd man rushes and a lot of high quality chances

we might get shots but they are of the low quality. 

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, combover said:

They should change that because it isn’t and hasn’t been working.
high event hockey lol Sounds like another excuse for just being crappy defensively. 
high event  hahahaha if green is coaching “high event “ hockey by design he should be fired immediately.
Some coaches the  teach trap he teaches giving up tons of chances , good stuff I can see why people want him to stay however it’s mostly other teams. 

3+ years of hoping the goaltender steals the game, giving up odd man rushes and a lot of high quality chances

we might get shots but they are of the low quality. 

Lol high event hockey. What does that even mean? Tons of scoring chances for the other team?  Other teams certainly seem to enjoy our high event hockey. 

• Haha 1

How about designing an offensive system and pp that actually creates quality chances and sustained pressure?

Or a defensive system where you can watch 5 players literally not move for 30 seconds at a time while the other team sets up their 5 on 5 power play?

People who support Green and Baumgartner should watch some other teams play.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol high event hockey. What does that even mean? Tons of scoring chances for the other team?  Other teams certainly seem to enjoy our high event hockey. 

Perimeter hockey, as enjoyed by Detroit and Buffalo as they whizz past us in their rebuilds.

Chicago looking forward to their own slice of high event pie tomorrow.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So you don’t trust the professional people whose job it is to compile and package the stats or people who have a different opinion than you who don’t provide a shot by shot analysis but you do trust yourself who also didn’t provide a shot by shot analysis?

Ya that seems legit.

I understand being a homer but not actually understanding hockey is really no excuse to tell others they are wrong bud.

which professionals are you expecting me to defer to?

and, uh, yeah, it's kind of common sense that if I'm going to trust someone's unresearched and biased take, it's going to be my own and not that of the guy who I spent all summer arguing with as he constantly shredded the team he claims to support. 

50 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It doesn’t really matter much who is playing. The systems and style are garbage. I wouldn’t coach a u13 house team to play defense like that.

I agree the systems are garbage.

But I don’t think we’re likely to improve there with Hunt and Schenn in the lineup.

Schenn should never be more than a number 8 while Hunt should be a first or second call up.

If we’ve already bumped them up the depth chart we need to make a signing or trade.

Edited by DeNiro

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Is high even level hockey getting your asses kicked by an Eichel-less Buffalo Sabres team? If so, then you're bang on.

you mean the undefeated, tops in the NHL sabres? there's a reason they play the games. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree the systems are garbage.

But I don’t think we’re likely to improve there with Hunt and Schenn in the lineup.

Schenn should never ever more than a number 8 while Hunt should be a first or second call up.

If we’ve already bumped them up the depth chart we need to make a signing or trade.

I don’t disagree. Unfortunately Benning is willing to just waitfor Hamonic to solve his defense problems. Which he won’t because it’s not like he is that great anyway. 

I don’t care what the reason behind the scenes is, they should have terminated his contract as soon as he decided he wasn’t showing up. It’s not a charity league. Don’t want to play? Don’t get paid or take up a roster spot.

If it is mental health related then he should have been able to be put on ltir before the season even started and his job should have been filled.

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

I like Burroughs. I think we really need him. And I'd agree if it was a choice, most times I'd choose Burroughs at this point for a 5/6 R hand. But for some types of more physical games Schenn should go in.  

I don't get all the Schenn hate on here.  No he's not the fleetest of foot. But he's not a pylon. He can skate. More importantly, he is one of, if not the only one on the team, that can put a little fear into opponents. He hits, and clears the front of the net well with his size.  

I know plus minus is not a complete indicator of a defenseman's value or reliability, as the top pairings will get the tougher assignments, but still, this is our D plus minus stats now for this season;

Bowey  . can’t find it. But a -19 career average.
Myers  -3
Hunt  -3
OEL  -2
Burroughs   -1
Hughes   -1
Rathbone 0
Poolman  0

Schenn  0

From my eye test he's looked fine. I don't know what others are looking at.  And its great to see that rare event when a Canuck defenseman pastes an opponent into the boards. And I love how he is always primed to step in if any Canuck on the ice is mistreated by an opponent.  I am a fan of Luke Schenn.  I think if enough other players can remain healthy, and Green can use him more sparingly through the season, he'll be fresher, and invaluable in the post season.  I could even see a Hughes / Schenn rematchup in the physical intensity of NHL playoffs.

Did you not see him when Pearson had to take that double minor?  He literally skated out wide to let the Buffalo player to skate straight to the net, causing Pearson to reach in and take the double minor.  It literally looked like Pouliot out there.  Remember how many games he cost the Canucks by having one goal directly responsible as his fault every game?  Also, I hate everyone constantly trying to push the toughness agenda.  It is literally not needed to just have a straight tough guy in the lineup.  You liked what Roussell did in the Vegas series?  That was embarrassing.  You need tough guys who can play, not passengers who can fight.  This is not the 70's, this style of play has been obsolete for almost 20 years.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don’t disagree. Unfortunately Benning is willing to just waitfor Hamonic to solve his defense problems. Which he won’t because it’s not like he is that great anyway. 

I don’t care what the reason behind the scenes is, they should have terminated his contract as soon as he decided he wasn’t showing up. It’s not a charity league. Don’t want to play? Don’t get paid or take up a roster spot.

If it is mental health related then he should have been able to be put on ltir before the season even started and his job should have been filled.

they're not paying him

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Way to show loyalty to your players.  We don't know why Hamonic isn't here, and is it our business? NO.  You start terminating players for invalid reasons, and no players will want to sign with your organization.  You need to treat players like a first class organization, and from what I hear, the Canucks are one of those.  No need to ruin relationships by doing something stupid like terminating Hamonic contract.  SJ can't even terminate Kane's contract.  And that is an even worse situation than Hamonic IMO.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

what if his kid or another family member is dying? jesus man, get out of here with this $&!#. you obviously have no clue not only about hockey, but about human beings in general. 

• Like 1

i can't help wondering if the players are peed off because the lines are constantly changing, watching the bruins tonight the bergeron line is never split up, green should stick with the lotto line as it has been good in the past.

that being said it is very concerning about their effort last night, no excuses, 2 days rest after a loss, buffalo 2 wins to start year, disappointing

15 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Way to show loyalty to your players.  We don't know why Hamonic isn't here, and is it our business? NO.  You start terminating players for invalid reasons, and no players will want to sign with your organization.  You need to treat players like a first class organization, and from what I hear, the Canucks are one of those.  No need to ruin relationships by doing something stupid like terminating Hamonic contract.  SJ can't even terminate Kane's contract.  And that is an even worse situation than Hamonic IMO.

Like I said, there are various mechanisms available in the CBA based on different reasons. Medical reason? LTIR. Compassionate reasons? Leave of absence. Failure to report? Termination.

The fact that the Canucks only recently put him on a leave of absence rather than right from the start gives a strong indication it was just a failure to report. 

11 minutes ago, tas said:

what if his kid or another family member is dying? jesus man, get out of here with this $&!#. you obviously have no clue not only about hockey, but about human beings in general. 

Then he would have been on a compassionate leave right from the start, not staying in the roster hoping he would report short term.

You just told me you don’t trust official stats  trackers in the nhl because they don’t agree with your opinion. So maybe you shouldn’t suggest someone else knows nothing about hockey bud.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

3 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Did you not see him when Pearson had to take that double minor?  He literally skated out wide to let the Buffalo player to skate straight to the net, causing Pearson to reach in and take the double minor.  It literally looked like Pouliot out there.  Remember how many games he cost the Canucks by having one goal directly responsible as his fault every game?  Also, I hate everyone constantly trying to push the toughness agenda.  It is literally not needed to just have a straight tough guy in the lineup.  You liked what Roussell did in the Vegas series?  That was embarrassing.  You need tough guys who can play, not passengers who can fight.  This is not the 70's, this style of play has been obsolete for almost 20 years.

I agree with you to a point, yes the days of the "goon" are gone, but there are advantages to having guys on the team who will not hesitate to get in the scrum when things get ugly, or keep guys like McDavid thinking he is untouchable and thinking he can do what ever he wants on the ice. He is so cocky now that he is taking liberties with our smaller less aggressive players. This cannot happen. A McDavid who is keeping an eye scanning for an open ice hit is far better then when he can only worry about how many points he is going to score that night. 

We have two good examples of good and bad "pesky" play. The Good? Garland without a doubt, no cheap shots just intensive play which the opposition doesn't like. It also helps that he is a lot smaller then them for added effect. The Bad? Roussel. The Good? Meyers. The bad? Macewen, too little too late.

Its too bad Ferland didn't pan out as he would solved a lot of issues in this regard. 

The other thing that seems evident is that Green does not have an agenda for aggressive play which I am thinking causes a lot of frustration for players such as Miller. 

Another frustrating component of this is that is makes for very, very boring hockey.