The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The funny thing is it wasn’t too long ago that not having enough practice time on the road was the go to excuse for all that ailed the team.

Is too much practice time the excuse now?

The funny thing is it wasn't that long ago many on this board - actually a huge portion of the base - were fanboying, saying Green was the coach of the future. 

Accountability? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The funny thing is it wasn't that long ago many on this board - actually a huge portion of the base - were fanboying, saying Green was the coach of the future. 

Accountability? 

Lol that wasn’t me. Didn’t like the hiring right from when it was being rumoured he would be our next coach. 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol that wasn’t me. Didn’t like the hiring right from when it was being rumoured he would be our next coach. 

I wish we could access that archive. It would be telling.

A lot of people wanted Willie gone in the exact same way people want Green gone now yet the movement was Green was the best coach for the development of young players.

I'm not being a d**k bringing it up ... I see it as an opportunity for people to reassess before parroting the same info.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

A lot of people wanted Willie gone in the exact same way people want Green gone now yet the movement was Green was the best coach for the development of young players.

I'm not being a d**k bringing it up ... I see it as an opportunity for people to reassess before parroting the same info.

I wanted Desjardins gone for similar reasons I want Green gone now. Always thought Green was a bad idea even though I thought he was a good coach. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wow you mean people actually might change their mind when presented with new information? How dare they?! the message I'm getting from you: If you wanted Green hired, you can't later ask for his firing. Got it. 

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

To add to your point, it's completely unfair to compare to the Sedins, who unlike Petey, were twin brothers who could read each others' minds.

My point is not so much about comparing Petey to the Sedins or other greats but that he needs,

1) good chemistry with linemates that complement Petey's style and

2) become stronger on the puck.

If I'm a defender, I don't care about the puck. my first option is to just engage him physically and push him off the puck. He's not as elusive as Patrick Kane or Johnny Gaudreau so Petey needs to protect the puck using his body so that he can buy himself more time to make plays. All the great finesse players could do it. Sedins, Datsyuk, you name it. Petey definitely has potential to get there.

Regarding chemistry, Petey and Brock used to have something going and when Miller was added to that line, that line was completed.

And then Miller started to play differently, maybe coaches' instructions or maybe checking got tighter on Petey so puck went through Miller more. Whatever the reason, once Miller became the play driver of that line, things started to fall apart and Petey looked lost at times trying to do too much. And this goes back to the time when Toffoli was added. Petey got far too touches on the puck and a lot of the times it was Miller and Toffoli connecting on a play. Sure, Petey just his presence alone created time and space for the other two but it was a bit odd to not see Petey get as much touch on the puck as he used to.

Yeah, the twins were certainly a unique pair, there's been nothing like em ever. 

He needs to be put in a position to succeed, that's what you do with your top guns, and he's one of ours. But yeah, he definitely needs to work through it and work at shaking off his rust. Though it's not just rust, because of his wrist injury it's possible he wasn't able to train the way the others were during the summer. Not sure. 

But you make a valid point regarding protecting the puck, the easiest way to get it off him is def to be physical or take away his space. I think he'll figure it out, if he hasn't already. He's just gotta work through whatever he's going through like any other top player. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Those are apples to oranges though. 

I don’t remember too many cases where a current player publicly says anything negative about his current coach.

Thats the only scenario that applies.

That is not the only scenario that applies to his question. 

I remember when the buzz was that Schmidt had asked for a trade. Many people dismissed it as not possible because he didn’t say it publicly. That’s about as close as you get to giving an indictment of a coach by a current player under him though. 

I would be interested to hear which current player specifically publicly said his current coach was a bad coach. 

Green isn’t still here because of the players. He is still here because of Benning and Aquilini wanting him to be. The way this group of players are playing, it’s pretty obvious they wouldn’t mind a change of coaches.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Schenn landed at least 5 to the face, two direct blows plus body shots.

You could tell when he was sitting in the box he had some damage. Wasn’t completely one sided but close to.

Body shots seem like a waste with all the equipment on? 

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No protection around the stomach.

If you punch up and under the chest protector you can definitely inflict some damage.a

I'm not a player so I have never worn hockey equipment. Wouldn't catch me laying out blocking shots without protection in the abdomen/stomach!