The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

Missed the game...who fought, and apparently beat, MacEwen

Schenn. It was an old school scrap where both guys were just throwing punches with little to no defence. Not many fights like that anymore, reminded me of the 90’s

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That 1st p was an abomination. Shoulda' been down 4 or 5 to 1.

These guys best Wake TF up. It's Jan 2021 again...

They had 4 shots through the first 25-30 minutes. Unacceptable, especially at home.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

He was just trying to rile his own team up. He was looking directly at the philly bench when he was waving his arms around.

Then he must have got punched in the head more times than I realized.

Usually you save that for when you don’t get dummied in a fight.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Then he must have got punched in the head more times than I realized.

Usually you save that for when you don’t get dummied in a fight.

I definitely wouldn’t say he got “dummied” and I’m sure his teammates respect him for throwing down regardless of winning or losing the fight 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Thank god.

At least King isn’t afraid to shuffle things.

If I have to watch Miller do the no look drop pass to Hughes followed by the failed one time by Petey I swear…

Garland and Pearson will bring a different look. They were way too set in their ways that weren’t working on unit 1. Unit 2 looks like it could be just as dangerous too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nancouver said:

I definitely wouldn’t say he got “dummied” and I’m sure his teammates respect him for throwing down regardless of winning or losing the fight 

Schenn landed at least 5 to the face, two direct blows plus body shots.

You could tell when he was sitting in the box he had some damage. Wasn’t completely one sided but close to.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was funny after the fight when MacEwan threw his arms up like the crowd was cheering for him.

Seemed like he thought he still played for the Canucks for a second.

Also he lost that fight big time so I’m not sure what he was celebrating 

Do we have any forwards that can show up like Mac, well there was a Gadj guy.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Schenn landed at least 5 to the face, two direct blows plus body shots.

You could tell when he was sitting in the box he had some damage. Wasn’t completely one sided but close to.

Schenn definitely had the upper hand but Mac landed a few as well. Overall just a good old school tilt. Probably the only entertaining part of that game 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How was the energy level among the fans ?

I was at the upper bowl and it was pretty good to start and crowd kept it going until the second period. But it got a little flat in the 3rd period only to come alive a bit with about 5 minutes to go. People were pretty excited when we got a power play at the end only to squander it away without generating much of anything.

Not the best game I've been in terms of the atmosphere.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

This is where I would post the Dr Mario commercial but I think it would be considered inappropriate and offensive now 

My NHL feed doesn't show commercials during games. Happy to announce(being in Asia) I'm about 3 decades behind whatever F***ing products are being presently pushed.

Sometimes ride my bike & have 1970's or 80's jingles in my noggin..it's nostalgia with no option!

7 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Man, we were so fortunate to have those two. They were the catalyst for this team for years and I was fortunate to watch them grow into ppg players, and then superstars. We'll never see a duo like them again in this league. 

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm not seeing what Travis is seeing with Garland.

Even if it was a bad game, he's one of the few who can create offense right now.

I understand looking to improve the third line, but given Garland's start you'd think you'd want him in your top six. That, combined with his ice time last night, I don't get it. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Once the puck starts going in for us I think things are going to change quite a bit. Boeser could have put away that game yesterday and people wouldn’t be crying as much. In all due time I believe we will start rolling 

I don't think so. Winning changes the mood amongst the fanbase, absolutely, but this is year five of the same old song and dance with Green. Year five. 

He's actually one of the most tenured coaches in the league at this point, with barely any success to his name. One could argue Willie might have gotten more from less, and those were some miserable seasons too. Here's a list, if you knock off the guys who've since been fired there are only six coaches have more tenure than Green does, and Cassidy's barely ahead of him. The only one amongst those six who hasn't been coaching a successful team for a while is Blashill, and Detroit's firmly been committed to their rebuild for a while. Coaches don't typically stick around too long with the sort of record Green's had across his tenure. We've finished higher than 5th once throughout his tenure, and during a regular season we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2019-2020, we got in by the skin of our teeth having stumbled down the stretch. 

Those dumping on Green aren't just jumping on the flavour of the month, people are legitimately frustrated. 

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/current-nhl-coaches-listed-longest-tenure-team-073334713--nhl.html

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

But it’s not just about scoring.

Even if we scored on our chances and won say 4-2, we still played horrible hockey.

I don’t wanna just squeak out wins we don’t deserve, I wanna see a team play a certain style that’s effective every night. Right now if they keep playing like this they’re gonna get blown away by the good teams.

And that's just it, we haven't played any of the cream of the NHL yet. Sorry, Edmonton isn't it despite their record thus far. We simply haven't looked all that good. 

38 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

Reminds me Markus Naslund before Iron Mike straightened him out. That is the good thing I will ever say about Keenan.

Or was it Mark Messier?  Like it or not, both those guys had a lot more to do about Naslund's ascension then 4 months of Sundin had on the Sedins.   But that's rarely discussed. 

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Man, we were so fortunate to have those two. They were the catalyst for this team for years and I was fortunate to watch them grow into ppg players, and then superstars. We'll never see a duo like them again in this league. 

I understand looking to improve the third line, but given Garland's start you'd think you'd want him in your top six. That, combined with his ice time last night, I don't get it. 

I don't think so. Winning changes the mood amongst the fanbase, absolutely, but this is year five of the same old song and dance with Green. Year five. 

He's actually one of the most tenured coaches in the league at this point, with barely any success to his name. One could argue Willie might have gotten more from less, and those were some miserable seasons too. Here's a list, if you knock off the guys who've since been fired there are only six coaches have more tenure than Green does, and Cassidy's barely ahead of him. The only one amongst those six who hasn't been coaching a successful team for a while is Blashill, and Detroit's firmly been committed to their rebuild for a while. Coaches don't typically stick around too long with the sort of record Green's had across his tenure. We've finished higher than 5th once throughout his tenure, and during a regular season we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2019-2020, we got in by the skin of our teeth having stumbled down the stretch. 

Those dumping on Green aren't just jumping on the flavour of the month, people are legitimately frustrated. 

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/current-nhl-coaches-listed-longest-tenure-team-073334713--nhl.html

And that's just it, we haven't played any of the cream of the NHL yet. Sorry, Edmonton isn't it despite their record thus far. We simply haven't looked all that good. 

Sure.  But how under Green, we've got three guys he was willing to give tons of ice time too, two right from the outset, that became Calder finalists or winners.   And one can easily say his first three were still during our rebuild.    

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  But how under Green, we've got three guys he was willing to give tons of ice time too, two right from the outset, that became Calder finalists or winners.   And one can easily say his first three were still during our rebuild.    

I didn't say he's completely useless, but while he contributed to their success so did the players in question. Elias wasn't a nobody, he tore up the SHL and broke a decades old record while leading his team to a championship. Hughes was also a high pick who likely should have never dropped. I'd argue those two would have had success under another coach as well, they're that talented. I'll credit Green for Boeser, but he's not your typical 23 overall pick either. He'll be one of the best ever to be drafted at that number when it's all said and done. Ironically, numbers two and three at that number are Bertuzzi and Kesler. Only Ray Whitney had more success.

What I said earlier still stands true. How much rope does a guy get? How much losing do guys want to endure and how will that play into the contracts we'll have to give Boeser, Horvat, and Miller? Horvat's made the playoffs twice in seven years, where will be he at if that gets to eight or nine? You can credit Green with contributing to the success of some of our high picks during our rebuild, but how much rope does that buy him? Sooner or later you've got to question whether he's the guy who can take this team to the next level, and I'm not seeing it.