The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Gudbranson looking like a legit top 4 D under Sutter.

Might as well keep up with my some what unpopular opinions and say...

I never thought Guddy was that bad. His contract was but what he brought to the team and if he was correctly coached... I didn't mind at all. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is what Miller would say if he read some of the hot takes in this thread.

He shows a lot of his emotion and frustration on the ice, but I also see him make at least a couple of lazy plays every game. It's time for him to walk the walk. 

I remember there was a game last year where Miller completely let an opposing forward beat him wide and score a goal on Holtby who raised his arms in distraught at Miller. 

Miller definitely gives off Kesler vibes, but without Kesler's intensity and work ethic....so far, hopefully that gets fixed soon. 

Just now, stawns said:

do you think he's considred part of the core?  Do you see him re-signing in Van when this contract is up?

I've had many teammates that do that same thing and not one other player on the team thinks it's a positive.

I don't know.

I think I would be inspired by a teammate that shows some grit and energy like he does. Garrett was just pointing out the other day how many things JT can do. He's a vet top 6 centre too, we need that. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I don't know.

I think I would be inspired by a teammate that shows some grit and energy like he does. Garrett was just pointing out the other day how many things JT can do. He's a vet top 6 centre too, we need that. 

I'm not denying his abilities, though those have completely fallen off a cliff in the last year.  Just because a guy is skilled doesn't mean he's a good teammate.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Miller and TG gone by the end of the season

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

He shows a lot of his emotion and frustration on the ice, but I also see him make at least a couple of lazy plays every game. It's time for him to walk the walk. 

I remember there was a game last year where Miller completely let an opposing forward beat him wide and score a goal on Holtby who raised his arms in distraught at Miller. 

Miller definitely gives off Kesler vibes, but without Kesler's intensity and work ethic....so far, hopefully that gets fixed soon. 

Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

do you think he's considred part of the core?  Do you see him re-signing in Van when this contract is up?

I've had many teammates that do that same thing and not one other player on the team thinks it's a positive.

If you look at this team as players mature and graduate from their entry level contracts, some players with substantial contracts are going to be moved.  These hard choices have to be made by every team in the cap era.

Names?  Miller is first on my list tbh.  And no, I think that the temper is disruptive to the team as a whole and especially the younger players.

Myers and Pearson are other names on my list

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can’t tell me Calgary has a better team than us. Sorry no way. Not on any planet. 

Gudbranson looking like a legit top 4 D under Sutter. They have several goons on their team and are still able to penalty kill with no problem. Markstrom looking like the second coming of Patrick Roy. Even little Johnny is contributing.  Every time Mangiapane scores I get hungry. 

The personnel is the same as last year so what gives? There is only one difference with Calgary from last year to this year. The coach. Sutter is getting everything he can from that team. 

If Sutter was coaching the Canucks right now and Green was coaching Calgary the results would be the exact opposite for both teams. Looking at the two rosters I don’t think anyone can make an argument otherwise. 

There will always be the groupies group; but I like reading there takes cause they do have some valid points - sometimes patience is neccessary but the eye test on the ice product is still suffering from very familiar issues and sometimes a roster move is neccessary.

Also, I would like this forum to become an echo chamber.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not denying his abilities, though those have completely fallen off a cliff in the last year.  Just because a guy is skilled doesn't mean he's a good teammate.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Miller and TG gone by the end of the season

He isn't leading the team in points?

He's not playing well but in comparison to his teammates.... come on, top point getter used to mean something

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Good what a bad decision by Holtby and Miller . JT was getting beat, don't pass it up the boards. 

That had nothing to do with Holtby and all to do with Miller.  You cannot let up and allow a guy to beat you 200 feet down the ice.  

Totally embarrassing play by Miller.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to bring it up again this year, but I'm seeing a 28 year old player that's got the maturity of an 18 year old on the ice again.  

Also that was only one play highlighted, but Miller has a season full of lowlights like those where he's backchecking at 50%.  I've actually seen it this year again, Miller loses the puck and then is visibly frustrated and gliding back instead of hustling to get the puck back. 

When we start winning Miller will turn around, but he's sure not helping during the tough times. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

No argument here and I'm ok with moving on from Green and I've said, in the past, that JB probably wouldn't be the GM to take them to that level.......much like Noni's wasnt.

As I said, I think there's something toxic in that lineup and I don't think a coaching move changes that

toxic? dunno I have a hard time with that, given the high number of quality people there. Right now I'm looking at AHL level coaches (other than Shaw and Clark) and that is enough for me right now.

I think this group deserves an experienced NHL level coach thats won the cup, if for no other reason than to give those guys more confidence in the path. Green hasn't wont squat since Portland, and maybe thats in the back of the guys minds.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They added Coleman, Gudbranson, and a couple of other players. Sutter is a winning coach who knows how to develop a culture and identity and get the players to work within the framework of it. He’s won two Stanley Cups for a reason. Calgary plays a solid team game with everyone contributing. They’re going to be in the mix for a playoff spot, and will be a headache to deal with. 

Green doesn’t have anywhere near Sutter’s experience or knowledge and it shows. The Canucks are a team with no real identity or culture. They look cool when they walk in their suits, so maybe that’s the culture? On the ice, they chase the play, make errant passes, and struggle to get the puck out of their own end. Over an 82 game season, that’s good for a lottery pick. 

This team is in limbo and I think it’ll take more than just Travis Hamonic returning to get them out of it. 

For some teams, bringing in a coach who is going to be the lead dog works.  The Canucks tried that with Torts and it didn't work at all

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that there is no way that a team with so many changes is going to play cohesively in a short time. 

I'm not buying this tbh. Lots of teams make changes, and when you bring in so much more talent I don't think expecting more losses is acceptable from the coaches.

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This season will have a rough start and if Bennings moves pay off, it will be after Christmas before they show consistency.  And make no mistake, not all of these additions are going to be keepers so there will be a hand full of changes next year as well.

What ever people think of the coaching staff, are we really going to see changes until at least mid season when ownership does a full review with Benning?  I think not.  It's not fair to Green and it's not fair to bring in a new coach to deal with this mess.  

Yeah Jim does tend to wait as long as possible before making moves. Sometimes thats good, sometimes not. I'm hoping he breaks with his m.o. this time.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They added Coleman, Gudbranson, and a couple of other players. Sutter is a winning coach who knows how to develop a culture and identity and get the players to work within the framework of it. He’s won two Stanley Cups for a reason.

Green doesn’t have anywhere near Sutter’s experience or knowledge and it shows. The Canucks are a team with no real identity or culture. They look cool when they walk in their suits, so maybe that’s the culture? On the ice, they chase the play, make errant passes, and struggle to get the puck out of their own end. Over an 82 game season, that’s good for a lottery pick. 

This team is in limbo and I think it’ll take more than just Travis Hamonic returning to get them out of it. 

Good points; and just like Green, he was also once an unknown coach.  Last year, with Calgary he finished at. 500; management did there thing in the offseason; and now he has the team playing ready & competing.   Basically, an year by year improvement, is at the very least - what I would expect from Green BUT HIS OVERALL RECORD/WINNING PERCENTAGE SAYS ALOT (unlike Sutters .592 winning percentage)

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

toxic? dunno I have a hard time with that, given the high number of quality people there. Right now I'm looking at AHL level coaches (other than Shaw and Clark) and that is enough for me right now.

I think this group deserves an experienced NHL level coach thats won the cup, if for no other reason than to give those guys more confidence in the path. Green hasn't wont squat since Portland, and maybe thats in the back of the guys minds.

We have high quality people in terms of guys that you would have over for a dinner, but I don't know that our leadership group is good enough.  

Just because Miller comes out to complain about the insanely stupid decision to play so soon after the Covid outbreak doesn't make him a great leader.  Horvat is a very inclusive captain and I do like guys like Sutter being on the team.  

I don't know, I've seen good facets in our team such as the gutsy win over Toronto when we came back from Covid last year.  The bads are starting to far outweigh the good though, and by game 20 of this year we might see that last year was not a fluke and we have a team that can only handle winning, but not losing.