The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think I've identified the Canucks issues

There is a lack of execution / communication which results in option 1 being foiled. And then the problems arise. Canucks can't adjust fast enough to option 2 or option 2 is non existent. 

I had posted a play previously regarding Boeser being a sitting duck. 

This is where it all started. 

Canucks had the right play. 

McDavid was in deep. So was Pool Party. Poolman had full control. 

There needs to be better communication to put it up the wall quickly as Petterson was on the half wall looking to probably make a tip pass to Miller going up full speed. 

This should result in an odd man rush. 

Problem is Poolman was too slow to move the puck. He fumbled it and then reversed it to Hughes. This is when Miller needed to circled back and take inside track on McDavid to give Boeser support but McDavid recognized it and cheated towards Boeser cutting off a lane for Miller. Miller ended up taking the lazy route which ended up putting Boeser in a tough situation. 

I never played pro. How hard is it for a player to recognize option one got fumbled and now puck is reversed to other D with 2 deep fore checkers and a 3rd in the slot. 

Can another play be run with brains going fast enough to recognize this? 

Personally, I think this should be seen as a simple puck reversal with 2 deep fore checkers and a 3rd high slot and Canucks need to auto run a play out of this but obviously, at NHL level game speeds, this has to be second nature. 

Screenshot_20211101-120907_YouTube.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Thank god cause I’m not with this clown coaching staff.

I'm hoping the guys get some swagger back with Hamonic and Motte in the lineup. 

We're only Sutter away from a full team now.  I'm hoping Confidence can elevate their play because they have zero right now whether it be the system, coaching or their own inabilities. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That team still had a deep lineup and played pretty well though.

That year the top Montreal scorer was like 25th in NHL scoring, without Roy they wouldnt get a sniff of that cup.  Multiple OT games where he stood on his head, they were outclassed in so many games but Roy was unbreakable and ended up with the Conn Smythe.

I agree with your position that the Canucks probably wouldnt have lasted 7 games vs Las Vegas without stellar goaltending.  The way I look at it is the team shouldnt be discounted because a goalie stands on his head.  Its no different than a forward carrying a team....

Part of the problem is the collapse 5 man d system the Canucks played.  The goalies get shelled from the perimeter.  I know they were also giving up high danger chances but the goalies performance is exaggerated somewhat when the team gives up so many shots.

• Vintage 4

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

That year the top Montreal scorer was like 25th in NHL scoring, without Roy they wouldnt get a sniff of that cup.  Multiple OT games where he stood on his head, they were outclassed in so many games but Roy was unbreakable and ended up with the Conn Smythe.

I agree with your position that the Canucks probably wouldnt have lasted 7 games vs Las Vegas without stellar goaltending.  The way I look at it is the team shouldnt be discounted because a goalie stands on his head.  Its no different than a forward carrying a team....

Part of the problem is the collapse 5 man d system the Canucks played.  The goalies get shelled from the perimeter.  I know they were also giving up high danger chances but the goalies performance is exaggerated somewhat when the team gives up so many shots.

This is my point though. It’s not about one or two top scorers in the playoffs. It’s about team play. Depth players who step up and provide some clutch scoring. Top players that elevate their game too. Defense that can shut down and protect leads. A physical presence that can wear the opposition down. 

AND an out of this world at key times goaltender. 

The Canucks had exactly one of those elements against Vegas. Montreal had pretty much all of them through those playoffs. 

I don’t think anything can be taken away from how Demko played. Vegas had a ton of grade A scoring chances. The Canucks weren’t just padding his stats by allowing perimeter shots.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

tv show yes GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

• Cheers 1