The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hoglander gets himself into a lot of decent scorning positions but he needs to work on finishing and hitting the net with all those chances. Brock's all around game was far better last year, especially defensively and playing a heavier game. I think you may be selling him a tad short.

Perhaps.  I was mainly thinking of his offensive contribution. I don't see him as effective at distributing the puck, winning puck battles and creating space and his skating speed and edge work is average at best.  

49 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem with Hughes currently is he only really looks for EP. Every other team knows it and seriously cheats to stop that play. 

Would like to see OEL there more often tbh. He has a shot that gets through and on net and he uses both sides of the ice with his passes. Even if they replace Miller with OEL and keep Hughes there too we would be more effective IMO.

Yeah either that or Hughes should start shooting more. He has worked on his shot off season and we saw it on display in the preseason and first few games. 

I think he might be trying to get Petey going but he should just shoot and that should open up more room for everyone elae

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I like they’re actually trying to shake things up.  This could provide a nice look.  I might change Garland right side, Brock left, and Petey in the bumper.  No big slappers for Petey but he could very well be dynamite in the bumper spot.

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Still not using Boeser in a shooting position.. I'll never understand why not.

I do like the new look though, think Garland on that unit will help.

The bumper is a shooting position.  Very prime position from the slot.  Think how many goals Horvat has scored from there.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The bumper is a shooting position.  Very prime position from the slot.  Think how many goals Horvat has scored from there.

It can be for sure, but we haven't really used it as one this year. As well, Horvat and Boeser are different players. Horvat is much better in tighter checked areas and at getting the 'garbage' 

Boeser should be on one of the walls, being set up for a one timer or to let his lethal wrister go.

But I will wait to see it in game action before I make a real judgement. The above is just my opinion, I'm happy with the different look on the PP units as they definitely haven't been working so far. Now I just hope each unit gets roughly even time on the ice.

Edited by greenbean30

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem with Hughes currently is he only really looks for EP. Every other team knows it and seriously cheats to stop that play. 

Would like to see OEL there more often tbh. He has a shot that gets through and on net and he uses both sides of the ice with his passes. Even if they replace Miller with OEL and keep Hughes there too we would be more effective IMO.

Agreed, at least to try OEL in that spot for the time being.

Even EP has become stale within his own play and instincts.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yeah I agree OEL is much better at QB'ing a PP. It's mainly due to his understanding of how and when to shoot the puck. Quinn's getting there and has supreme passing but his shot is weak and a last resort and opposing teams don't respect it that much. The bigger problems are Petterson and Miller don't shoot the puck they just play ring around the rosey with Quinn until one of them loses it. Until those two start shooting it doesn't really matter what anyone else does.