The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Female High School Hockey Goalie Harrassed

skategal

Didn't know where to put this as it's about hockey but not at a high level.  Thought the story was incredible, apparently she was being called a Wh*re and shouts of "s*ck my d*ck" were being directed at her.  If I was the parent of one of those kids taking part not sure what I'd do but it wouldn't be pretty.  Suspensions should be automatic, whether kids actively took part, if they didn't try to stop it they share the burden of responsibility.  Shocked that no adults did anything - IMHO the game should have been stopped and automatic win to the visiting team.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/high-school-bans-student-fans-from-hockey-game-after-female-goalie-is-taunted/

An entire student section was put in the penalty box following a high school hockey game, where a female goalkeeper was taunted until she cried.

The Armstrong High School River Hawks have reportedly banned students from attending games in Kittanning, Pa., as the result of insulting chants directed at a female student who was in the net for the visiting team. ABC affiliate WTAE in Pittsburgh said River Hawks Head Coach Eddie Germy called his team’s student fans’ behavior “embarrassing” and “pretty disgusting.”

• Cheers 3

I remember going to games back in high school and hearing some chants that were even more offensive.  Pretty shocking to me as I was used to soccer and tennis before then.  

To make things even more bizarre, my friend would tell me about different hazing that they would do on his hockey team.  New players would have to squeeze a pickle between their ass cheeks and then waddle over without dropping the pickle.  

Needless to say, I never joined hockey teams...  pickup hockey was good enough for me!

Back in the 80s and 90s unfortunately this sort of thing was tolerated more. You know, the whole boys being boys bullsh!t, that let @ssholes off the hook for being @ssholes. But for something like this to happen this day and age, I dunno. It just feels like society keeps taking 2 steps back for every one going forward. I feel bad for girls and women everywhere. There should be a Man tax on everything guy specific. Like an extra 1% or .5% on men's clothes, grooming products, etc with that money being put into various women's initiatives. I mean some black people in America have received reparations. And in Canada we're trying to make things right with Indigenous peoples. There's still at least one marginalized group out there though. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4
  • RoughGame 8

22 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Back in the 80s and 90s unfortunately this sort of thing was tolerated more. You know, the whole boys being boys bullsh!t, that let @ssholes off the hook for being @ssholes. But for something like this to happen this day and age, I dunno. It just feels like society keeps taking 2 steps back for every one going forward. I feel bad for girls and women everywhere. There should be a Man tax on everything guy specific. Like an extra 1% or .5% on men's clothes, grooming products, etc with that money being put into various women's initiatives. I mean some black people in America have received reparations. And in Canada we're trying to make things right with Indigenous peoples. There's still at least one marginalized group out there though. 

You started losing me after your third or fourth sentence.  

29 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Alright dude, cool it with the gender studies rhetoric.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I remember going to games back in high school and hearing some chants that were even more offensive.  Pretty shocking to me as I was used to soccer and tennis before then.  

To make things even more bizarre, my friend would tell me about different hazing that they would do on his hockey team.  New players would have to squeeze a pickle between their ass cheeks and then waddle over without dropping the pickle.  

Needless to say, I never joined hockey teams...  pickup hockey was good enough for me!

thats just funny, thats good hazing

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

that tax could cause a war between the poor uneducated males and and every female out there. you're not thinking about the consequences.

instead more money should be put towards female education who have children, and also subsidies for female run business. this will solve a lot of problems in society. the main reason for the wage gap is because females take time off to care for the children. if they could get a chance to get schooling and increase their wages with a higher education it will also help the wage gap from the poor.

to support family growth and health, money should be put towards free counselling for teenagers, young adults under 40 who have suffered abuse or neglect and all people with children who are under age 18.

investing in families is the way to go for canada

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

What did I do. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

This is all wrong. 

Women can be just as bad if not worse than guys.

In Auschwitz, the worst guards were women but they got off because society deemed them women and impossible for a women to do something like that.

Margaret Thatcher call the male British council female body parts because they did not want a war with Argentina over the Falkland islands.

The list is long and there were girls involved in those chants, 100%.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's amazing how much stuff was deemed "acceptable" not that long ago. I hear about this story, and it's freakin' disgusting. I am glad we live in a society where the vast majority of people are finally standing up against this kind of behavior.

When I was in Jr. high, I was bullied relentlessly. Walls of physical and emotional abuse on a near daily basis combined with a progression into chronic depression made high school live exceptionally challenging for me. At the time, schools had very little education on the matter nor interest in supporting those affected. I can only imagine how much different those years would have been had anybody gave a sh*t.

We're still not nearly where we need to be. We need the message so clear that those interested in participating become the deep minority, and their peers are the ones who keep abuse from progressing. As it stands, the adults are still the ones trying to lead the charge to eliminate this kind of behavior. And given the Blackhawks, we can see that even there we have been falling woefully short. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Should probably receive more discipline from the school than just a ban from hockey games. An opportunity to teach those young boys something.

Agreed.  The school should be taking action.  Harassments should not be tolerated. 

Someone mentioned punishing all the innocent on-lookers...  That can not be the go-to.  People are allowed to BE.  Super slippery slope there.  WE have laws for a reason.  To punish those that break social standards.  welcome to 1984 if that's the case. People that charge into danger are hero's and should be celebrated examples rather.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CoquitlamDave said:

Agreed.  The school should be taking action.  Harassments should not be tolerated. 

Someone mentioned punishing all the innocent on-lookers...  That can not be the go-to.  People are allowed to BE.  Super slippery slope there.  WE have laws for a reason.  To punish those that break social standards.  welcome to 1984 if that's the case. People that charge into danger are hero's and should be celebrated examples rather.  

Yeah suggesting that innocent bystanders be deemed culpable is messed up. It would lead to people running away from any sign of trouble and people running away from scenes of accidents instead of helping.