The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About the cost of an NHL coach. Green is getting NHL money to coach for one thing. 2.5 million per i think it is.

Second. Babcock was getting 6 million but his stock has fallen. I doubt he would get anything more than half that. Maybe he would take a low ball to try and repair his legacy. For that reason , I'm not as opposed to Babcock as i was. He would probably clean up his act if he got another chance.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

About the cost of an NHL coach. Green is getting NHL money to coach for one thing. 2.5 million per i think it is.

Second. Babcock was getting 6 million but his stock has fallen. I doubt he would get anything more than half that. Maybe he would take a low ball to try and repair his legacy. For that reason , I'm not as opposed to Babcock as i was. He would probably clean up his act if he got another chance.

This. I am warning up to Babcock, if he wants to inherit this mess. I like what Calgary did with Sutter, giving him some time before going into an off season to make changes. Having Babcock would allow the hiring of a less experienced GM to work together. None of the old geezer GM's out there interest me at all. Maybe Gorton. Babcock can be abrasive but I am hoping he has learned some tough lessons. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, Beefcake said:

A rookie coach didn't work out in Vancouver so maybe it's time to try a veteran coach

I don't care if the coach is a rookie or veteran. I want a coach who is passionate about coaching and has the ability to connect with the players on our team. Someone that they have fun playing for. Who they look forward to going to battle for. A lot of old coaches have lost their passion. Great people are not equal. The X factor in what makes a coach great doesn't necessarily have to do with experience. Being in the right head space to lead a hockey team to a championship is more important than a resume. 

16 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He’d have to clean up his act. If he doesn’t, and the Canucks gave him another chance, that literally would be his last kick of the can to find a coaching gig in the NHL 

Personally, I see it this way. 

Julien if you want a more defensive system. 

Boudreau if you want a run-and-gun kind of team; more offense, not as strong defensively. 

Babcock if you want a hard-knocks kind of coach. He’s won a Cup, decent playoff record/winning percentage, and has won in two tough markets (well, at least regular seasons in Toronto; could never get the Leafs over the playoff hump when he was there). 

If you want the absolute most qualified in terms of resume, then it’s gotta be Babcock. 

I’m not sure if he’ll come cheap either. 

Going to suggest a very unPC suggestion.

Play Shaw, or another stand-in coach until the end of the season. Then, consider a more contrite, humbled, Joel Quenneville.  By the end of the season, with more water under the bridge, he will be more palatable.

I believe in second chances. As far as I see, he did not directly abuse Beach. He did turn a blind eye though. Still bad. He made a big mistake choosing what he thought was keeping the team more stable by not upsetting the apple cart. He was too driven to win the Cup.

All I'm saying is this;

You bet your britches, or hockey pants, that by next Summer, even Spring, there will be another team that will hire him. Another team will consider time served, and accept his contriteness. He's too good not to be hired again. Even Bettman kept that avenue open for him.

But Vancouver is too PC?  Maybe I'm just beyond frustrated with this team hiring insiders and first timers, both in management and coaching.  Always choosing second best. Exception Pat Quinn.  Quenneville would instantly give this team a huge lift, with players wanting to stay here and learn from him.  .

Related is how we were all praising Jim for NOT picking that naughty boy Tkachuk over the nice Swede.

Grooming another placid Captain to replace the turn the other cheek Henrik

Even on this board, Miller is disparaged for actually showing emotion and saying bad words on the ice. Shocking!!! Who cares that he's the team's biggest point producer. Trade him, he must be a cancer!

Maybe I've lowered my standards, and I know some here will never agree, but why can't we have the best hockey minds here.  Not just the best with the general public. The best hockey workers, warts and all.  Because, mark my words, sooner or later, Quenneville will be standing behind the bench again.  Bettman has kept the door open. And will we once again watch another team benefit because our PC cold feet?

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

I’m starting to lean to Boudreau over Julien , I’m sold if he brings in Scott Walker as an assistant. 

I enjoyed the high offence / poor defensive play in the bubble year, it was exciting to watch scoring 5 goals every night. I understand Boudreau  is more offence minded , the current defensive structure is the worst system in Green’s 5 year career.