The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Just watching a bunch o Saturday games. 

watching how good teams penalty kill.

They are so much more aggressive than the Canucks.  Constant pressure on the player possessing the puck. 

Contrast that with how the Canucks collapse into a tight box and let the teams do whatever they want on the Perimeter. It’s so awful to watch.  This is how they defend 5v5 too. 

Coaching … yeah I know I’m Beating a dead horse ! 

100% agree with you.

Canucks aren't even playing like an NHL caliber team right now.

One of the worst teams in the league, sad to say.

After watching king heffy body bag green and his henchmen (which he is absolutely correct) I’ve decided to weigh in ….. you all now have your sample size …. Although I missed last nights game …. The team has been playing like garbage ….. our pk sucks , especially since we have been watching beagle and sutter run it for a few seasons. I always said we took having those two (one always being out there) for granted. Short man will get better when sutter DNA returns to the room …. Pp shuffle looks like it worked based on the box score I’m about to watch highlights….. BUT THIS CHIP AND CHASE NONSENSE GOT TO GO.Our team is too talented from the front to the back end to be playing this stupid grind house 5on5 play.Our team is built around speed and skill now,Ala Garland oel trade. time to start playing that way ….. I was saying all along benning should have have Babcock a call while he was in broadcasting before taking the college job…. I was all for green in the bubble especially after the locker room video of him saying turn the music up …. But there’s absolutely no excuse for how terrible most of this teams displays have been . We are way too good on paper to be this awful. The fact green said Garland is a good player when he’s moving his feet is an insult. That guys brought his game face on nights when the rest of the team hasn’t …. I’m honestly surprised Francesco hasn’t given benning pressure to fire him. It’s getting to the point where it will be too late for his playoff pocket munnies to be saved….. benning hasn’t really done a bad job other than eriksons contract but you can also thank oxygen theif jp Barry for that. Maybe letting markstrom walk, but how do you really expect to resign him to move him when he knew thatcher stole his job in the Vegas series ….. the skybox isn’t where the problem is , it’s the baboon behind the bench. Who would rather insult the trust he gets from his players publicly by throwing them under the bus. INSTEAD of adapting the system to get the most of the personnel at his disposal……. 

big rant sorry building up for weeks

I put far more blame on Benning than Green. I don't like everything about Green but it's hard to win with a bad blueline and stars that aren't producing.

Benning hampered this team with bad contracts, bad trades, top 10 draft mistakes (Virtanen and Juolevi), horrible pro scouting, trading away draft picks and not trading for picks.

• Cheers 2

On 11/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

I hate to say it folks, but enjoy Petey before he leaves at the end of this contract. We are not going to be a good enough team to retain him. He wants to win, he has Kesler’s fire and he deserves to be with a competent franchise.

:bored::frantic::picard:

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So you are blaming Shaw for the team playing like crap? It seems far more likely that Green, who is actually the head coach and is responsible for everything his assistants do, is simply sticking with what he was doing before Shaw even got here and is not listening to his input.

this sort of stuff is absolutely ridiculous. Green said specifically Shaw was brought in to help with new ideas/tweaking things.  like it or not, Shaw probably has a lot to do with the Canucks current systems. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just watched HNIC talking about the Flames, Juice said how a big tough d-men like Gudbranson plays so well for the Flames so I took a look at his stats: in 18 games 4 points and +3. Honestly I am not sure he ever got a plus while playing for the Canucks, but I believed this is another scenario where the Canucks coaching staffs did not understand the strength of a player and force them to play in a style that never suits them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

Don't know where to post this but ill post it here looks like pettey and aqua are meeting probably talking about changes to be had

EP: why haven’t you fired anyone yet?

FA: Listen, I want to see how the fans react in these home games before making any decisions.

EP: I see. Ok then, don’t blame me for my half-ass effort for the money you give me in the next 3 years.

17 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

this sort of stuff is absolutely ridiculous. Green said specifically Shaw was brought in to help with new ideas/tweaking things.  like it or not, Shaw probably has a lot to do with the Canucks current systems. 

The Canucks current systems are pretty much exactly the same systems that were here last year though. You know, before Shaw was hired?

26 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks current systems are pretty much exactly the same systems that were here last year though. You know, before Shaw was hired?

Unless you are privvy to the X & Os I dont think thats something you can say.  And for all you know, Shaw might be in agreement with the general systems used previously   

50 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Unless you are privvy to the X & Os I dont think thats something you can say.  And for all you know, Shaw might be in agreement with the general systems used previously   

It’s not really rocket science. You don’t need to be an nhl coach or in the room to understand the way the coach is coaching the team to play. The fact is the team plays pretty much the exact same way they did last year offensively and defensively. It’s not an x and o’s thing. 

I don’t know why Benning would bring in Shaw to give input and ideas for improving the way the team plays if he was just going to say, “man it’s just perfect the way it is.” Sorry, but it sort of looks pretty clear that Green is simply not willing to implement anything new or different from what he did before.

Green has made very few adjustments and instead is trying to make players fit his system rather than building a system that fits the players he has. That’s the difference between a good coach and a bad one by the way. 

Shaw himself said Green wanted new ideas

Shaw said he is to be an ASSOCIATE coach to run the P.P, PK, 5v5

We have never been worse

Shaws interim spell record of 5-19 from a team that had a winning record before he took over ,should say he is not the guy to take over

He is no guru

I don't want to promote a guy for failure, i sends the wrong message

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Don't know where to post this but ill post it here looks like pettey and aqua are meeting probably talking about changes to be had

Well this isn’t helping the meddling ownership narrative.

What advice would Aquilini possibly have to give Petey? Is he selling him on a great real estate investment?

43 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Shaw himself said Green wanted new ideas

Shaw said he is to be an ASSOCIATE coach to run the P.P, PK, 5v5

We have never been worse

Shaws interim spell record of 5-19 from a team that had a winning record before he took over ,should say he is not the guy to take over

He is no guru

I don't want to promote a guy for failure, i sends the wrong message

Lol he had a record of 18 wins,18 losses, and 4 ties as interim head coach of the Isles.

I will check but pretty sure that’s a better winning percentage that Green has as a head coach.

Green had won nothing at any level of pro coaching and had exactly 0 wins (or even games coached) on an nhl bench in any capacity before being promoted. At least he proves your theory that promoting losers leads to losing.

Shaw as interim coach couldn’t possibly do worse than Green.

3 hours ago, on the cycle said:

I put far more blame on Benning than Green. I don't like everything about Green but it's hard to win with a bad blueline and stars that aren't producing.

Benning hampered this team with bad contracts, bad trades, top 10 draft mistakes (Virtanen and Juolevi), horrible pro scouting, trading away draft picks and not trading for picks.

Virtanen became Shane O’Brien 2.0….. I thought joulevi was a bust till he actually played real games last year …. He was solid…  remember when he flattened Matt tkatchuk trying to go around him? I do …… virtanen had all the tools to be a star but the brain for the game ….. didn’t benning draft  cdcs messiah the petterson??? Hughes??? Bowser?? Don’t see you thanking him for that ???? He also gave us JT Miller who is basically our best player  ….. you wanna talk about bad draft picks ….. Patrick white of the minnisoda gophers….. he was far worse then both those guys 

3 hours ago, ey40 said:

Just watched HNIC talking about the Flames, Juice said how a big tough d-men like Gudbranson plays so well for the Flames so I took a look at his stats: in 18 games 4 points and +3. Honestly I am not sure he ever got a plus while playing for the Canucks, but I believed this is another scenario where the Canucks coaching staffs did not understand the strength of a player and force them to play in a style that never suits them.

That pylon is only looking good because markstrom playing like he did against the blues in the bubble….. that guy has had more clubs that tiger woods in the last few years ….. I’m still mad we traded Jared for that pylon …. Maybe sutter woke him up? Idk but that guy got victimized on the regular on highlights almost nightly after he left … Myers was definitely a upgrade…. I thank benning for him too

and I agree with you about coaching staff not putting a player in a situation to use his strengths….. it’s happening now but in the form of our teams identity 

22 minutes ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

Virtanen became Shane O’Brien 2.0….. I thought joulevi was a bust till he actually played real games last year …. He was solid…  remember when he flattened Matt tkatchuk trying to go around him? I do …… virtanen had all the tools to be a star but the brain for the game ….. didn’t benning draft  cdcs messiah the petterson??? Hughes??? Bowser?? Don’t see you thanking him for that ???? He also gave us JT Miller who is basically our best player  ….. you wanna talk about bad draft picks ….. Patrick white of the minnisoda gophers….. he was far worse then both those guys 

Benning didn't even want to draft Pettersson......it was a Judd Bracket pick. The Miller trade was good but we shouldn't have been targeting him at that point as we weren't ready to contend. Being a good GM means making more good decisions than bad and Benning has made far more bad decisions than good.

4 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Why isn’t Aquilini talking to Jim about changes that need to happen, unless he’s talking about the GM change. 

44 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Benning didn't even want to draft Pettersson......it was a Judd Bracket pick. The Miller trade was good but we shouldn't have been targeting him at that point as we weren't ready to contend. Being a good GM means making more good decisions than bad and Benning has made far more bad decisions than good.

Yeah. Didn’t Benning want Cody Glass? 

Look at how that would’ve turned out….

Another &^@#ing bust. 22 points in his NHL career, while Petey’s got what? 163? 

Would’ve been another Jim Benning special. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4