The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller to the NY Islanders for Noah Dobson.  Or Boeser for Scott Mayfield and Oliver Wahlström.  I'd play Wahlstrom with Petey and Höglander.  I really like Wahlström and Mayfield would be a perfect partner for Hughes.

The Islanders are sucking right now and they freed up a bunch of cap space so they are most likely looking to do a deal for a top 6 player.  Miller has almost as many points as Nelson and Barzal combined, so we'd be selling high.  Miller or Boeser would both fit in with the Islanders.

I like the Miller suggestion, it makes sense for both teams. They could really use a punch in the arm, but it'd take some cap finagling wouldn't it? Might even be able to get more out of the Isles, as they're in their competitive window and could legitimately contend. 

The Boeser option could be interesting too, but I'm more inclined to keep him.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller to the NY Islanders for Noah Dobson.  Or Boeser for Scott Mayfield and Oliver Wahlström.  I'd play Wahlstrom with Petey and Höglander.  I really like Wahlström and Mayfield would be a perfect partner for Hughes.

The Islanders are sucking right now and they freed up a bunch of cap space so they are most likely looking to do a deal for a top 6 player.  Miller has almost as many points as Nelson and Barzal combined, so we'd be selling high.  Miller or Boeser would both fit in with the Islanders.

That's actually not a bad trade for us or for the Islanders. 

I like Wahlstrom as well, and he'd be a good addition to the team - possibly replace Miller eventually. 

I would rather trade Miller, because I think he's got a higher value in terms of getting more in return. But Boeser's QO kind of scares me. Would he be getting more the Pettersson? That's kind of crazy considering he's never broken 60 points in his career. EVER. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, me too. I want to keep Brock. He's still young at 24 yo. He's entering into his prime, and I think he'll get better the next several years still. Thing with Boeser, is that he's never actually stayed healthy enough to ever break the 60 point mark. Is a player like that worth 8M or more? That seems ridiculous to me. 

Petey has never scored more than 70 points, and he's getting 7M+. Boeser never scoring more than 60 points is worth 8M+? Doesn't make sense to me, or is there something I'm missing here? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, me too. I want to keep Brock. He's still young at 24 yo. He's entering into his prime, and I think he'll get better the next several years still. Thing with Boeser, is that he's never actually stayed healthy enough to ever break the 60 point mark. Is a player like that worth 8M or more? That seems ridiculous to me. 

Petey has never scored more than 70 points, and he's getting 7M+. Boeser never scoring more than 60 points is worth 8M+? Doesn't make sense to me, or is there something I'm missing here? 

I think they were expecting more progression from Boeser, and to be fair he was our best forward during a Covid shortened season. Petey was basically PPG last season, but his injury derailed things. Neither of them look great this season, but none of our forwards really do. Even Miller hasn't looked fantastic, despite his production. Team is out of sorts.

Bottom line is we'll have to either move players or pay them though. I think Boeser's better than he's looked, I think Bo and Petey are too. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like the Miller suggestion, it makes sense for both teams. They could really use a punch in the arm, but it'd take some cap finagling wouldn't it? Might even be able to get more out of the Isles, as they're in their competitive window and could legitimately contend. 

We could throw in Chiasson with Miller to make the numbers work...  ^_^

As for Boeser, I'd like to keep him too but we'd be getting a perfect partner for Hughes in Mayfield and Wahlström is a bigger and younger player than Boeser who also plays right wing.  He's Swedish as well so would fit in perfectly with Petey and Höglander.  Boeser is going to want to get paid next summer, so Wahlström will also be cost controlled for awhile which means we can spend more money on a right hand centre and a left hand Dman.

The Islanders are a perfect trade partner right now as they are in their Cup window, they currently suck and they need help up front with scoring, so we would be able to help them with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We could throw in Chiasson with Miller to make the numbers work...  ^_^

As for Boeser, I'd like to keep him too but we'd be getting a perfect partner for Hughes in Mayfield and Wahlström is a bigger and younger player than Boeser who also plays right wing.  He's Swedish as well so would fit in perfectly with Petey and Höglander.  Boeser is going to want to get paid next summer, so Wahlström will also be cost controlled for awhile which means we can spend more money on a right hand centre and a left hand Dman.

The Islanders are a perfect trade partner right now as they are in their Cup window, they currently suck and they need help up front with scoring, so we would be able to help them with that.

The thing about your Boeser deal that probably sinks it is how many pricy forwards the Isles already have. Boeser will need to be re-signed, where are they getting that cap? Only significant piece of cap being freed up soon is Clutterbuck's 3.5M. 

And a team trying to compete, moving out two cost controlled contracts in Mayfield and Wahlstrom seems counterintuitive. Particularly for a team that's closer to the cap nowadays.

I like your Miller deal better, because at almost 5.3M he's easier for a contender to fit in than what Boeser will probably get. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They've been on the road since the start of the season.  Their home opener is this weekend.

Per Staples they are missing Leddy and his puck moving ability.  They can't skate well enough out of their zone.  Dobson is their future and Mayfield is reliable.  Chara and Greene are struggling.  Those trades wouldn't address that issue.  It also wouldn't help their cap situation.

Boeser is struggling and could do like Laine last season and sign his qualifying offer and bet on himself to rebound rather than negotiate a contract.  Would make him UFA at the end of it.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

After all the harsh words and talk (and rightfully so) Im not tuning out like I thought I would/had been.  genuinely curious how the team does on Weds.  

Same here Goose...

Like everyone else I'm emotional about the team, but I'll still follow the boys on the Ice,
and cheer for them if they play well and be disappointed if they don't. 
Life of a fan....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isles about to drop to 5-6-2 after many picked them to be a cup favourite.

Theres some weird storylines going on this season. Teams that were supposed to be bad are good (Kings, Preds, Ducks, Sharks), and teams that were supposed to be good have been bad (Isles, Avs, Knights).

Would that be the Avs and Knights that just put 7 past us... if they are bad, so help us all, cause we're doomed ::D

PS. No you are spot on... very surprising start to the season in many ways. 

4 hours ago, EmilyM said:

I never understood why people tune out when the team is losing. That’s when things get interesting. If it’s another blow out, that’s interesting. If the Canucks overcome the adversity and pull out a win, that’s interesting. No matter what happens, another page of the story turns.

Probably, not the same but the off ice drama seems to be more interesting than the on ice product.

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As other posters mentioned, maybe Miller would be the better trade bait.

Miller for Mayfield + Wahlstrom + pick?

Then maybe a top 6 line up like...

EP Bo Boeser 

Podz Wahlstrom Garland

EP played wing in Sweden and his faceoff % this year is really bad.  So maybe a move to the wing will help him regain his scoring touch. 

Wahlstrom is right handed and had a faceoff % of 41% last year.  He's played center for most of his life and only recently been converted as a winger the past couple of years.  So maybe he can be the future RH centre with hopefully high face off %.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

EP Bo Boeser 

Podz Wahlstrom Garland

EP played wing in Sweden and his faceoff % this year is really bad.  So maybe a move to the wing will help him regain his scoring touch. 

Wahlstrom is right handed and had a faceoff % of 41% last year.  He's played center for most of his life and only recently been converted as a winger the past couple of years.  So maybe he can be the future RH centre with hopefully high face off %.

How does that help NYI?   It creates a hole on their blue line.  Mayfield is also on their top PK unit.  

Doubt NYI would make those deals.  Could see Lamoriello offer to swap with another veteran F but who would even interest Vancouver and fit their cap.

Edited by mll

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

EP Bo Boeser 

Podz Wahlstrom Garland

I'd do that deal for Miller in a heartbeat.  I'd play Wahlström on right wing with Petey and Höglander.  Wahlström has only taken 13 faceoffs in his entire NHL career so far so I think he will be a winger in this league. However, playing with Petey and as a right hand shot he could definitely take the defensive zone faceoffs on that line.  Boeser is gonna want to get paid next summer so he could be used to acquire other pieces.

At the end of the day I don't see how this core can stay together.  One or more pieces will have to be moved in order to fill other positions.  Miller won't want to stick around in 2 years when he hits free agency so better to move him now while his stock is high.  His maximum trade value is right now.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

How does that help NYI?   It creates a hole on their blue line.  Mayfield is also on their top PK unit.  

Doubt NYI would make those deals.  Could see Lamoriello offer to swap with another veteran F but who would even interest Vancouver and fit their cap.

I do not really follow other teams as I do not have the time. Could a Miller and Rathbone combo help things?

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

EP Bo Boeser 

Podz Wahlstrom Garland

Maybe Miller for Barzal straight up? Barzal could be just what this team needs. A playmaking right handed centre. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not normally a fan of Buttons 

But some good points

Button "you've got to find solutions" (for the special teams). We're 16 games into the season and the fanbase is still waiting to see solutions. Since the first game of the season Canucks struggle with their special teams. It's very concerning that coaching staff haven't been able to find solutions. Having not found solutions over several weeks for special teams clearly indicates that they won't find solutions in the future. Interesting that Button used the word "creativity" in connection to the forwards group. Haven't seen this creativity this season from the forwards group. Maybe I should watch the games again and pay more attention to this aspect.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I do not really follow other teams as I do not have the time. Could a Miller and Rathbone combo help things?

Rathbone is not NHL ready so probably wouldn't move the needle for NYI.  

I also don't think Miller is the one they would look to trade to shake things up.  He has been their best point producer and they are still trying to turn things around to make the playoffs.  Message from the meetings has been they want to be patient.  

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Maybe Miller for Barzal straight up? Barzal could be just what this team needs. A playmaking right handed centre. 

why should Lou trade Barzal, their best center ? Makes zero sense for the Isles. Lou is experienced enough not to make any panic moves. Again: only one trade doesn't fix the problem in VAN. Do you really think once Miller is gone the special teams are going to take off? No way. Miller is the one who wins at least the Faceoffs (10 from 10 in Vegas- that's quite a thing).

• Cheers 1