The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

22 and 25 year old players who are constantly improving with big contracts is a lot different than 31 year old players who are on the downswing on big contracts. If you can't tell the difference I don't know what else to tell you.

They had a very good team that still had several years left in them.  They literally tore it apart prematurely to bank on their young guys doing the same several years down the road.  Like I said, if the Sens turn into a powerhouse in the next few years, then you got yourself a strong argument... but right now, I dunno about you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Just now, HKSR said:

They had a very good team that still had several years left in them.  They literally tore it apart prematurely to bank on their young guys doing the same several years down the road.  Like I said, if the Sens turn into a powerhouse in the next few years, then you got yourself a strong argument... but right now, I dunno about you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

They had a horrible team that couldn't crack the 70 point mark. Give your head a shake!

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Unless the offer significantly alters the course of the franchise you keep Miller. 

Losing this asset (Miller) for nothing after he walks to UFA would be altering the course of this franchise, but in a negative way - people seem to overlook this very real possibility.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

rathbone+Mcdonut+dipietro+ 2022 1st + Pearson for Chychrun + Crouse

Yup, sign me up. Big fan of Rathbone, but we have one already. Chychrun was my guy that draft year and I'm still shocked he slid to mid round. I can't believe the yotes are considering trading him

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Losing this asset (Miller) for nothing after he walks to UFA would be altering the course of this franchise, but in a negative way - people seem to overlook this very real possibility.

I don’t think anyone on here is suggesting letting him walk as a UFA is a reasonable course of action.   

11 minutes ago, Screw said:

I don’t think anyone on here is suggesting letting him walk as a UFA is a reasonable course of action.   

What if we are a 50/50 at playoffs next year come the deadline with no indication of we can resign him. Do we trade him then? That would be a much harder pill to swallow then the 10% chance we lose right now.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

No, but several people here are saying 'don't trade him, attempt to re-sign him instead', which is a huge risk. If he gets to UFA you've lost any and all leverage you had with that player.  If you trade the asset at this point, the club controls the process, not the player. 

I don't personally believe Miller would be inclined to re-sign here.  As a result, I'm in the 'sell high' camp and he'll never have higher value than he does at this TDL. 

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

What if we are a 50/50 at playoffs next year come the deadline with no indication of we can resign him. Do we trade him then? That would be a much harder pill to swallow then the 10% chance we lose right now.

I would hope management would have a solid read on the player and his contract demands.   My position is either sell high or resign the player.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

No, but several people here are saying 'don't trade him, attempt to re-sign him instead', which is a huge risk. If he gets to UFA you've lost any and all leverage you had with that player.  If you trade the asset at this point, the club controls the process, not the player. 

I don't personally believe Miller would be inclined to re-sign here.  As a result, I'm in the 'sell high' camp and he'll never have higher value than he does at this TDL. 

At the same time I also don’t have any reason to believe Miller would not sign a market valued contract extension in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2022 at 6:58 AM, stawns said:

Zero chance you're getting Schneider for Boeser.

Schneider is absolutely the ''profile'' of a D we want. Big RHD who can shoot, clear a crease. That said, he might not even be NYR's best RHD prospect...

https://dobberprospects.com/player/braden-schneider/

https://dobberprospects.com/player/nils-lundkvist/

Lundkvist may also fit There it is Bruce's style?

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Schneider is absolutely the ''profile'' of a D we want. Big RHD who can shoot, clear a crease. That said, he might not even be NYR's best RHD prospect...

https://dobberprospects.com/player/braden-schneider/

https://dobberprospects.com/player/nils-lundkvist/

Lundkvist may also fit There it is Bruce's style?

I’d be fine with Garland going for Schneider instead.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Highly doubt that happens.

The Canucks have been “ham-stringed” by MNC’s and NTC’s in the past with other players that have limited the Teams options.

Millers NTC was not honoured by the Canucks when they received him before his NTC came into place with his present contract.  

per CapF:

CLAUSE DETAILS: Miller was traded on June 22, 2019, prior to his Modified NTC coming into effect, giving Vancouver the option of voiding clause. CapFriendly has confirmed that Vancouver did not honor his trade clause.  

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Yup, sign me up. Big fan of Rathbone, but we have one already. Chychrun was my guy that draft year and I'm still shocked he slid to mid round. I can't believe the yotes are considering trading him

Rather have Crouse. He’s got bite.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I can only imagine in what state the possibility of a cataclysmic meteorite hitting the Earth gets you in.

Edited by Me_

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I'm talking about the team that had 67 points in 82 games. I think you need to do some research.

Oh you must be referring to the season where Stone, Brassard and Chabot were all injured for over 20 games each.  Gotcha... injuries mean a team sucks.  Kinda like how Petey was injured most of last season...

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh you must be referring to the season where Stone, Brassard and Chabot were all injured for over 20 games each.  Gotcha... injuries mean a team sucks.  Kinda like how Petey was injured most of last season...

They had a cinderella run and flopped on their face. The fact that after trading away their older talent they only went down 3 points in the standings the next season (and 5 the season after) should tell you as much. 

1 minute ago, Boho53 said:

They had a cinderella run and flopped on their face. The fact that after trading away their older talent they only went down 3 points in the standings the next season (and 5 the season after) should tell you as much. 

Doesn't tell me anything because they traded away top tier talent including one of the world's best hockey players at that time (Karlsson) before allowing them to see what they could do together. 

The fact they only dropped a few points without the top tier talent says way more that they may very well have missed an opportunity to build something great.