The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, there it is from his agent's mouth:  he'd like to re-sign in Vancouver but at the right price.  So is that enough for all the mind-readers who were so sure he wanted to go back to the US?  Of course that could still happen, but if so it will be about the money, not because he didn't want to stay here.  Heads are going to explode if (and I think when) he re-signs here.

Would be interesting to know what the offer from Vancouver is.

And, how much we're offering to Horvat. I'm thinking if we can nail Horvat down for 8 years at 7 per, 49 million total.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Imagine having a career that revolves around hockey, Yet unwilling to see all the money that falls off the books for free as those deals are needed 

And to list currently unimportant pieces in Hogs and Dermott....ridiculous.  In end, it is as follows on Offense:

- Figure out Miller...hopefully retain

- Resign Bo at a responsible longterm contract. If Miller at 7mover 8 is okay....lets give Bo 6 over 8

- Kuzmenko: He's an unknown and redundant. Love the signing, but lets not pretend he is gonna demand 7m after a single year in the league

- make sure we save some $$ for Petterson

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would be interesting to know what the offer from Vancouver is.

And, how much we're offering to Horvat. I'm thinking if we can nail Horvat down for 8 years at 7 per, 49 million total.

We'd all like to know.  Horvat at 8 x 7 mill would be fair to both sides.  With Miller it's not so simple. 

• Cheers 1

Does it make sense if Miller signs a five year contract a $9M? Including his current year, it would be equivalent to signing a six year contract at $8.375M per (in total dollars, not cap hit). It would be a compromise by both parties. Give him the option to choose 10 teams he can be traded to (or whatever the rules are) and Canucks could retain some flexibility. There would be collateral damage i.e. assume Bo would have to be moved for younger pieces (unless Bo is willing to sign a $5.75M for 8 years type deal).

After that, it is all about fixing the defense....I think two solid additions to the back end and a strong 3C would make things interesting.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think he was the best player for about a month and a half and, to be fair, he might have been the best player in the league during that time.  From mid-Jan to the end of the season I think Petey and Bo were the two best players on the team.......not named Demko

Yet his Points per game marched on. We just noticed Petterson again because he went from liability to his old self. Bo; with Petey being back, his matchups became more favorable which help his numbers.

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Does it make sense if Miller signs a five year contract a $9M? Including his current year, it would be equivalent to signing a six year contract at $8.375M per (in total dollars, not cap hit). It would be a compromise by both parties. Give him the option to choose 10 teams he can be traded to (or whatever the rules are) and Canucks could retain some flexibility. There would be collateral damage i.e. assume Bo would have to be moved for younger pieces (unless Bo is willing to sign a $5.75M for 8 years type deal).

After that, it is all about fixing the defense....I think two solid additions to the back end and a strong 3C would make things interesting.

No Bo will be signed for 7 x 8. Miller and Bo will both be here long term. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Here’s how I see this playing out.

Miller isn’t traded and comes into camp. The team is fighting for the last two wildcard spot at the TDL. Management decides to keep him. We make the playoffs and win a round. Management is now force to re-sign Miller to a lucrative 6yrs, 51m deal (8.5m hit) in the off-season. Miller plays out his career in a Vancouver uniform, but starts to decline into a 40 points player by the third year of his contract. While the team is stuck at a perpetual state of a bubble playoff team throughout his contract. CDC whinges at management that Miller’s contract is untradeable and we lose a key core player along the way (one of Demko, Hughes, Horvat, Pettersson) via UFA.

Maybe time to get outside, have a nice walk and drink some lemonade :). But I guess you could have said that we sign an 8-year extension and he then gets injured and we have a Ferland situation for 8 years.

My take - I think Alvin will stick to his guns with a 5-6 year contract.  If Miller doesn't sign, then Alvin trades him to the highest bidder at the end of the season.....and we will question the return to be sure.

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Push the cap hit out, but have the $$ upfront. there will always be a pheonix to ship him too. We need the $$ to resign Petterson.

I don't know why people are still fixated on 3C; if Miller is not moved, we have one of the deepest C groups in teh league with Petterson, Bo, Miller, and Lazar. I'd be more tempted to resign Richardson to a vet minimum contract to bolster 4line/depth.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Push the cap hit out, but have the $$ upfront. there will always be a pheonix to ship him too. We need the $$ to resign Petterson.

I don't know why people are still fixated on 3C; if Miller is not moved, we have one of the deepest C groups in teh league with Petterson, Bo, Miller, and Lazar. I'd be more tempted to resign Richardson to a vet minimum contract to bolster 4line/depth.

3 of the best centres in the league. All of which can play every situation. Strength up the middle, goaltending and defence wins cups. All that’s left is fixing the defence which can be done by moving wingers 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

3 of the best centres in the league. All of which can play every situation. Strength up the middle, goaltending and defence wins cups. All that’s left is fixing the defence which can be done by moving wingers 

Yep, or moving Myers plus sweeteners; we only really need one defensive RHD for 2022/23. That Schenn signing will go down as one of the best bridge contracts the team has ever signed. Guy has played at a 3.5-4m value at <1m!

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

If Miller is signing a $9M/yr contract, who cares if there are trade restrictions in place......we won't want to trade him in the next 2-3 years and nobody will want that contract in the last year or two, regardless if Miller can keep it up.  

As difficult as it is, I don't think you can build a winning team without underpaying people and having players who will be willing to leave money on the table just to be a Canuck.  You also need the young ELC players to outplay their expectations.  Previous years, the Sedins, Burrows and to some extent Kesler all left a bit of money on the table and that gave management the means to pick up some key pieces.  Perhaps Alvin can find a way to trim the fat if you will, but at the end of the day, it takes team sacrifice to win and that's not just on the ice.  You give Miller $9, what do the other players get?  It just snowballs into another decade of waiting for bad contracts to expire.

So if Alvin is a believer of what I just wrote, I don't see him paying out 7-8 year contracts at $7.5-9M/yr.  Right or wrong, Miller deserving or not, I just don't see him doing that if he wants to build a winner.......and I'm a big fan of having Miller stay on this team.

I would be happy if PA just gave JT Miller a $50 million check and told him to work it out how he wants.  He can sign for 10x5, 8.3 x 6, 7x7.15, 8 x 6.25.  Miller gets paid, we keep our best player on a solid deal.  

Edited by BCNate
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

And really its one right side defensive d man who is needed with current positive assets in Garland, Hoglander, Rathbone and draft picks to get that done

Then there is unloading cap in pearson and dickenson to potentially sign a UFA next year

or the off chance that Poolman isnt the whipping boy ges been made out to be because his contract is 1 mil to high

• Cheers 1

lol JT's agent puts out some info that may or may not be a negotiation tactic and suddenly we're going all in this year.  Literally last week JR said that we're still 2-3 years from being a contender.  It appears that any moves we make (including whatever we do with Miller) will be for the 2024 season and beyond.  

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I would be happy if PA just gave JT Miller a $50 million check and told him to work it out how he wants.  He can sign for 10x5, 8.3 x 6, 7x7.15, 8 x 6.25.  Miller gets paid, we keep our best player on a solid deal.  

A 10x5 would cripple us, and allow him to eek out more $$ after 5 years. Keep the term long, money low, and pay him more upfront. IF 7m is still high for a 2/3line player in 6 years, move him with a sweetner IF you need the cap. if you give him 10/5yrs, he is untradeable, and we can kiss Petey goodbye. 

13 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

3C not required if Bo and Miller are retained

8 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

lol JT's agent puts out some info that may or may not be a negotiation tactic and suddenly we're going all in this year.  Literally last week JR said that we're still 2-3 years from being a contender.  It appears that any moves we make (including whatever we do with Miller) will be for the 2024 season and beyond.  

What JR said may or may not happen as well. This is no different than making trade proposals with JT Miller. The facts are it could go either way 

• Cheers 2