The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Hischier is producing at just below a 0.9 ppg pace while taking on the toughest matchups and playing a responsible 200ft game.  Creates a significant void in their lineup which would overshadow the benefit of adding Hughes.  They also already have Hamilton at 9M.  Don't see how a trade can work between both teams + Vancouver will want NJD to gut their lineup/prospect pool ensuring that they will just spin their wheels.  

I didn't include Hischier tho. 

Edited by JM_

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The more the return the better.  And Jersey would pay through the roof to get all three brothers together.  

Trading Quinn might be the only move we need to make if the return is what you suggest?

It checks all the boxes.

hell of a risky/ballsy move tho. 

I just can't see JR making such a massive deal but then again, he's here to do something. 

Just now, JM_ said:

hell of a risky/ballsy move tho. 

I just can't see JR making such a massive deal but then again, he's here to do something. 

he is, for sure.  I like QH, but man is it tempting to think about and OEL showed that he's ore than capable of upping his offensive game when given the chance.  I think it would come down to whether they truly believe that Rathbone will be an impact NHL dman.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hard no on any kind of buyouts.  Adding long term dead cap is simply not acceptable.

They are not looking to contend next couple of seasons though.  Part of building a contender is also development, building chemistry, having a roster/style of play they believe will lead to a Cup.  It might be better to move on earlier so they can give that role to players who could be part of that contending team.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think a Dickinson buyout isn't too painful. Perhaps Poolman as well, if we can't find takers like Ottawa with Hamonic that is. So there's a couple potentials. Otherwise, just because Demko is the only "safe" one, doesn't mean it's likely we'll be moving guys like Petey, Hughes or Horvat. Sure, if someone wants to overpay, we'll look at it but I'd imagine the guys we'd all consider to be good "building blocks", would be hard pressed to be moved.

I looked at Poolmans buyout, it doesn't really save much over just putting him in Abby, and it extends the dead cap too long. Just waive him and hope AZ likes free things.

Dickies might be worth it, but I'd prefer to just retain 500k on him and see if that gets us an asset back at least. Or waive him too and see what shakes.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

he is, for sure.  I like QH, but man is it tempting to think about and OEL showed that he's ore than capable of upping his offensive game when given the chance.  I think it would come down to whether they truly believe that Rathbone will be an impact NHL dman.

I like OEL personally, he won't produce as many assists as QH but he should be good for 40 pts and play all situations. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I looked at Poolmans buyout, it doesn't really save much over just putting him in Abby, and it extends the dead cap too long. Just waive him and hope AZ likes free things.

Dickies might be worth it, but I'd prefer to just retain 500k on him and see if that gets us an asset back at least. Or waive him too and see what shakes.

JDay still serve to be a useful bottom 6 player as well.  If someone wants him as part of a bigger deal, great.  If not, I'm ok with seeing what he can do.

I think someone might take poolman as part of a bigger deal, rhd are coveted.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I like OEL personally, he won't produce as many assists as QH but he should be good for 40 pts and play all situations. 

He wouldn't replace all of Highest offense, no question, but he would certainly improve his own numbers significantly.  Even with Hughes here, I think OEL is a better PPQB and I'd love to see them try QH as a rover of sorts.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

They are not looking to contend next couple of seasons though.  Part of building a contender is also development, building chemistry, having a roster/style of play they believe will lead to a Cup.  It might be better to move on earlier so they can give that role to players who could be part of that contending team.

So you live with the contract rather than prolonging it and wasting cap once they are ready to contend.  I'm all for getting rid of them via trade without retention, but the biggest problem over Benning's tenure was his tendancy to prolong the agony with the buyouts.  We only have one more year with dead cap and should not be considering adding more.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So you live with the contract rather than prolonging it and wasting cap once they are ready to contend.  I'm all for getting rid of them via trade without retention, but the biggest problem over Benning's tenure was his tendancy to prolong the agony with the buyouts.  We only have one more year with dead cap and should not be considering adding more.

The players/the team also have to be ready to go once their window opens up.  Having a roster spot taken up by someone who doesn't fit how they want to play or is too old to be part of their contending window is going to slow their progress towards building that contending team too.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

The players/the team also have to be ready to go once their window opens up.  Having a roster spot taken up by someone who doesn't fit how they want to play or is too old to be part of their contending window is going to slow their progress towards building that contending team too.  

The AHL is also an option, and a superior one to a buyout.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Hischier is producing at just below a 0.9 ppg pace while taking on the toughest matchups and playing a responsible 200ft game.  Creates a significant void in their lineup which would overshadow the benefit of adding Hughes.  They also already have Hamilton at 9M.  Don't see how a trade can work between both teams + Vancouver will want NJD to gut their lineup/prospect pool ensuring that they will just spin their wheels.  

Jersey needs to compete for attention in that market.  They would pay through the nose to get Quinn.  The marketing would be huge for them.  Don’t need to get back Heischer.  (I just think he’s their best player) @JM_ had a good proposal.  We make that one deal, and we are set up good.  

• Vintage 1

What about Miller PHI?

I would prefer to keep him and move one or both of Boeser and Garney 

PHI ownership has just said playoffs or bust 

do they have a good RHD?

not risto

sanheim doesn’t do it for me 

what about:

To PHI

Miller 

2022nd 1st (15th)

To VAN 

konecny

2022nd 1st (4th)

konecny is Bo’s cousin 

Bo resigns to discount now but he is happy 

Konecny is a youngish C who is tough to play against 

with that 4 OA pick we prob get one of the top RHD D

thoughts ?

Edited by Canucks Curse

21 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

What about Miller PHI?

I would prefer to keep him and move one or both of Boeser and Garney 

PHI ownership has just said playoffs or bust 

do they have a good RHD?

not risto

sanheim doesn’t do it for me 

what about:

To PHI

Miller 

To VAN 

konecny

2022nd 1st 

konecny is Bo’s cousin 

Bo resigns to discount now but he is happy 

Konecny is a youngish C who is tough to play against 

thoughts ?

If they really want the 3rd Hughes they can pay dearly

To NJ

Quinn Hughes 

Brock Boeser 

Dipietro

2022 1st 

To VAN

Dawson Mercer 

Ryan Graves 

Shakir 

2022 1st (it’s top 3 likely) so we can pick a top RHD if we like

Hirschier 

that gives NJ

the 3 Hughes Bros 

our 1st 

BB

holtZ

yegor 

Hamilton 

smith 

VAN

Podz Petey Miller 

Pearson Bo Garland 

Mercer Hirschier Hogz

highmore Lammi Lockwood 

OEL Myers 

Graves RHD ? nimek?

Rathbone Schenn 

Edited by Canucks Curse

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I agree.  We should run with zero dead cap for at least a couple of years and see what happens.  I'd rather send Dickinson and Poolman to Abby then buy them out.

Poolman is a RHD.  There shouldn't be an issue with trading him in a bigger deal with Boeser.  Dickinson we could retain some money to make it work.  We'd have minimal dead cap and it would only be for an extra year after next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  We should run with zero dead cap for at least a couple of years and see what happens.  I'd rather send Dickinson and Poolman to Abby then buy them out.

Poolman is a RHD.  There shouldn't be an issue with trading him in a bigger deal with Boeser.  Dickinson we could retain some money to make it work.  We'd have minimal dead cap and it would only be for an extra year after next year.

the concern is his ongoing migraine issues. I can't understand why Benning would have signed him for 4 years knowing that was a possible issue, did we have any medical consultants on staff?

I don't know that we can do much with Poolman, other than send him to Abby and bring him up as needed if he's healthy. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the concern is his ongoing migraine issues. I can't understand why Benning would have signed him for 4 years knowing that was a possible issue, did we have any medical consultants on staff?

I don't know that we can do much with Poolman, other than send him to Abby and bring him up as needed if he's healthy. 

Benning signed Ferland to a long term deal even though his concussion issues were so concerning no insurer would cover the contract.  Benning had laser focus.  But not in a good way.  

• Vintage 1