The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

44 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

JH is an impact player too, just a different skill set.(He's only 3 ponts back of McDavid for the Art Ross)! Also, his defensive game has improved greatly this season. I for one am very intersted to see how he performs in the playoffs this year as this has been a knock against him thus far into his career. Although he has 19 points in 30 games for his playoff career. Not too shabby.

PHI also would only need to make cap room for JH's next contract whereas acquiring Miller would be more costly in terms of giving up assests, then only to have to sign him to a lucrative deal as well. 

I don't think it's a question of how he performs in the regular season... but as a 'go to' guy for the team, 19pts in 30gms doesn't cut it in the playoffs.  I just don't think he has the size to compete.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think it's a question of how he performs in the regular season... but as a 'go to' guy for the team, 19pts in 30gms doesn't cut it in the playoffs.  I just don't think he has the size to compete.

Unpopular opinion.

Jonny Hockey is looking more and more like a young Martin St Louis almost every game out there.  The bulk of St Louis' playoff scoring came from 3 years.  JH is a stud player and Calgary found gold in that 4th round.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not this draft, we wouldn't be getting someone that can step into the lineup for a couple of years most likely. 

True, it would still be a few years before that player was ready, the other stars heading into their prime. In the meantime they would still need a veteran to lead the young guys. Keeping Miller makes some sense, if he's willing to accept a reasonable salary/term.

Horvat scored 31 goals in a shortened season. He's very good at faceoffs, defensive game is good, team captain entering his prime.  What is that worth?  A Top 4RD?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unpopular opinion.

Jonny Hockey is looking more and more like a young Martin St Louis almost every game out there.  The bulk of St Louis' playoff scoring came from 3 years.  JH is a stud player and Calgary found gold in that 4th round.

Oh for sure he could prove everybody wrong, but until he does, it'll always be that his size interferes with his ability to be an impact player in the playoffs. 

The thing with St Louis is that he was built a lot more stocky.  His legs were very strong, so he wasn't easy to knock off the puck.  I can't say the same about Johnny.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, it would still be a few years before that player was ready, the other stars heading into their prime. In the meantime they would still need a veteran to lead the young guys. Keeping Miller makes some sense, if he's willing to accept a reasonable salary/term.

Horvat scored 31 goals in a shortened season. He's very good at faceoffs, defensive game is good, team captain entering his prime.  What is that worth?  A Top 4RD?

Bo's worth a heck of a lot more than just a roster swap. Imagine him on the Leafs roster right now instead of Kerfoot. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Oh for sure he could prove everybody wrong, but until he does, it'll always be that his size interferes with his ability to be an impact player in the playoffs. 

The thing with St Louis is that he was built a lot more stocky.  His legs were very strong, so he wasn't easy to knock off the puck.  I can't say the same about Johnny.

JH is almost the same age St Louis was when he broke out like a mad man and stormed the league.  People forget that much of St Louis' success was as a 30+ aged player.  He didn't break out until he was like 29.

Both play(ed) a very similar game in their own rights and ways.  This year Calgary has the benefit of having that stud team built around him.  He's only missing a Lecavelier at centre and if Monahan actually ever figures his mess out I actually fear a Sutter lead Flames team in the playoffs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

JH is almost the same age St Louis was when he broke out like a mad man and stormed the league.  People forget that much of St Louis' success was as a 30+ aged player.  He didn't break out until he was like 29.

Both play(ed) a very similar game in their own rights and ways.  This year Calgary has the benefit of having that stud team built around him.  He's only missing a Lecavelier at centre and if Monahan actually ever figures his mess out I actually fear a Sutter lead Flames team in the playoffs

shhh, players over 30 no bueno around here. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

Don't forget Brad Richards!  That guy was THE beast in the playoffs.  No Cup without him, that's for sure. 

St Louis was pretty incredible when you think about it.  Broke out in his late 20s, and continued to be a force well into his 30s, all being somewhere between 5'6" and 5'8" lol

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

shhh, players over 30 no bueno around here. 

Miller is as different to St Louis as Bertuzzi is to Jonny Hockey.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Don't forget Brad Richards!  That guy was THE beast in the playoffs.  No Cup without him, that's for sure. 

St Louis was pretty incredible when you think about it.  Broke out in his late 20s, and continued to be a force well into his 30s, all being somewhere between 5'6" and 5'8" lol

That's right.  Whenever people malign Gaudreau I question whether or not they really watch him.  He can't be hit, he is built like St Louis was.  Look at his legs they look like Bures did back in the 90s.  He is not the largest above the waist but the guy is as solid as they come 

I expect to see him break out especially with Tkachuk taking the heat and Tofolli taking what's left.

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Miller is as different to St Louis as Bertuzzi is to Jonny Hockey.  

That's right.  Whenever people malign Gaudreau I question whether or not they really watch him.  He can't be hit, he is built like St Louis was.  Look at his legs they look like Bures did back in the 90s.  He is not the largest above the waist but the guy is as solid as they come 

I expect to see him break out especially with Tkachuk taking the heat and Tofolli taking what's left.

I'd take prime Bert over prime Jonny every time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Philly has just as much good young talent as we do. Maybe more actually. They've clearly got some sort of chemistry or other issue and have massively underperformed the last couple years but if their management could push the right buttons this offseason, there's no reason they couldn't be back in the playoffs next year. 

Maybe they sell Miller on being part of that turnaround with a bigger pay cheque than we're offering? Who knows? We're all just spit balling here, it's not like we've got access to Philly management or Miller's thoughts bro... 

Wait, wouldn't Philly be giving up a bevy of that young talent to get Miller? Unless Miller actually 'wants' to go play in Philly for personal reasons I don't see why he'd agree to this spitballing notion. It makes no sense at all from the players perspective. Particularly if he really wants to pursue the cup in his final contract. I don't think young players that haven't lived up to their draft hype is much of a lure when he's already on a team, that's on the upswing, with young players who have lived up to their draft hype. It's a step backwards and crossing your fingers they might actually turn their game around.

I get that you are starry eyed over the potential Miller return. But Miller does have control over his future and you do have to consider that. I don't see why he'd agree to a long term deal with a bad team at this point in his career without a strong personal reason to be there. That doesn't mean he can't be traded to Philly. I just don't see the reason he'd agree to a long term deal with Philly with his options wide open next year. Meaning it doesn't make sense for Philly either with Miller on an expiring contract. I'm just viewing it from a logical perspective.

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are looking fantastic right now, but 1 more loss and they probably won't make the playoffs. If they win their last 6 games,  that would be incredible and we would be in for a treat.

But if they don't make it in, AND win a lottery spot - Do they trade Miller?  Or do they build around the new star at the 2022 Draft, Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hughes, etc.?

Basically, would winning a lottery spot completely change the direction of the team? Re-signing a 30-year old to a big, long term contract might not be the best thing they could do if this happens.

The Canucks? Win a lottery?

50 Cent GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a big IF.  I think they might have better odds of winning the Cup this year. 

Probably, it's like this team is cursed when it comes to draft positions more often than not. A good year is a year where we don't move at all.