The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

They would have likely beat Nashville promptly even if the Preds were healthy. Not healthy.... Yikes.

For the Avs sake, I hope they don't fall in to a complacency trap, especially with all the extra time off they're about to have.

Ah, but that’s the whole fun of the postseason. Sometimes a “break” isn’t useful especially when you were on a roll like the Avs were in their sweep. 

Just now, aGENT said:

Potentially? Depends on how desperate they are ::D

Dude. If we can pry him and their 5th pick away for Miller, I would do that deal. Thoughts? 

Prov is a really good defenseman, though he’s not a RHD. 

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Dude. If we can pry him and their 5th pick away for Miller, I would do that deal. Thoughts? 

Prov is a really good defenseman, though he’s not a RHD. 

The likelihood of them moving him is probably low. Probably similar to Farabee. They likely just won't have the appetite. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't ask and see how desperate they are and see if a bidding war causes someone to go all in... 

But realistically you're probably looking more like Konecny or Sanheim and the 5th. Maybe your can squeeze a 3rd piece for taking the lesser player but that's more realistic.

Still, Konecny, Jiricek and perhaps a small third piece would be a very decent return.

If we did manage Provorov, I'd guess we'd have to shift Hughes to the right.

Edited by aGENT

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we did manage Provorov, I'd guess we'd have to shift Hughes to the right.

If anyone can manage that it's Hughes. He can retrieve pucks on either hand twice as good as most defenders and more than Myers by a factor of his neck size on any given day.

• Haha 1

@aGENT @Gawdzukes @N4ZZY

I'd be surprised if any of their D are moved. There were reports stating that they're pretty satisfied with their D going into next year barring Ellis but they're optimistic he'll be back healthy. Worst case they have to add a RD if anything.

This is one of the things Fletcher had to say at his end of the year presser. 

It is being aggressive in all phases. Certainly, part of it is we need to get younger; we have to get more talented. We have to get faster. We have to aggressively look at trades, free agency and can we add a couple players to supplement what we have here and make this team better. Another element will obviously be the return to health of certain players.... This is slightly different circumstances, but this offseason could be a lot like the offseason in 2019. If you look at that year, we traded back in the first round, got an extra pick, traded picks for players, and acquired picks at the deadlines. You are constantly doing what you can to improve your team. That is what I guess I call a retool," Fletcher said.

He talked a lot about younger guys stepping into bigger roles next year being vital too

I could see them trading down their 5th overall if it lands them a quality player and a later 1st. I don't know if I see them open to trading many of their younger guys but maybe Konency if anybody.

Dumping JVR is probably priority one though. That'll help open up the door for more moves. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

@aGENT @Gawdzukes @N4ZZY

I'd be surprised if any of their D are moved. There were reports stating that they're pretty satisfied with their D going into next year barring Ellis but they're optimistic he'll be back healthy. Worst case they have to add a RD if anything.

This is one of the things Fletcher had to say at his end of the year presser. 

He talked a lot about younger guys stepping into bigger roles next year being vital too

I could see them trading down their 5th overall if it lands them a quality player and a later 1st. I don't know if I see them open to trading many of their younger guys but maybe Konency if anybody.

Dumping JVR is probably priority one though. That'll help open up the door for more moves. 

Yeah Konecny is the most likely. Still, Konecny plus Jiricek... I'm good with that.

Hypothetical Miller plus scenario:

Trade JT to a team with a top-10 pick where we get back fair value and avoid the expected extension.

Do not qualify BB6 and let him walk or trade his rights (if possible). Love BB6, but not at 7.5mil.

Sign Rust to a 4-5 yr/6mil deal on the wing with Bo. Simliar to BB6, but plays heavier and in all three phases. 

Sign Forsberg to 5-6 yr/8-8.5mil deal on the wing with Petey. (FF is 27 so deal ends when he is around 32-33 before average decline).

That gives us a similar amount of skill while also filling needs on the PP and PK with Rusty. I think FF would make Petey even better and give our PP1 a deadly look when you consider BB6 spent a lot of time on PP2 where Rusty would fit. Allvin knows Rusty too so that could come in to play. 

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah Konecny is the most likely. Still, Konecny plus Jiricek... I'm good with that.

Yeah I don’t think I heard him mentioned in the post presser when their GM was talking about his young players. I could be wrong. 

Still though we’d probably have to swap our 1st. I am not sure they’d trade Konecny + 5th overall straight up for just Miller. They could probably get a younger impact player that can help them now and be a part of the core long-term. 

15th overall and Miller for Konecny and 5th overall would probably be the makeup of a deal for me. 

Fletcher talked about changing the culture and Miller would certainly help in that regard. Seems like they’re gonna be cautiously aggressive though and not desperately aggressive. Bruins might be more of a desperately aggressive team this off-season with Bergeron being an aging unknown. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I don’t think I heard him mentioned in the post presser when their GM was talking about his young players. I could be wrong. 

Still though we’d probably have to swap our 1st. I am not sure they’d trade Konecny + 5th overall straight up for just Miller. They could probably get a younger impact player that can help them now and be a part of the core long-term. 

15th overall and Miller for Konecny and 5th overall would probably be the makeup of a deal for me. 

Fletcher talked about changing the culture and Miller would certainly help in that regard. Seems like they’re gonna be cautiously aggressive though and not desperately aggressive. Bruins might be more of a desperately aggressive team this off-season with Bergeron being an aging unknown. 

I think I'd want a 2nd back at least in that scenario...Otherwise, still fine with it :lol:

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think I'd want a 2nd back at least in that scenario...Otherwise, still fine with it :lol:

honestly, I wouldn't want a high first as the focal point of a deal for Miller.......that really would signal a bit of "short rebuild" phase.  I'd rather see a combination of a young, blue chip in the 21-23 age range ready to break into full time duties, an established impact player in the 25ish range and a first later in the round, at least..........I want to see them in the playoffs nexr season, not in a couple of seasons

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

honestly, I wouldn't want a high first as the focal point of a deal for Miller.......that really would signal a bit of "short rebuild" phase.  I'd rather see a combination of a young, blue chip in the 21-23 age range ready to break into full time duties, an established impact player in the 25ish range and a first later in the round, at least..........I want to see them in the playoffs nexr season, not in a couple of seasons

Ideally, sure. 

I'm not sure Jiricek wouldn't be near-ready anyway though FWIW. Maybe not for 1st pair...but start out on third and work his way to 2nd pair...maybe...

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It’s a player + pick swap. We’d get a higher pick 15th=>5thand a younger top 6 FWD that could help us now and moving forward. They’d move down 5th=>15th and get an impact 1st liner that can help them now. 

A player like Konecny could allow us to flip one of Konency/Boeser/Garland for a D or what not. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It’s a player + pick swap. We’d get a higher pick 15th=>5thand a younger top 6 FWD that could help us now and moving forward. They’d move down 5th=>15th and get an impact 1st liner that can help them now. 

A player like Konecny could allow us to flip one of Konency/Boeser/Garland for a D or what not. 

I'd just rather have two players (at least) who can step right into the lineup and have an impact.  

Just now, stawns said:

I'd just rather have two players (at least) who can step right into the lineup and have an impact.  

That’s tough to do since playoff teams wouldn’t be as up to doing that. They’re more willing to spend picks/prospects to add rather than multiple impact roster players. Too much subtraction on the NHL roster creates more holes. They’d rather go into the cupboards to solve issues. 

Perhaps rebuilding teams wanting to come out of a rebuild maybe. But you’ve still limited your options.