The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

On 7/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, Brock Best-sir said:

Canucks fans waiting for the JT Miller trade

Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

At this point it seems like they've made it clear that they are going to keep him, unless I'm missing something. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pretty guarantee they'll have to pay someone to take Myers on.........that seems to be the reality of the flatcap era here.  I have no issue with it because Myers is a solid dman and I'm happy to just ride out his contract.

I'm with you when it comes to just riding his deal out. If we didn't have almost 16m in 2 dmen already, His 6 wouldn't look like such a rough number. Ends up being a 1/4 of the cap on Huggy, Oel and Myers 

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm with you when it comes to just riding his deal out. If we didn't have almost 16m in 2 dmen already, His 6 wouldn't look like such a rough number. Ends up being a 1/4 of the cap on Huggy, Oel and Myers 

I agree, unless you could transition into a longterm defensive defenseman in a trade by including a sweetener. As mentioned, Myers is solid, but more of the same for us; more offensive than defensive. He would thrive in a system where he wasn't asked to be the shutdown guy. 

Unfortunately, numerous shoes have to drop to get us into cap compliance AND figure out our D. I don't have a clue why we wasted a 3rd and 1.5m on Dermott...just another 1.5m we now don't have to improve.

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hold on, that's not holding us back. Having over 20m in useless guys/LTIR/Buyouts is the true killer. 

OEL has been a captian everywhere he plays, Even repping his own country with the C. This sort of thing will matter when our time comes.

Remember when Myers elevated his game to an aggressive level we all loved in the bubble playoffs? I wouldn't put it past OEL for going even a step beyond that! The more huggy gets hounded, The more lesser talent they have to hound OEL... I hope we make the playoffs next year. We really really need to see who steps up. We know most our drafted kids do already

Yep, OEL isn't the killer; he is a top pairing defenseman on a reasonable contract long-term. It's Poolman, Dickinson, Dermott, and the Holtby & Virtanen buyouts that our killing us. JB did a good job of taking out the trash last year...then jumped back into the dumpster and saddled us with the same type of contracts again.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hold on, that's not holding us back. Having over 20m in useless guys/LTIR/Buyouts is the true killer. 

OEL has been a captian everywhere he plays, Even repping his own country with the C. This sort of thing will matter when our time comes.

Remember when Myers elevated his game to an aggressive level we all loved in the bubble playoffs? I wouldn't put it past OEL for going even a step beyond that! The more huggy gets hounded, The more lesser talent they have to hound OEL... I hope we make the playoffs next year. We really really need to see who steps up. We know most our drafted kids do already

How many guys can we have who are paid like key core pieces? 4 or 5 max.

Hughes, Petey, and ?  

In three years will OEL still be a key core piece, because he’s going to still be paid like one? 

In three years will Miller?

We need to be very careful who we allocate the big contracts to.  We are tied to one of those key contracts to OEL for five years.  So we have one less than we should.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Petey, and ?  

In three years will OEL still be a key core piece, because he’s going to still be paid like one? 

We need to be very careful who we allocate the big contracts to.  We are tied to one of those key contracts to OEL for five years.  So we have one less than we should.  

True plus we need to get rid of Pearson,one of poolman or dickenson in a miller deal and find a home for Myers getting a rhd back that can play.Then we can afford players in the future

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sat Shaw and the guys on 650 were suggesting there is still potential to extend Miller.  I disagree with them, but obviously they have more information.  So, if they are correct, and we can extend Miller, what does that mean for Bo?  Can we keep both him and Miller?  

I heard that as well. It did occur to me that if we did sign Miller first, it puts more pressure on Bo to sign a decent deal, it might work out well for us.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That stupid OEL contract is such a killer.  Benning’s final dagger to the gut of our team.  

I think OEL could be one of those guys who lasts well into his 30s. We have to get him a pure stay at home right side d and we should get more from him on offence. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree, unless you could transition into a longterm defensive defenseman in a trade by including a sweetener. As mentioned, Myers is solid, but more of the same for us; more offensive than defensive. He would thrive in a system where he wasn't asked to be the shutdown guy. 

Unfortunately, numerous shoes have to drop to get us into cap compliance AND figure out our D. I don't have a clue why we wasted a 3rd and 1.5m on Dermott...just another 1.5m we now don't have to improve.

Adding 1 tanev like defensive D could completely change the look of everything. With bones contract you have to think he's going to get a solid look. That's 3 offensive LD. I love schenn as a 6/7. That leaves 2 spots for Myers, poolman and dermott.

I also agree with saving the 3rd and not bringing in dermott.. but with that said I really don't think he's bad. Seems like a cheaper, Solid D who can play like 16min. 

I'm not sure what route PA is going to take, But I really hope we don't pay to remove guys at any cost. I'll hockey trade guys if he take a slight hit on talent yet only 1 year left on the deals. But no picks ect

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

You can not let a player like Miller go for nothing and they won't.

If we're in the mix for the last playoff spot, I really don't see how they would trade Miller at the deadline

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Adding 1 tanev like defensive D could completely change the look of everything. With bones contract you have to think he's going to get a solid look. That's 3 offensive LD. I love schenn as a 6/7. That leaves 2 spots for Myers, poolman and dermott.

I also agree with saving the 3rd and not bringing in dermott.. but with that said I really don't think he's bad. Seems like a cheaper, Solid D who can play like 16min. 

I'm not sure what route PA is going to take, But I really hope we don't pay to remove guys at any cost. I'll hockey trade guys if he take a slight hit on talent yet only 1 year left on the deals. But no picks ect

Always need at least 1 guy like Dermott who is a Swiss Army knife and relatively cheap. He can also comfortably play both sides. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need to be very careful who we allocate the big contracts to. 

Which is exactly why Allvin and JR have said numerous times any deal for Miller or anyone else needs to make sense for the team. This essentially means there's some kind of internal cap structure they're trying to stick to, unlike Benning and Co. who were seemingly going year-to-year wt no long-term plan in place. 

I'm confident a deal that makes sense for the franchise will get signed or assets will be obtained in a deal if they cannot agree on dollar/term.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Petey, and ?  

Burns being traded show that anyone can be moved. Giroux, Letang, Malkin all being signed showed anyone considered "old" can be still worth it to certain clubs for the big deals still. What these guys along with OEL all have on common is they have always been a star. Stars seem to age very well. They fall of when they are late 30s. 

Everything about the what if games gets proven otherwise. What ifs go both ways. What if OEL didn't have to play a shutdown roll and was able to be huggy 2.0 like he's built his entire career on?

This contract may be iffy now dollar wise, But will ease up as the cap goes up obviously 

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sat Shaw and the guys on 650 were suggesting there is still potential to extend Miller.  I disagree with them, but obviously they have more information.  So, if they are correct, and we can extend Miller, what does that mean for Bo?  Can we keep both him and Miller?  

That stupid OEL contract is such a killer.  Benning’s final dagger to the gut of our team.  

Not extending Miller is our best option to get picks and a rhd. How will we re-stack the prospect cupboard if we keep him? Next year’s draft is a great opportunity to have multiple picks in round 1 and 2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1