The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

I think we need to start practicing some Victor Hedman type superstition rituals and get this JTM situation sorted out before some CDC’ers end up in the psych ward…

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Looking at this trade, it's clear that we are closer to being in Florida's position rather than Calgary's when it comes to moving Miller. Miller is probably worth slightly less than Huberdeau (less elite skill and points, but he does play center and power-forward game, so tough to judge) and Weegar is an excellent piece to add as well, albeit on an expiring deal. 

A similar package that the Canucks could offer would be something like Miller, one of Garland or Hoglander (depending on the cap situation of the the other team), plus some future asset(s), including potentially our 2023 1st. That is a serious package, but there are a lot of things to consider in a trade this big:

• Who would the Canucks target in return?
  • What teams would actually be open to making an aggressive trade like this?
  • What teams could manipulate their cap space enough to make something like this happen? 
  • What teams might Miller be willing to re-sign with? 

These are all significant factors and finding a deal that addresses all of them to our satisfaction is unlikely. There are some teams that have the cap space, but they would not be interested in Miller at all. Some teams may have the pieces that Canucks are looking for, but not the cap flexibility to make a deal of this magnitude. I think what we are realizing is that no team meets all of those criteria, which is why the trade hasn't happened yet. But other teams are making this happen and the clock is ticking. 

I think there are really only seven teams that might possibly match up with these conditions well enough to make a trade: The Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Hurricanes, Avalanche Leafs and Capitals. The Avalanche, Leafs and Capitals only have futures to offer and would likely only be interested in Miller rather than a larger package. The Hurricanes have Necas as an intriguing young player, but other than that we are looking purely at futures in return along with cap-balancing contracts. 

The Devils are an interesting possible partner. They don't have much cap space at the moment (8.7M, but re-signing Bratt and Wood will use up all of that room), but they have some contracts that can be included in this trade or moved out separately (Johnsson, Tatar, Severson). While their young defenseman in L. Hughes and Nemec are untouchable, an intriguing player there is Mercer. He's a 20 year old right, well built, handed center with speed to burn who put up over 40 points in his rookie year last year. He would be an excellent addition to our top-9 as either our 3C or a winger in the top-6. If we take back Severson as well then we address our RHD and simultaneously balance out the cap in the trade. Sharangovich is another young forward who could be an interesting fit with our forward group. This all hinges on whether the Devils actually want to be this aggressive in improving, which they may not be. Something like Miller + Hoglander + 1st 2023 (top-5 protected) for Mercer + Severson is the best I can come up with. I'm not sure if New Jersey would actually be interested in Miller that much, but after striking out on both Gaudreau and Tkachuk it's clear they want to do something big. 

The Rangers are also interesting since they have long been rumoured to be interested in Miller. Their cap situation is extremely rigid though, which means making a deal will be tough. We will defintiely have to take back at least one contract. They do have some interesting young pieces though, including Lafreniere, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil, Kravtsov, etc. Our ideal targets would be Lafreniere or Schneider, but who knows if that can actually be done. Something like Miller + Hoglander + 2023 1st (top-3 protected) for Schneider + Goodrow is the best I can come up with there. I'm not convinced either team bites on that though. 

The Islanders are a dream big partner. Offering a massive package for Dobson didn't seem possible until now, but even then there's no guarantee that they actually accept it. They could very well choose to keep their young stud RHD. The real dream though is Barzal requesting a trade and listing Vancouver as one of his preferred destinations since he's from BC. A package similar to the one I outlined in the beginning would check a lot of boxes, but if the Islanders are looking for purely futures then something like Lekkerimakki + Garland/Hoglander + 1st 2023 (top-5 protected) + 2nd 2024 would be a lot to give up, but I think it would be worth it to get someone of Barzal's caliber. Keep in mind, this is all in a dream scenario. 

The bottom line is, the landscape for a Miller trade is pretty desolate right now. Teams do not have the flexibility to make these kind of moves this offseason and if Huberdeau is available at the deadline then it hurts a potential return for us at the deadline as well. Management has the benefit of the doubt until we see how this all ends. 

Miller, Hoglander, and a 1st for Schneider and Goodrow.... I want some of what you're smoking. 

This just shows how bad the Canucks have fu**Ed up by not drafting enough defenceman over the years. 

As much as I also want Schneider, he's just a dude with top 4 potential, not a guaranteed saviour. Hey guess what! As a late first round pick, we could always draft our own next Braden Schneider! 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I need a life, I need to stop checking on this, I need help. 

Me checking at 11 pm before bed, after previously checking at 10:45 pm: wtf nothing happened!?

Wake up at 7 am and check  CDC immediately: ok still nothing? This is just bullsh*t now! 

...(checks again 5 minutes later) 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think we need to start practicing some Victor Hedman type superstition rituals and get this JTM situation sorted out before some CDC’ers end up in the psych ward…

Where do you think we’re posting from….

image.jpeg.63cf1f17bea9251aac4c3603185f03b7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is getting ridiculous. LOL 

We’ll see what management is going to do, if they’re going to do anything at all. Didn’t Rutherford say two weeks into free agency, before trade talk ramps up again? Has it been two weeks? 

I’d be okay with Miller starting the season here in Van. He’s still got a lot to prove. Can he replicate the season he had, or was that a one trick pony kind of season? We’ll see. You’d think, though, with the addition of Mikheyev - could help the top six in their overall production. 

The defense is what I’m most worried about. We’re coming back with the same d? 

Can’t see Rutherford and Allvin being okay with that. 

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Dobson will not be moved. He is 6.04 and a beast. Future Norris winner.

Also I would not move 2 first rounders++ for Barzal. If Barzal wants to come here there is always FA?

I think it would be worth it to pay the price and get him here sooner. Barzal is a special talent that has gone unheralded in the NHL due to NYI just like Tavares did in his prime. If we get Barzal at the start of his prime, he has serious 100 point potential playing out West against weaker teams and in a more offensively-minded system with our additional firepower compared to New York. Any of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Podkolzin (eventually) will be better than anyone he's ever played with there. 

2 hours ago, TmanVan said:

Miller, Hoglander, and a 1st for Schneider and Goodrow.... I want some of what you're smoking. 

This just shows how bad the Canucks have fu**Ed up by not drafting enough defenceman over the years. 

As much as I also want Schneider, he's just a dude with top 4 potential, not a guaranteed saviour. Hey guess what! As a late first round pick, we could always draft our own next Braden Schneider! 

Fair enough if that's your evaluation of Schneider. It could be Lafreniere instead too; that would be a risky but exciting trade. 

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Isn't the problem though, how easy it is for players to jump ship?

If there was a 3-5 year ceiling, wouldn't we see even more UFAs just leaving the less desirable destinations? Maybe tearing these franchises apart?

There are other ways to deal with that though.  It doesn't matter anyway because the NHLPA will rule out anything that I would suggest.  I guess if there was ever a time to make the change it would have been during the COVID interruption with fans. Clubs had the upper hand there to push for changes given that there were no butts in the seats.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think it would be worth it to pay the price and get him here sooner. Barzal is a special talent that has gone unheralded in the NHL due to NYI just like Tavares did in his prime. If we get Barzal at the start of his prime, he has serious 100 point potential playing out West against weaker teams and in a more offensively-minded system with our additional firepower compared to New York. Any of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Podkolzin (eventually) will be better than anyone he's ever played with there. 

Have a bad feeling Barzal will end up in CGY one day 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TmanVan said:

Me checking at 11 pm before bed, after previously checking at 10:45 pm: wtf nothing happened!?

Wake up at 7 am and check  CDC immediately: ok still nothing? This is just bullsh*t now! 

...(checks again 5 minutes later) 

As long as you keep posting each time.  This bad boy has to get to 1000 before the situation will resolve.......or maybe 2000.  Or maybe 2022 pages so the stars line up.  It will happen though....sometime....soon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

As long as you keep posting each time.  This bad boy has to get to 1000 before the situation will resolve.......or maybe 2000.  Or maybe 2022 pages so the stars line up.  It will happen though....sometime....soon.

Maybe even 8.75 million pages