The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NYI forwards haven't been able to score their whole careers, so not sure what Dobson is going to do to improve that.  Didn't Dobson play over 21 minutes a night last year and still their top forward had only 59 points?  

Anders Lee, Josh Bailey, JG Pageau, Kyle Palmieri, Anthony Beauvillier.  These guys are career 50 point players.  Not even Bobby Orr would be able to turn them into 99 point players.  Brock Nelson had a career year last year at age 30.  These guys aren't even point per game players nevermind 100 point players.  The only forward NYI have that can compete with a JT Miller is Mathew Barzal.  That's it.

Jack Rathbone can move the puck, probably just as good as Dobson really.  He'd be a great asset to NYI.  Miller + Rathbone for Dobson would be a good deal for both teams.  NYI can then sign Mayfield to a long term extension.  Gotta give to get.  NYI having Dobson in their lineup isn't going to help much if all of your forwards minus Barzal can't even score 60 points.  They need Miller just as much as we need Dobson.  

Yeah NYI needs some serious offensive firepower up front.  The guys they have right now are mostly 2nd line guys.  The only bonafide top line forward is Barzal. 

Come to look at it, Barzal hasn't even got close to a PPG season since Tavares left.  So even that is a question mark as to whether or not Barzal can hit PPG numbers without a bonafide star on the team.

Edited by HKSR

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NYI forwards haven't been able to score their whole careers, so not sure what Dobson is going to do to improve that.  Didn't Dobson play over 21 minutes a night last year and still their top forward had only 59 points?  

Anders Lee, Josh Bailey, JG Pageau, Kyle Palmieri, Anthony Beauvillier.  These guys are career 50 point players.  Not even Bobby Orr would be able to turn them into 99 point players.  Brock Nelson had a career year last year at age 30.  These guys aren't even point per game players nevermind 100 point players.  The only forward NYI have that can compete with a JT Miller is Mathew Barzal.  That's it.

Jack Rathbone can move the puck, probably just as good as Dobson really.  He'd be a great asset to NYI.  Miller + Rathbone for Dobson would be a good deal for both teams.  NYI can then sign Mayfield to a long term extension.  Gotta give to get.  NYI having Dobson in their lineup isn't going to help much if all of your forwards minus Barzal can't even score 60 points.  They need Miller just as much as we need Dobson.  

Miller + Rathbone for Dobby would be too big of a steal. Supply & demand of a young, strong, two-way RHD with great offensive numbers who can handle big TOI without any major flaws is one of the most sought after positions in the league.

I also think Lou Lam highly values Dobson, and all signs point to him burning a 1st rounder to bring in a decent partner for Dobson, so unless Dobby is pulling a Tkachuk, I strongly doubt he's moved. If he does pull a Tkachuk, many many teams will be putting in big offers for his rights or the second ever sign and trade.

Miller, Garland, Rathbone, Hoglander & a 2024 1st for Dobson and either Beauvillier or Wahlstrom is probably a starting point if Dobby has already demanded a trade IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Miller + Rathbone for Dobby would be too big of a steal. Supply & demand of a young, strong, two-way RHD with great offensive numbers who can handle big TOI without any major flaws is one of the most sought after positions in the league.

I also think Lou Lam highly values Dobson, and all signs point to him burning a 1st rounder to bring in a decent partner for Dobson, so unless Dobby is pulling a Tkachuk, I strongly doubt he's moved. If he does pull a Tkachuk, many many teams will be putting in big offers for his rights or the second ever sign and trade.

Miller, Garland, Rathbone, Hoglander & a 2024 1st for Dobson and either Beauvillier or Wahlstrom is probably a starting point if Dobby has already demanded a trade IMO.

I'd throw in Garland and Höglander to get Wahlstrom no problem.  They aren't getting a 1st round pick though.

I doubt they want to trade Wahlstrom though.  I'd simply add Höglander to the deal.  Miller + Rathbone + Höglander for Dobson.  I'd do that deal...

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How about Miller and Rathbone for Barzal? 

• Upvote 1

Dobson is a pipe dream, but would be best case scenario in all of this. He was my #1 that draft. As the board started playing out I kept saying to myself, "Dobs still on the board, ok they didn't take him either". When Detroit took a forward I celebrated in my living room that we were going to get Dobson, then looked down at the list I had made. I think I had Hughes as 5, and then thought, oh man I wonder if they take him instead. When the Bucks got up there and selected Hughes I felt my stomach drop. I texted my buddy who knew I was a diehard Dobs fan that draft and told him to tell me things were ok. He's a Detroit fan and he said, "I can't believe we just passed on Hughes, he will be the best player this draft". I was still on edge but I felt much better.

This story holds zero relevance, I'm just seeing that page number and know I need to contribute and I've beaten my Drance meme to death at this point.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Trade Miller for Necas.

Trade Pearson for a 3rd. 

Sign De Haan. 

Podkolzin-Petterson-Necas

Garland-Horvat-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Dickinson-Mikheyev 

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

OEL-Myers 

Hughes- De Haan 

Rathbone - Schenn 

Ok I'll go back to work. 

Just keep Pearson trade Hoglander if need be

Garland-Petterson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Necas-Mikheyev 

Joshua-Lazar-Hoglander

Seth Meyers Burn GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd throw in Garland and Höglander to get Wahlstrom no problem.  They aren't getting a 1st round pick though.

I doubt they want to trade Wahlstrom though.  I'd simply add Höglander to the deal.  Miller + Rathbone + Höglander for Dobson.  I'd do that deal...

That deal still isn't enough IMO. Garland's 5-on-5 skills would be upgrade over how Beauvillier & Wahlstrom looked last year so that's part of what I was valuing. I think if they are forced, which I still doubt for the record, to put Dobson on the market, they'll be able to acquire a 1st from a team. There's very few teams that would not be (maybe Arizona, Chicago) contending for his rights.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Dobson, Barzal and Sorokin are their core - none are getting traded unless they ask out.

2 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Exactly

Quick! Someone from Canucks media write an article saying that Barzal wants out and to come home to Van!!! :frantic:

Edit: Sekeres or Price, I'm looking at you!

Edited by Jester13

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Dobson is a pipe dream, but would be best case scenario in all of this. He was my #1 that draft. As the board started playing out I kept saying to myself, "Dobs still on the board, ok they didn't take him either". When Detroit took a forward I celebrated in my living room that we were going to get Dobson, then looked down at the list I had made. I think I had Hughes as 5, and then thought, oh man I wonder if they take him instead. When the Bucks got up there and selected Hughes I felt my stomach drop. I texted my buddy who knew I was a diehard Dobs fan that draft and told him to tell me things were ok. He's a Detroit fan and he said, "I can't believe we just passed on Hughes, he will be the best player this draft". I was still on edge but I felt much better.

This story holds zero relevance, I'm just seeing that page number and know I need to contribute and I've beaten my Drance meme to death at this point.

Thank you for your contribution to 1000...

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If NYI had offered Dobson, do you really think that Rutherford/Allvin would have turned them down?

Miller would of course help them but certainly not at the cost of Dobson, Barzal or Sorokin.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

We arent getting Barzal.  Why would nyi trade him? 

And Rathbone is worth zero. 

Don’t want Barzal.  Guy is a ringette player, who is clearly trending downward. 

The Bone is going to be more valuable than Barzal very soon.  

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Woah are you overrating wahlstrom

Broke my ankle last week from a fall while hiking on Salt Spring. Aside from the pain, the boredom and not being able to go outside in the summer (laying in bed with an elevated leg), it means I’m looking at this freaking thread most of the day. Ya, it's my choice, but there’s not a lot of options (Netflix, cdc, a book…). My wife keeps asking, why do you need to check on the Canucks all day in the summer? Good point. Hopefully, something happens soon with JT and I can find a new addiction.

• Cheers 4