The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Return of Edler and the Kings Vs Boudreau lead Canucks, Dec 6th 7pm pst

Rate this topic

86Viking

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Boudreau is a seasoned coach which is nice. He may very well change the fortunes of the team, and all will be well. I just think it just proves peoples suspicions that Aquilini is a controlling owner.

He's soo seasoned that maybe he wont be behind the bench for all that long anyway. Don't know how old coaches keep going but 66 is getting up there.

Oh and AQ is for sure a controlling owner. Used to be pretty good buddies with his daughter Alana's boyfriend when I lived in Van. I also did business with the AQ liquor brands...I've heard a few stories . 

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Really?

FNM was one of the biggest bands in my time. Love that dude. 

Got to meet Mike a few times. My band once opened for Bungle.

Crazy. That's cool. Never shared a stage with him myself, but I'm not dead yet lol.
He has done some crazy Italian/classical stuff too that not many know about.
We should get him to sing the anthem!

Just now, King Heffy said:

Still better than allowing Green to stay while the search is conducted.  At least this hire is qualified for the position, unlike the guys Benning chose.

Something had to give, for sure. Boudreau may prove to be the elixir that cures this team's woes, along with a couple of significant trades. One would think that the safe bet would have been to hand the team to an interim coach like Shaw for the remainder of the season, as clearly ownership was fine with giving the management of the team to Smyl and Gear on an interim basis. 

3 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Crazy. That's cool. Never shared a stage with him myself, but I'm not dead yet lol.
He has done some crazy Italian/classical stuff too that not many know about.
We should get him to sing the anthem!

He's brilliant.

I remember him doing a vocal jazz project that toured... but i cant for the life of me remember the name... think it started with a 'D'

Edti: not a 'D'...the band name was Fantomas

Edited by bishopshodan

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He's soo seasoned that maybe he wont be behind the bench for all that long anyway. Don't know how old coaches keep going but 66 is getting up there.

Oh and AQ is for sure a controlling owner. Used to be pretty good buddies with his daughter Alana's boyfriend when I lived in Van. I also did business with the AQ liquor brands...I've heard a few stories . 

Yup. There's a difference between being in control, and being controlling. 
That's the thing AQ needs to figure out.
If you have so little faith in the people you hire to do specific jobs, that you're constantly interfering, then you need to go. 

Edited by fecklund
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

66 really isn't that old. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I bet. PM me.....:lol:

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That doesn't mean Boudreau will.

Seems odd for an owner to hire a coach without ensuring that the potential GM would be in a agreement with the idea. I guess this does provide a lot more impetus regarding the fact that Francesco is a bit of a control freak. 

Aquaman is the real GM and steamer is just a figure head.  It seems, Aquaman is really going to give the GM gig, a shot. 

Taught it was Weisbrod that was conspiring against JB

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Something had to give, for sure. Boudreau may prove to be the elixir that cures this team's woes, along with a couple of significant trades. One would think that the safe bet would have been to hand the team to an interim coach like Shaw for the remainder of the season, as clearly ownership was fine with giving the management of the team to Smyl and Gear on an interim basis. 

Shaw would have needed a fresh set of assistants; it would have been tough to find q complete staff to bring in for an interim coach.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Shaw would have needed a fresh set of assistants; it would have been tough to find q complete staff to bring in for an interim coach.

Yet it happens seemingly every year in the league where a coach is canned, and an interim takes their place. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

Canucks win but Edler scores a goal so I can pretend he scored his 100th goal at Roger’s Arena. 

If Edler scores a goal, you don’t have to pretend. It “will” be a goal. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, khay said:

Looking forward to Edler's return. There should be a standing ovation.

Gosh, still can't believe we let him walk without a proper plan to replace him. 

At least, should have offered a decent contract to him, if the rumored 900k @1year offer is true... that's enough reason to dislike JB.

I hope we pylon him. 

Use our speed on him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How often do all of the assistants also have to be canned though?

Quite often. Most of the assistants are chosen by the coach. That being said, I guess only Green and Baumgartner were dismissed. Shaw, Clark, King are still here?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Quite often. Most of the assistants are chosen by the coach. That being said, I guess only Green and Baumgartner were dismissed. Shaw, Clark, King are still here?

100% agree with keeping Shaw and obviously Clark.
But King? He's a water boy like Dumbgardener. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Shaw is a very recent hire, King semi recent, both probably on a short leash and ‘under review’ quietly to see if they jive with the message from the head coach. 

I really don’t care who the coaching staff ‘is or is not’… if they’re effective, cool. If they’re not, hit the road jack. 

Now we’ll see what we’ve got. I like aggressive. And Bruce doesn’t seem to mind a few roughing penalties when the moment is right which is exactly what we need.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1