The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 08, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just hope the CDC and the entire fanbase goes easy on these guys over the next 18 games regardless of what that means.   The "Bruce Bump" is a thing.  He's done it with ANA, and WSH...maybe that's going to happen with Vancouver as well.   Have to say for all the criticism the last month on ownership, they did find a great coach to give the team a chance at this season.   Guys the man when it comes to changing things around.   And i'm sure he's also very aware that Trotz did what he couldn't as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely right. He's will have the final say, but only a fool doesn't listen to others. 

If the boys have an idea, why they haven't lived up to expectations or think they can improve, what have you got to lose but 10min of your life listening to them.

QH has been amazing, and the only reason there hasn't been more focus on him, is because Canucks have had a poor season, while Makar plays on one of the best sides in the NHL... be interesting to see if the focus of the press changes over the next couple of months (provided this continues)... zero doubt that as this team grow, so does QH... Good times ahead, me hopes :)

Yes for sure if QHs was playing in COL things would be a lot rosier for him.   That said i do think the hockey writers and guys that vote for these sort of things understand circumstances matter too.   QHs ... well if he's plus 20 and has 70 points for sure they won't miss that. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I was a Green supporter too. A lot of what the team did in the bubble had me buy in. Team looked like it gelled, they were playing hard etc. In retrospect, i dunno if that was Green or the players being excited to make the playoffs. 

I was super excited coming into this season. 

Green started to lose me this training camp with his player selections. I realized he doesn't have an eye for talent unless they bust through the doors like Petey did in his rookie season. 

I realized that if he is unsure he will go with the safe mediocre choice at the expense of losing someone who might have a much higher ceiling. 

He doesn't have the confidence to get an unknown player to his ceiling. 

The season then started and we saw repeated defensive breakdowns, complete passivity on both ends, passive pk etc. 

That strategy is what you do when you have a crappy team void of talent. 

The fact green was coaching the team this way showed he was incapable of playing any other way. 

Green stuck in the NHL as a player by playing this way and he can't get out of this mindset. 

Green was a good coach at the beginning with the Canucks because the Canucks actually had a pretty good team, and when they were aggressive they won 99% of their games. Then as time went on you saw him starting to employ his system of playing passive and safe hockey and all of the good game was coached out of all of the players. We never had odd man rushes, we never passed to the trailing man, we never were aggressive along the walls and we never played a strict man to man coverage. 

We just relied on goaltending. That was our entire defensive plan. 

Halfway through the first season can nobody remember everybody calling the team "Jekyll and Hyde"? It's because you had pro players battling between playing the right way vs playing a terrible system. Eventually he had everybody buy into it because as a professional you should listen to your coach, especially if you want ice time. Green never rewarded the guys who grinded on the team (as a matter of fact he often demoted them). It was maddening to watch and often times I'd comment on it to half the board responding with, "I don't see you coaching behind an NHL bench, what the hell do you know?"

Well, evidently, a hell of a lot more than Green. There were like 4 of us posters on CDC that could see the writing on the wall from a mile away at the time. We went from being told we weren't fans to having everybody else on the forums agreeing with us in the next few years lol. The funny thing is in the bubble, we played perfectly against Minnesota and St. Louis, and had we continued that same style of hockey we would have murdered Las Vegas as well because they absolutely hit a cold streak offensively against us. All of their offensive producers went cold in that series. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Just hope the CDC and the entire fanbase goes easy on these guys over the next 18 games regardless of what that means.   The "Bruce Bump" is a thing.  He's done it with ANA, and WSH...maybe that's going to happen with Vancouver as well.   Have to say for all the criticism the last month on ownership, they did find a great coach to give the team a chance at this season.   Guys the man when it comes to changing things around.   And i'm sure he's also very aware that Trotz did what he couldn't as well.  

Probably would like nothing better than to stuff it down folks throats, that his play offs history could be better... But he is exactly, what this team has been needing. Think experience counts more than anything, when its having to deal with young players in a funk.

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me at least, i really doubted he could do it.  So i'm sorry and that's  my apology.  I still have doubts given it hasn't been one season yet, but love this guy he's a little animal and wants to take on more.    I really did doubt he had it in him.   Bouchard is right there with him as far as fantasy  hockey goes ..., and killing it right now ahead of Barrie.   He was my pick that year and all QHs has done since is just make me wrong so can apologize for that.    Hope he's like Brian Campbell was plus his extra gear with offense.   I sure do remember Brain Campbell making fools of us. 

Bouchard has good offensive tools, but if you put him on a less offensive team his numbers would deteriorate. He's more on the same level as a modern day Edler, he's just playing on a great offensive team. Earlier in the year he was actually doing decently defensively but he's been a tire fire lately in his own end (as have all Oilers defensemen lately, except for Nurse, he's uncharacteristically been playing well lately despite playing really poor defensively earlier on in the year). 

Fantasy hockey wise, Bouchard is good. Real life wise, he's closer to a #4 defenseman. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The honeymoon will last at least until the next back to back losses. The question is why didn't Boudreau's teams have much success in playoffs? The warm and fuzzies were probably needed from BB to calm the anxiousness of a coaching change, especially with a club mired in a long losing streak. Boudreau says he does have a bottom line and at some point will have to exert that or at least Walker will. Bottom line is that there are regular season teams and then there are playoff teams. Playoff teams have to have a serious physical game. IMO the Canucks aren't there right now.  

The Canucks need roster changes to become a true playoff contender.

Boudreau has struggled a bit in the playoffs but to be fair how many times did he run into a really strong team and lose despite them pushing the series to 6 or 7 games?

His playoff record isn’t as bad as most think. And tbh it’s probably a huge motivating factor for him as well. He clearly feels he has something to prove in the playoffs. Hopefully the new gm will be good at building playoff quality depth around the core. If they can I really feel like Boudreau could be the coach to get the Canucks a cup. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The honeymoon will last at least until the next back to back losses. The question is why didn't Boudreau's teams have much success in playoffs? The warm and fuzzies were probably needed from BB to calm the anxiousness of a coaching change, especially with a club mired in a long losing streak. Boudreau says he does have a bottom line and at some point will have to exert that or at least Walker will. Bottom line is that there are regular season teams and then there are playoff teams. Playoff teams have to have a serious physical game. IMO the Canucks aren't there right now.  

Good point... Its always easy to be everyones daddy, when the sky is blue...

Lets see what happens later down the line. Regardless, it was clear the players didn't have the belief under Green/Baumer, so a change was needed. 

For now its refreshing, and too be honest the players and fans alike needed a bit of sunshine... long may it last :)

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me at least, i really doubted he could do it.  So i'm sorry and that's  my apology.  I still have doubts given it hasn't been one season yet, but love this guy he's a little animal and wants to take on more.    I really did doubt he had it in him.   Bouchard is right there with him as far as fantasy  hockey goes ..., and killing it right now ahead of Barrie.   He was my pick that year and all QHs has done since is just make me wrong so can apologize for that.    Hope he's like Brian Campbell was plus his extra gear with offense.   I sure do remember Brain Campbell making fools of us. 

Good points; and imo, any player, if paired with the right coach can certainly develope pass any projections.  QH with Green, probably plateud; with Bruce, he will develope something else; and the same can be said about others - they just have to ask him cause he seems to be open to solutions, rather, than being rigid.....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yup but he'd be in tough to actually play games with Hellebuyck and Gibson most likely ahead of him even though Demmer has probably had at least as good a season if not better than both. They are just more proven commodities as of right now.

Similarly to how, before his personal troubles, the Canada crease was already being predicted to be given to Price

Demko is going to get more than enough work for us; hope the US passes on him; makes it even easier to cheer against them.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I didn’t doubt he could do it. I always thought it was a matter of figuring out how to use his offensive side strengths in his defensive game. Skating, aggressive confidence, puck movement etc rather than trying to become something he is not defensively (which seemed to be Green and Baumgartners view on every players development). He has done that.

I liken him to Duncan Keith minus the dirty play and the snarl (I know, we hate him). Keith built his defensive game around his offensive strengths. Paired with the right D partner that turned a weakness into a strength. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I found my brother running laps at China Creek Park once, he was wearing his steel toe work boots. I said what the hell? He said that the weight would help his endurance. Up the steep hill at the end too. 

Bure skating with the parachute resistance.

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks need roster changes to become a true playoff contender.

Boudreau has struggled a bit in the playoffs but to be fair how many times did he run into a really strong team and lose despite them pushing the series to 6 or 7 games?

His playoff record isn’t as bad as most think. And tbh it’s probably a huge motivating factor for him as well. He clearly feels he has something to prove in the playoffs. Hopefully the new gm will be good at building playoff quality depth around the core. If they can I really feel like Boudreau could be the coach to get the Canucks a cup. 

Boudreau's struggling in the playoffs has to do with lack of elite goaltending while facing other team's hot goaltending which is a bad recipe in the playoffs.  I remember that when I was living in the area in Washington DC that time.  They could do no wrong, they dominated in the series but couldn't beat Halak.   So Boudreau has a history of getting his stars to the best so I think he will do fine even if we make the playoffs.   He even got his star players performs in the playoffs with the way they dominate in the series.  I am not that worried about his ability in the playoffs.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, coolboarder said:

Boudreau's struggling in the playoffs has to do with lack of elite goaltending while facing other team's hot goaltending which is a bad recipe in the playoffs.  I remember that when I was living in the area in Washington DC that time.  They could do no wrong, they dominated in the series but couldn't beat Halak.   So Boudreau has a history of getting his stars to the best so I think he will do fine even if we make the playoffs.   He even got his star players performs in the playoffs with the way they dominate in the series.  I am not that worried about his ability in the playoffs.  

This is very fair comment as well. 

Benning's refusal to fire Green really sealed the deal on him

It turned the fan base completely off him, which is too bad

Because  we are seeing that his build, was not that bad

Is being a decent human being, a detriment when being a GM?

There are still holes on the Canucks, but when the team pulls together

they are certainly less visible.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

In the playoffs - the games are very different cause of the Zebras.  One important context, to consider when discussing the playoffs: are to consider, the kind of teams that are making the playoffs for the particular year - but in general, it seems to matter more, what trajectory the team is at heading into the playoffs (just look at MTL last year or the 94 run) cause sprinkled in with some hot goaltending - anything can happen.

As for Boudreau, his dismal playoff record was the first thing, that I remembered, about his firing in Washington; and it was, Trotz that eventually finished the job (plus, don't forget about Holty's brilliance in those playoffs and the timely goals).  Perhaps, goaltending and his team not peaking at the right time can be the reasons for his dismal playoff record - who knows ?  Hopefully, this is the roster, where he will find his playoff success with cause of Demko.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Well it all begins with puck luck, and if you have a rabbits foot bigger then the other team. And or if the refs are against you..  hot goalies to maybe... coach bb never had a great goaliento begin with... last night's game could of been a lost with our luck before those posts would of counted.  Final score 3-1 Boston. Demko played lights out and with luck of the Bruce and good positioning those hit the post then in....

• Upvote 1