The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Never said Rutherford was a problem.  If you read my prior posts, I have consistently iterated that I have nothing against Rutherford. 

I disagree that it isn’t a ‘hockey’ problem. NBA teams and the league are worth more than NHL counterparts, yet, there’s no issue with diverse players/owners/Executives. 

The Socio-Economics are worse in the US than Canada, yet the US is consistently better at representing more diversity in all their major sports, including hockey than Canada is. 

As far as Formula 1 goes, Lewis Hamilton, who is arguably the greatest of all time, best all the rich white kids with used parts and essentially reclamation of thrown away or used parts in karting. It was his and his dads’ determination and commitment that has made him a 7 time world champion.

Open the sport/all sports up to diverse people/backgrounds and the cream rises to the top, as opposed to curdled creamy people always having to be swallowed by audiences and fans of ‘sport’. 

All you need to play basketball is a ball and something to throw it in to. It's VERY much about socio economics.

That's not too say I don't think hockey can't/shouldn't continue be more inclusive. But that's not THE problem here.

And again, no idea why this is in a Rutherford thread. 

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the problem right there. 

I don’t what’s wrong or ‘woke’ about commenting about the lack of diversity at the Executive level in the NHL. 

The NBA and NFL don’t have this issue, and diverse personnel there have been accomplished in their respective sport. The NHL is the last of the major sports organization to address this. 

That’s not being ‘woke’, that’s being awake. 

It's the nature of the game and who it appeals to. I'd like more diversity in the sport to, as that would mean that the sport was reaching more people, but look at the parts of the world that hockey is most popular. North America, Scandinavia, Russia and parts of Europe. That's a pretty ethnically homogenous base to draw from, and it's largely because of environment. People that live in colder climates are more likely to be drawn to hockey, and most peoples that live in colder climates are white. So, considering that most NHL execs are people that have already been in or around the NHL to begin with, it makes sense that the majority of NHL execs are caucasian.

Again, I would love to see the sport grow and diversify, but it's not something that can be forced. It's entirely possible, even likely, that on a general level people of other ethnicities just aren't as interested in hockey to begin with, and that's fine. Just let people do what they want and let the chips fall where they may.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

All you need to play basketball is a ball and something to throw it in to. It's VERY much about socio economics.

That's not too say I don't think hockey can't/shouldn't continue be more inclusive. But that's not THE problem here.

And again, no idea why this is in a Rutherford thread. 

All people of ethnic/gender minority in hockey need, even those who have some money, need is a stick and a puck.   What’s the problem right? 

You clearly are not demonstrating a grasp of the historical prejudices/discrimination of basketball or even hockey, that is still evident today. 

If you don’t know why, or can’t understand why, this was raised in this thread, perhaps read up and not be so dismissive. Who the &^@# are you to say what belongs in this thread and what doesn’t?

I raised the issue because I believed it to be relevant to an underlying issue with the hiring as an issue league/sport-wide, while also not opposed to the particular hiring, which I’ve reiterated several times now. 

If you don’t like the discussion or my opinion, don’t participate or reply.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's the nature of the game and who it appeals to. I'd like more diversity in the sport to, as that would mean that the sport was reaching more people, but look at the parts of the world that hockey is most popular. North America, Scandinavia, Russia and parts of Europe. That's a pretty ethnically homogenous base to draw from, and it's largely because of environment. People that live in colder climates are more likely to be drawn to hockey, and most peoples that live in colder climates are white. So, considering that most NHL execs are people that have already been in or around the NHL to begin with, it makes sense that the majority of NHL execs are caucasian.

Again, I would love to see the sport grow and diversify, but it's not something that can be forced. It's entirely possible, even likely, that on a general level people of other ethnicities just aren't as interested in hockey to begin with, and that's fine. Just let people do what they want and let the chips fall where they may.

I appreciate the measured reply. 

Cheers. 

Not sure how cold Australia is (I’m being facetious of course), but they’re pretty damn good at a lot of cold weather sports, particularly Olympic level stuff. 

Is weather really the defining variable? 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I appreciate the measured reply. 

Cheers. 

Not sure how cold Australia is (I’m being facetious of course), but they’re pretty damn good at a lot of cold weather sports, particularly Olympic level stuff. 

Is weather really the defining variable? 

It's certainly a variable. There are of course other socio-economic variables as well, but every culture on the planet is drastically affected to that culture's environment, so I really do believe it's a significant factor. Not to say that there aren't exceptions to the rule, but I certainly don't think it's a fluke that colder nations are more drawn to a sport like hockey.

At the end of the day I do believe we will start seeing a bit more diversity in NHL front offices, but only to a point. At some point it needs to be realized that hockey just isn't as appealing to POC as other sports, and so long as the sport is open and exclusive enough to welcome POC that do enjoy the sport, that's fine. Not everything is going to appeal to everybody. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the problem right there. 

I don’t what’s wrong or ‘woke’ about commenting about the lack of diversity at the Executive level in the NHL. 

The NBA and NFL don’t have this issue, and diverse personnel there have been accomplished in their respective sport. The NHL is the last of the major sports organization to address this. 

That’s not being ‘woke’, that’s being awake. 

Sure buddy. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Socio-Economics are worse in the US than Canada, yet the US is consistently better at representing more diversity in all their major sports, including hockey than Canada is. 

Take your "socio economics" to another thread buddy. This thread is for comments on Canucks GM issues. 

Good god...

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

38 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Take your "socio economics" to another thread buddy. This thread is for comments on Canucks GM issues. 

Good god...

Stop replying to posts if you don’t like the discussion surrounding them. 

Grow up. 

And, there is no god(good or otherwise) you pablum eating munchkin. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

Rutherford signed 6 one year deals in his first year in Pittsburgh.

One was Christian Erhoff for 4 million dollars. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/christian-ehrhoff-signs-1-year-deal-with-penguins-in-big-win-for-new-gm-162611864.html

He also did Alex Semin for 1 year 7 million in Car.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

44 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Rutherford signed 6 one year deals in his first year in Pittsburgh.

One was Christian Erhoff for 4 million dollars. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/christian-ehrhoff-signs-1-year-deal-with-penguins-in-big-win-for-new-gm-162611864.html

He also did Alex Semin for 1 year 7 million in Car.

Sounds like a lower risk, better idea than 6x6 for LE. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Judging by the team Francis picked...

we'll see how the low cap strategy works out for them in a few years. I can see why they went this way, no one was going to poop the bed like the GMs did with Vegas. 

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I was commenting on the lack of diversity. Media relations don’t run teams. 

I don’t need to try very hard to see the lack of diversity at the NHL top levels with respect to teams or the League itself. If I’m awake to it then I have the critical thought to think about it. If you don’t see an issue then that blindness says more about you that me commenting about something that is glaringly apparent. 

generalized 'oh look another white dude' comments do nothing to help. It shuts down any meaningful conversation and doesn't actually help to provide real solutions. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agreed. God knows I would have rather paid Loui 8x1 than 6x6. 

Lol if only…

Difference in Pittsburgh is everyone wanted to play with Crosby to boost their stats, so you could get guys on one year deals.

No chance any player signs a one year deal with the Canucks right now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Look at their expansion draft again.  They picked a lot of duds.

they did, but they also aren't locked into a lot of horrid contracts. They'll be able to acquire some picks for sure this TDL moving guys out and using the cap space for others expiring crap. Its the opposite to Vegsas and might turn out to look pretty good a few years from now. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lol if only…

Difference in Pittsburgh is everyone wanted to play with Crosby to boost their stats, so you could get guys on one year deals.

No chance any player signs a one year deal with the Canucks right now.

True.

But the point is that short term, high dollar contracts are generally safer than multiple year contracts, so I'm not sure why the guy having a mental breakdown over Rutherford is using these short term contracts as some sort of ammo against Baby Ruth.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Also short term, low risk like Jack Johnson’s 5 year, $16.25m contract, Brandon Tanev’s 6 years, $18m, or Marcus Pettersson’s 5 years, $20m?

Rumour was that Crosby and Johnson were really tight and that move was made to make him happy.

Not always the best reason to sign someone but it was definitely a high risk high reward contract that didn’t pay off. Everyone has them.

As for Tanev, he’s a helluva player. I would have had no problem paying him 4 mil over someone like Sutter. And clearly they had no problem unloading that contract either.

Pettersson at 4 mil ain’t great but it’s not gonna kill you either. That’s the low end for top 4 D which he is in Pittsburgh right now. And he’s still only 25 with room to grow. 

Hold up any of these contracts to some of the ones Benning signed and they look decent.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2