The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Right or wrongly, he probably likes to surround himself with folks he trusts... time will tell.

Yea I get that but unless he’s going to be here long term pulling the strings he needs to pick the best person available regardless if he knows them or not.

I would hope he’s not just hiring someone that he feels he owes. That county club way of building an organization doesn’t work.

I have yet to see any evidence point to Allvin being the best candidate. Anyone wanna fill me in on why he would be a good choice other than Rutherford being familiar with him?

And it better not be because he’s Swedish and therefore be a good fit with the Sedins when they take over…

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He's excellent at maneuvering around the cap and would be working under the hockey man to end all hockey men in Rutherford. I'd be content with Gilman.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Pens drafting while Allvin was Director of Amateur Scouting for the Pens. The Pens European scouting under Allvin wasn't exactly amazing either. He shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

Assuming Allvin is the frontrunner, people need to be more worried about this.

Even if Rutherford thinks Allvin is the best person for the job (certainly debatable to me), I think it’s the optics that he has to worry about with making him GM. 

Even if not true, on the surface it looks like rewarding people who helped him win cups in Pittsburgh over building a unique Canucks oriented front office. It also, when combined with other off moves like hiring Clancy first, etc, looks like the GM is just going to be a figurehead and Rutherford will actually be the true GM.

McFarland is easily a better candidate imo and alleviates some of those bad optics. 

• Cheers 1

Allvins background is scouting and from what I can tell it’s not too impressive.

He was was a European scout, followed by director of European scouting from 2006-2017.

So he can take some credit for Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, Kapanen, Simon, Gustavsson. Not an impressive list in the least.

His time in Montreal from 2002-06 is more impressive if he had a big hand in European scouting. He was part of drafting Halak, Kostitsyn x2, Streit, Grabovski.

I mean if that’s his resume I am really struggling to see how he should be a GM. Unless he is more involved in trades and cap management than we realize.

If we want someone with a good scouting background MacFarland is much better. Hell hire Brackett as an AGM over Allvin. At least he has a good scouting track record.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Allvins background is scouting and from what I can tell it’s not too impressive.

He was was a European scout, followed by director of European scouting from 2006-2017.

So he can take some credit for Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, Kapanen, Simon, Gustavsson. Not an impressive list in the least.

His time in Montreal from 2002-06 is more impressive if he had a big hand in European scouting. He was part of drafting Halak, Kostitsyn x2, Streit, Grabovski.

I mean if that’s his resume I am really struggling to see how he should be a GM. Unless he is more involved in trades and cap management than we realize.

If we want someone with a good scouting back MacFarland is much better. Hell hire Brackett as an AGM over Allvin. At least he has a good scouting track record.

I don’t think the next GM has to necessarily have a scouting background or even be focused on scouting.

Revamp the scouting department and get a director of amateur scouting who can do the job without the GM needing to hold his hand or overrule him constantly. 

We had that guy in Brackett imo and he would have been perfect in this management environment.

Canucks fans need to realize that having a gm and an agm who both spend an inordinate amount of their time and energy personally scouting is not the norm in the nhl. Weisbrod and Benning were very much a joke in that regard. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don’t think the next GM has to necessarily have a scouting background or even be focused on scouting.

Revamp the scouting department and get a director of amateur scouting who can do the job without the GM needing to hold his hand or overrule him constantly. 

We had that guy in Brackett imo and he would have been perfect in this management environment.

Canucks fans need to realize that having a gm and an agm who both spend an inordinate amount of their time and energy personally scouting is not the norm in the nhl. Weisbrod and Benning were very much a joke in that regard. 

Fair enough, but what bothers me more is that scouting is pretty much the only thing Allvin has extensive history in, and considering that his resume as a scout is poor (and seemingly getting worse as time goes on), what reason do we have to believe he'll excel in facets of the job he's not familiar with at all, outside of a cup of coffee in Pittsburgh?

We have to get this hiring right, and MacFarland is right there.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Fair enough, but what bothers me more is that scouting is pretty much the only thing Allvin has extensive history in, and considering that his resume as a scout is poor (and seemingly getting worse as time goes on), what reason do we have to believe he'll excel in facets of the job he's not familiar with at all, outside of a cup of coffee in Pittsburgh?

We have to get this hiring right, and MacFarland is right there.

He wouldn’t be my choice. Really familiarity with Rutherford is about the only reason I can come up with that he is on the short list. 

39 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He wouldn’t be my choice. Really familiarity with Rutherford is about the only reason I can come up with that he is on the short list. 

He would be the first Swedish born GM that was hired.

He was the first Swedish born GM as interim for the Pens.

Hopefully they’re not just doing it for headlines.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He would be the first Swedish born GM that was hired.

He was the first Swedish born GM as interim for the Pens.

Hopefully they’re not just doing it for headlines.

Not sure why “Sweden” still needs to be a Vancouver thing tbh. Just hire the best people. Who cares if they meet a diversity quota or are firsts in the nhl or any other non relevant criteria?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s what we’re trying to figure out.

From the outside it’s a bit of a head scratcher.

is it? I thought he had a pretty deep scouting background.

I like the capologist from Colorado better but don't hate getting a scouting guy either. Need both somehow.

12 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

We really need an outside voice in this group if we are just bringing guys over who worked with JR in the past. We should be going all out for McFarland rolling out the red carpet. 

he may not want to leave. If Sakic can't get the Av's out of the 1st round a job may open up there.