The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (02-08) 2022

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Quite jealous of the Ducks rebuild. They’re in a real good position moving forward.

Honestly, their young NHL talent and prospect pool are something to envy. And their goaltender is as good as ours.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Pretty good results all round tonight, except for the Ducks winning.

IMO next week's road trip will decide the season for us. Looking at the opposition we have in the space of one week we could potentially come back with zero points.. If we could get to .500 I would be extremely happy.

That's going to be a brutal road trip.  

I would honestly be thrilled with 2 wins out of 5, or however they can get to four points. 

Florida Panthers look like the best team in the league at the moment. 

30 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Pretty good results all round tonight, except for the Ducks winning.

IMO next week's road trip will decide the season for us. Looking at the opposition we have in the space of one week we could potentially come back with zero points.. If we could get to .500 I would be extremely happy.

You're right, that's an absolute murderer's row

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Quite jealous of the Ducks rebuild. They’re in a real good position moving forward.

They didn’t even rebuild though. At least not traditionally. Didn’t really sell anything. Just picked where they picked. I guess you could say they have drafted well. I actually remember Murray saying something around the idea of rebuilding isn’t the way. Can’t remember the exact words

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

They have lots of big decisions coming up.  

Rickard Rakell is a UFA.  He'll probably get a raise on his 3.8 mil but the question is if it will be with Anaheim.  Can they justify selling him if they're in the playoff picture?  (don't think they can) 

Sonny Milano is an arb eligible RFA that's having a great year so far.  

Sam Carrick is a very good depth forward for them who is also a UFA.  

Sam Steel and Isaac Lundestrom are arb eligible RFAs. 

Nick Deslaurier and Ryan Getzlaf are also UFAs. 

Hampus Lindholm and Josh Manson are UFA dmen (27 and 30 years old respectively).  

I'm really curious to see which way they go.  First they would need to hire a GM, but lots of these decisions need to be made before the season ends.  Making the playoffs this year could end up being detrimental to recouping picks/prospects for some of their veterans who may not be part of their long term plan.  

So far their rebuild is looking pretty good, but I'm not sure that I would trade rosters at the moment.  I would take Hughes, Elias, and Brock over Drysdale, Zegras, and Terry but it is close.  Hoglander and Podkolzin are also better then Sam Steel and Max Comtois.  They do have two excellent prospects in Mason McTavish and Zellweger (forget his spelling). As good as their youngsters have been, they still rely heavily on some older veterans who are around 30 years old.