The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins re-sign Tuukka Rask

9 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I feel they just went ahead on nostalgia and will potentially damage Swayman out of this. 

Swayman doesn't need waivers so the Bruins will likely assign him to Providence for the rest of the season and they'll only call him up if they can swing a trade to get rid of Ullmark.

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

But Rask is the "stop gap " one year addition, not sure why they think this is a positive move but I guess Rask has a pedigree but has also shown to be a quitter so its a bit of a head scratcher.

Ullmark isn't the long-term solution either.  Get a return for him and then look for a backup for Swayman next year.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Swayman doesn't need waivers so the Bruins will likely assign him to Providence for the rest of the season and they'll only call him up if they can swing a trade to get rid of Ullmark.

At this point Swayman was establishing himself at the NHL level and doing well. Demoting him is not a positive in his development. He will say the right things etc sure but its a poor move.

I don't know why people think Ullmark is the guy on the outs, Rask is a one year ? at best ? fit in Boston and goaltending was not their issue this season so. Ullmark and Swayman as 1a/b moving forward is a very good tandem and I believe Swayman has a lot more to prove, he will be a very good starter.

31 minutes ago, JM_ said:

this could be good for us, might help to create more of a market for Halak in the east, assuming thats how things go. I hope not but if we do fall in the standings at least we can be selling higher. 

How so?  It makes Ullmark expendable, which means less demand for Halak?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He doesn't want to play anywhere else.  Hometown discounts are not cap circumvention.

This. He was never going to play for anyone else, and capfriendly has his career earnings at just over 61.5M. He doesn't need the money, he won a cup in Boston, there's really nothing to fuss about here.