The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nash ~ NYR ~ Vancouver (Proposal) or Nash ~ Colorado ~ Vancouver (Proposals)

So, basically, I know there is something wrong with the values, but I can not put my finger on it. Please feel free to tear it apart, and do your best to make it work.

Please play along and give me your perspective.

Miller at 50% to NY Rangers

Kunin, Schnieder and NYRangers 2202-2nd to Vancouver

Motte  and NYRangers 1st to Nashville

OR

Miller at 50% to Colorado

Kunin, Baron and Colorado 2023-2nd to Vancouver

Jost and Colorado 2023-1st to Nashville

Ok Trash away!

39 minutes ago, BPA said:

Why does Canucks want Kunin?

I see him as a young strong center. He is playing wing right now, but Nashville is strong down the center..............

Do I rank him too high? I am not sure, but Nashville liked him, so I am not alone.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

COL could for sure use Miller.   Vegas loaded up with Eichel, and COL will almost certainly have to face them in the playoffs if they are going to use this two year window they have before good players will need to be traded to pay others ... To me it makes more sense then NYR as a trading partner.    Like TB, Vegas, Florida they are in a win now mode.   With Kadri playing himself off their team .... Miller makes a perfect stop-gap the next two seasons, and gives them there best shot at a cup this season.    They've already got Makar, what is Byram going to cost them to keep?   More then they can afford.    This is what i'd like for giving them a cup or two: 

Miller  50% retained, Schenn and a cap dump of their choice that expires next season.  

For Byram,  and two first rounders.   

They can trade guys to recover picks themselves.   They eventually will have too.    And those first rounders are essentially early second rounder value - odds are one roster player for later, so not the same as a first rounder from a bubble playoff team looking to add Miller.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i like schneider and a first but would like to get one more prospect.

in your model, i don't see us saving much cap and would have to give brock away too to get our cap down.

as usual, it is well thought out.

The cap issue is a good question Joe, so I looked it up...........

Kunin is at 2.3 million in the last year of his contract........IMO, I do not see him getting double, so....an estimate would be 4.Million

Miller is at 5.2 million in the second to last year................IMO, his new cap will be in the 7.5 to 8.0 million range

So short term, there is a savings of approx. 1.250 million, but long term, it is much more in comparison .........approx . 3.5 to 4.0 million difference

Boesers current salary is 5.875, add that to 1.250 short term savings, and Boeser gets a raise to 7.15 million, which is where he should end up on a long term contract. 

PS..I actually think Boeser gets a little less on a long term, which makes it easier.............8 years @ 7.00 per.? I could be wrong, but I do not see him making more than

Pettersson or Hughes, but I have been fooled before! 

I am surprised on the lukewarm response to Kunin. this guys is a 200 ft player, who hits, and is a total team player. He is 24 years old, 6'0" 197 lbs, who totally fits in the core for the whole, run.

IMO, with addition of Baron or Schneider, we take the heat off of finding that pairing for Hughes and then, we can use our 1st's for BPA and not have to reach, or push.

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Yeah I’d rather keep Miller if that’s all we’re getting for him, especially if we’re keeping 50% as well. 

With respect Pears........

I am not sure Miller is valued at 3 1sts with out retention...........

Kunin drafted 2016 15 OA

Schneider drafted 2020 19th OA    or      Baron drafted 2020 25   OA................in redrafts both Schneider and Baron go higher in their draft

2022 24 to 28 OA

I do not honestly see Miller's value any higher, but that is me.........

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

With respect Pears........

I am not sure Miller is valued at 3 1sts with out retention...........

Kunin drafted 2016 15 OA

Schneider drafted 2020 19th OA    or      Baron drafted 2020 25   OA................in redrafts both Schneider and Baron go higher in their draft

2022 24 to 28 OA

I do not honestly see Miller's value any higher, but that is me.........

Only one of these guys has the potential to make an impact and that’s Schneider. I’m sorry but this is about as underwhelming as a proposal I’ve seen for Miller. 

• Cheers 1

I think it's a step in the wrong direction. If we move Miller we have to hit a home run. Miller is a guy who peaked late all signs point to him being able to maintain his level of play into his mid 30's if not continue to improve. Have we seen the best of Miller yet? I'm not sure we have. I mean that dirt bag pos Kadri is having a career year at 31 years old, Marchand still slaying it at 33 late bloomer, Lil Joe took 8 seasons to break out here he is at 37 on pace for nearly 100 points, Marty st louis broke out at 26 and was ppg player practically until he retired an old fart. The list goes on. IMO Miller isn't on the edge of decline he's just getting hot. 

IF JR's goal is truly to be a competitive team in 2 years that doesn't make Miller chopped liver. Show me a cup contending team with out a few guys over 30?

So ya unless the return is staggering. If Minni wants to go all in I want Rossi, Boldy, Lambos. Realistically Miller is worth 3 firsts especially if we retain. And those guys on ELC's are only going to serve to get them worse draft pics during their forced rebuild. Could cost them Michkov Bedard.   

Anything short of a massive overpayment is a no from me Dawg. Realistically the priority should be to move Brock for futures to free up cap to re sign Miller. 5x8m would be a fantastic deal for us. Miller isn't going to decline enough by age 34 to make Brock at 7.5m look good over the course of their respective extensions. 

Brock to Boston @ 50% for Lysell git er dunn Mr Clean. 

I sincerely hope Garland is staying put he is the embodiment of what this team needs to emulate to win.   

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 2/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, basically, I know there is something wrong with the values, but I can not put my finger on it. Please feel free to tear it apart, and do your best to make it work.

Please play along and give me your perspective.

Miller at 50% to NY Rangers

Kunin, Schnieder and NYRangers 2202-2nd to Vancouver

Motte  and NYRangers 1st to Nashville

OR

Miller at 50% to Colorado

Kunin, Baron and Colorado 2023-2nd to Vancouver

Jost and Colorado 2023-1st to Nashville

Ok Trash away!

I definitely prefer the first trade over the second one.

Schneider is a no brainer. And I think Kunin is a very good young target as our long term 3C.

I also wonder whether the NYR 2nd round pick could be added as a sweetener to trade Dickinson for Crouse's RFA rights.

Next season F group:

Garland Horvat Boeser

Crouse Pettersson Podkolzin

Pearson Kunin Hoglander

Highmore Lammikko Motte

• Cheers 1

As a further thought to next season...Florida are going to be in cap hell. They are going to have to move some contracts.

I think it is likely they move Hornqvist who has 1 year left at $5.3m, he is playing a bottom 6 role and also has an 8 team no-trade list. He's not going to go to places like Detroit, Ottawa, Arizona that can afford him, and most places he would want to go won't be able to afford his cap hit. I think VAN with all its Swedish connections would appeal. If we have the cap space from moving Miller, taking on one year of Hornqvist could be a very lucrative deal for VAN, especially if FLA cannot move him anywhere else...