The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada’s Women National Football Team (Soccer)

StanleyCupOneDay

It's embarrassing enough to be knocked out in the Group stage, but to lose 4-nil is a bitter pill indeed. The team really needs to find Sinclair's replacement, because it doesn't appear as though Huitema is going to be able to fill those boots. (Probably time for Sinclair to hang them up, too)

I'll find a bandwagon to jump on for the rest of the tournament, but TBH, all I'm really hoping for now is for someone (anyone) to beat the Americans. Sweden might have a shot....

8 hours ago, -SN- said:

There are tons of kids playing soccer - it's the most popular sport in Canada for youths. We're 10th in the world in registered players. 

Our coaches suck.

There's no long term development plan, tactics or skill developent plan (6-18) - coaches just put out the biggest, strongest kids and call it a day. Eventually those kids hit a brick wall (especially internationally) because they have no fundamentals.

Skill-based development is generally frowned upon.

Infrastructure sucks, fields are often garbage and there are very few indoor facilities.

CSA (along with the top tier teams in Canada) has been garbage for a long time and wil continue to be.

You've pretty much described everything that's wrong with the national team development program right now.

The current Canadian women's team plays incredibly uninsipred and bland football. The buildup is slow, the ball movement is incredibly predictable and the midfielders don't effectively link up with the forwards. It's almost as if they've become so used to Sinclair doing everything that they don't know what to do now that she's inevitably begun to show her age. They've relied so long on being able to bully weaker opponents with their athleticism that they never learned to adapt to the rest of the world catching up.

Sacking Priestman and bringing in someone with a better mind for tactical football might provide some short-term solutions but as you mentioned, as long as grassroots coaching ignores technical development and our infrastructure lags behind in quality, there's always gonna be a ceiling to what Canada can achieve internationally. Not having a domestic women's league also really hurts in that regard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Clearly our best male athletes try to become hockey players first. Then they move into other sports like Basketbsll, football, baseball if they can’t be good enough for hockey. Soccer is way down the list for our male athletes. For girls it’s different. Yes, they want to be hockey players, but there isn’t the money and prestige like in guys’ hockey so the top girl athletes will turn to soccer girls more than boys. We historically have been way better women’s soccer than guys, snd we still are. We just had a bad few weeks. 

I wouldn’t say historically the women soccer is better than guys.. it’s only better coz the competition is weak outside or top 10 just like hockey the competition is weak outside us and Canada. 

Dammit! :angry:

Portugal were a shot off the woodwork away from sending the Yanks home.....:wacko:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/womens-world-cup/article/u-s-slips-into-womens-world-cup-round-of-16-after-scoreless-draw-with-portugal/

A goal post saved the United States from elimination at the Women's World Cup.

Ana Capeta nearly scored for Portugal in stoppage time but her shot hit the left post and the United States escaped with a uninspiring 0-0 draw Tuesday night that got them through — just barely — to the knockout round.

Meanwhile, Netherlands win group E with a 7-0 trouncing of Vietnam and England win Group D after an easy 6-1 win over China.

Last night's action showed the differences between the Men's and Women's game....

Brazil, Italy and Argentina were all eliminated in the Group Stage, while South Africa, Jamaica and Nigeria are all moving on to the Knockout Stage....

Another shock elimination, as South Korea picks up their first point in the tournament in a 1-1 draw with Germany. The 2nd ranked Germans needed a win to advance, thanks to Morocco's 1-nil win over Colombia.

Colombia ends up topping Group H, while Morocco, who lost 6-0 to Germany in their opening match, are also advancing. The Germans and Koreans are heading home.

Just had a look at the bracket. Huge match up on Sunday, as the US (who finished second behind the Netherlands in Group E) play Group G winning Sweden, who have looked like the best side in the tournament so far.

C'mon Sweden....you can do this....:towel:

Happy with this result.  New world champ this time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/womens-world-cup/article/womens-world-cup-day-18-no-three-peat-for-u-s-as-resilient-sweden-pulls-off-win/

Women's World Cup Day 18: No three-peat for U.S. as resilient Sweden pulls off win

sweden_1280-1040x572.jpg

Sweden's team celebrate after defeating the United States in a penalty shootout in their Women's World Cup round of 16 soccer match in Melbourne, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 6, 2023. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Happy with this result.  New world champ this time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/womens-world-cup/article/womens-world-cup-day-18-no-three-peat-for-u-s-as-resilient-sweden-pulls-off-win/

Women's World Cup Day 18: No three-peat for U.S. as resilient Sweden pulls off win

sweden_1280-1040x572.jpg

Sweden's team celebrate after defeating the United States in a penalty shootout in their Women's World Cup round of 16 soccer match in Melbourne, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 6, 2023. 

Made them cry! :towel:

• Cheers 1

Yep. The Matildas are the real deal....especially considering that Sam Kerr hasn't really been a factor....

That being said, I was picking the Swedes after the group stage and I'm sticking with it. I'm expecting a Sweden - England final....

• Cheers 2

On 8/13/2023 at 7:30 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. The Matildas are the real deal....especially considering that Sam Kerr hasn't really been a factor....

That being said, I was picking the Swedes after the group stage and I'm sticking with it. I'm expecting a Sweden - England final....

We are a sports mad nation however the Matildas have really captured Aussie hearts.

Watched the game and shootout against France with my son, longest shootout in world cup history men or women.

Lost to a way better side on Wednesday night, that game set viewing records of any television, streaming event in our history. 

Over 70,000 people rocking up to matches. 

Spain v England should be a cracker.

Maybe we can beat the Swedes, watched a few of their matches, they are a great team.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

We are a sports mad nation however the Matildas have really captured Aussie hearts.

Watched the game and shootout against France with my son, longest shootout in world cup history men or women.

Lost to a way better side on Wednesday night, that game set viewing records of any television, streaming event in our history. 

Over 70,000 people rocking up to matches. 

Spain v England should be a cracker.

Maybe we can beat the Swedes, watched a few of their matches, they are a great team.

I agree that England deserved the win, but the better side doesn't always win and I can't help thinking "what if"...

After a cross into a packed box, the ball falls to the foot of none other than Sam Kerr from three meters out and she hits it wide on the volley....that would have made it 2-2 and likely would have gone to extra time.

Same goes for Spain....in the quarters against the Dutch, Netherlands forward Lineth Beerensteyn missed a chance very similar to Kerr's late in extra time. 30 seconds later Spain scores the winner....