The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

2 minutes ago, Nuxnation said:

Yea.  Let the young guys play.  Save the money.  Move myers out even and weaponize the cap.

Yes and I forgot Rathbone in there.

We have many D men like ten, two extra per spot.

We'd have to trade a LD or Rd to accommodate the new guy we either sign or trade.

With all the noise out there that the Canucks have a trade option with San Jose, they may be waiting to verify that they are going to be able to sign who they want in the UFA market before they take steps to free up the 6 million cap hit. If their target falls through, then it doesn't make sense to push to move him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

100%

A 6'7 RHD is going to have value, especially when you're getting him for peanuts. Myers would be a great bottom pairing guy playing a sheltered role, especially in a more competent system. It's when he's playing 18-22 minutes a night against tough matchups that he is a train wreck. Worse players get dealt at the deadline for some high value.

He's even a decent #4/2nd pair guy with an appropriate (defensive) partner to cover for him. 

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

What about?

QH - Schenn

Clifton - Hronek

xx Myers

I think there will be some trades available as teams need to move pieces around and expect some value UFAs available post July 1 - 5 frenzy

Schenn and Clifton are both solid defensively both are physical, and both might be open to 2 - 3 year contracts

Clifton is interesting…thought he was a righty though?

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With all the noise out there that the Canucks have a trade option with San Jose, they may be waiting to verify that they are going to be able to sign who they want in the UFA market before they take steps to free up the 6 million cap hit. If their target falls through, then it doesn't make sense to push to move him.

That, or waiting for San Jose to move EK to open the space for Myers. 

54 minutes ago, Nuxnation said:

Yea.  Let the young guys play.  Save the money.  Move myers out even and weaponize the cap.

Letting the young guys play is one thing if the young guys are incredibly talented and are naturally acclimating to the NHL. Fact is, if you have an inexperienced defense, those savings will mean nothing, when they're getting walked by more experienced teams. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I think you are right, would likey have to be him or Schenn then

Maybe if the Myers trade happens we could look at both. Clifton’s scouting report calls him a ‘mobile depth defensemen,’ also like that he’s on the younger side at 28

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Oh i think there is......News Flash • Sandwich, MA • CivicEngage

Hronek effectively replaced Myers, no?

It will be Huggy’s partner (tbd) and Hronek playing top 4 RD minutes. Myers should be playing bottom pairing this season.

Unless it’s Huggy Hronek…

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The UFA pool is shrinking, I worry if we trade Myers we won't have anyone to replace him just yet. We already need 1 top-4 defenceman, ideally two, let's not make it 3 unless we can make some savvy trades.

Mayfield is surely re-signing with NYI.

Graves doesn't want to play in Canada.

That leaves Dumba, Klinberg, Dumoulin, Soucy, Holl and Clifton (and some old guys I won't bother mentioning).

I worry we're going to throw 6x6 at Klinberg or a bit less at Dumba and end up with the same problem we have with Myers down the line.

If there's any world in which we can get Graves and Mayfield for 10M I'd do it but I doubt they're coming here. Even one would turn this team into a playoff team. Neither, and we're struggling with just 2 proper NHL top-4 defencemen.

I for one will be glad when the pool has emptied out

Never been a fan of overpaying for long term retirement contracts

Unless they just want to be here for far less than market value and term, I think we should have learned our lesson by now

14 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I for one will be glad when the pool has emptied out

Never been a fan of overpaying for long term retirement contracts

Unless they just want to be here for far less than market value and term, I think we should have learned our lesson by now

Yeah, the more we can address our needs via trade, the better.

Forbort at $3M, Peeke at $2.75M…

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, the more we can address our needs via trade, the better.

Forbort at $3M, Peeke at $2.75M…

There's all sorts of teams still in a cap crunch.... TBL, CAL, VGK, LAK, DAL, TOR, EDM, MIN, COL... here's hoping we can pull a piece or two from some of them for pennies on the $.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's all sorts of teams still in a cap crunch.... TBL, CAL, VGK, LAK, DAL, TOR, EDM, MIN, COL... here's hoping we can pull a piece or two from some of them for pennies on the $.

Deadline to waive players for buyout is tomorrow at noon, so I’ll expect a few cap clearing trades in the morning 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Letting the young guys play is one thing if the young guys are incredibly talented and are naturally acclimating to the NHL. Fact is, if you have an inexperienced defense, those savings will mean nothing, when they're getting walked by more experienced teams. 

Not to mention, with our injury luck, the young guys will get plenty of opportunity anyway. Key is to have enough depth that we aren't playing the guys that shouldn't even be in our future plans.

• Vintage 1