The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

On 6/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, kilgore said:

As far as the best version of this incarnation, another controversial pick I am guessing but the best version of the Orca IMO is the Sprite can version.  I just think the extra shoulder layer and white stripes complete the look.  I also don't mind the "sprite" fade.  Because its not a garish colour fade, like the old salmon pink ones. It actually elevates it.

USATSI_15610025-scaled.jpg

I was surprised how quickly this jersey grew on me. My first impression was "it's certainly better than the original gradient". I liked it the more I saw it. When I actually saw somebody wearing one I liked it more than our current Orca.

• Cheers 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, kilgore said:

We've been talking about this topic for over 50 years, because we still don't have that timeless understated logo that some of the original six do.

I don't mind our Orca logo.  I even kind of like it some nights...when we are blowing some team away and I've had a few wobbly pops.

But lets face it, we've never had a logo that a vast majority of fans love.

Here's the best versions of the designs we put out, IMHO:

Stick in Rink.

What a dumb lazy logo.  Der.....we play hockey with stick in oval rink (like every other team). Especially boring was the first incarnation.

0528-van-orland.png

The update was slightly more dynamic but still booooooooring and too general.

canucks-horvat-stick-rink.png

Then came  probably our best most unique jersey.  The big V.  Way ahead of its time.  A jersey AND logo in one.  head>explode.  Why are these the only jerseys we NEVER get to see as alternates?  I'd love to see them in black/white, green and blue.

thomas-gradin-canucks.jpg

wafflebored-canucks-v-1.jpg

Then the gawd awful....design wise....Flying Skate logo.  An amateurish highschool art project look. The Canucks lettering formed as the skate blade?....just no.  Do I still get a lump in my throat and dopamine shot into my brain whenever I see this logo? damn rights. I was at a couple of the 94 run playoff games at the colosseum. Game 5 against Calgary and Game 6 against Toronto watching Linden hoist the conference cup and lid falling off to the ice. :lol:  It was a magical time, and this logo is special for that reason and should never be out of commission and be used an an alternate more often.  Black one is the best of this lot, but the logo itself is not going to ever win any design awards.

fac22c7628d93bec5e5d9e3b470e5f43.jpg

1188737817.jpg

Then came the Orca.

I would have preferred the original design that designer Brent Lynch came up with for McCaw.  The one he said no to is now used by the Vancouver Giants.  You've all seen it.  A beautiful design of the ultimate "Canuck" logger.  With a nod to the original stick-in-rink. (He carries the stick on the same angle). I am convinced that if McCaw had gone with this design, we'd all mostly be happy today with the logo.

But McCaw said go back to the drawing board, and the Giants snapped it up.  And he then came up with the Orca.  I know it was a part of the business name of the company was used to run/fund the team, but I also think it reflected our Province, through its native species, and native art style. How many penguins have you seen in Pittsburgh? We don't need to promote Canuckness.  Its slang for a Canadian. As general a term as a stick and rink. Molsons Canadian already sponsors one Canadiens team.

As far as the best version of this incarnation, another controversial pick I am guessing but the best version of the Orca IMO is the Sprite can version.  I just think the extra shoulder layer and white stripes complete the look.  I also don't mind the "sprite" fade.  Because its not a garish colour fade, like the old salmon pink ones. It actually elevates it.

USATSI_15610025-scaled.jpg

With all due respect you’re wrong on pretty much everything here. :lol:

You say the problem is that we don’t have a timeless understated logo of the original 6. The original 6 have some of the most boring designs around… 

You call the skate logo an art school project, what about the Habs, Leafs, or  Bruins logos? That’s as art school as you can get. There’s zero creativity involved in those.

You want timeless simple logos the stick in rink is right there with the rest of them.

The skate logo may not be the most creative but the colours just match beautifully together. And the crest is not that much worse than some of the other boring original crests.

I won’t even get into the sprite jerseys, those were awful and completely missed the mark on what a reverse retro should be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Skate jersey is by miles the most iconic Canucks Jersey...

I don't know about iconic. Nostalgic yes, largely on the back of that 94 run, it's got all sorts of "feels" propping it up. That and the (black jersey anyway) colour scheme is great.

Objectively it's just not a good logo though. Beyond it's solid ability to convey motion it's overly complicated and fussy. Bit of a mess graphically honestly :lol:

I'd love to see a cleaner, modernized version of it though. Perhaps even using our current colours (though maybe with a darker/off black blue).

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You say the problem is that we don’t have a timeless understated logo of the original 6. The original 6 have some of the most boring designs around… 

You call the skate logo an art school project, what about the Habs, Leafs, or  Bruins logos? That’s as art school as you can get. There’s zero creativity involved in those.

You want timeless simple logos the stick in rink is right there with the rest of them.

The skate logo may not be the most creative but the colours just match beautifully together. And the crest is not that much worse than some of the other boring original crests.

I won’t even get into the sprite jerseys, those were awful and completely missed the mark on what a reverse retro should be.

One must judge what a simple design from 1918 like the first Habs logo with the C and H, with what is considered a simple design now.  I don't consider the Habs or Bostons, or even Leafs logo "art school project".  Simple sure.  That more bare simplicity of their logos reflected when they joined, and are steeped in history.

A hockey rink with a stick. How is that reflecting the name "Canucks" or BC or Vancouver?  Embarrassingly unimaginative for a team logo in 1970.  Let me guess, if Vancouver ever had a MLB team, you'd be stoked about this as their logo:

eyqlRDV.jpg

I"ve designed a few logos myself in my career, this one only took a few minutes and no thinking, and yeah it shows. 

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
Oscar Wilde

Yes, the sprite jersey is the closest the Orca version has come to working design wise. It has the perfect balance of uniqueness, with the subtle fade, and structure with the white stripes framing the logo and reflecting the white of the ice. Its pure class.

vancouver-canucks-defenceman-nate-schmid

47 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Skate jersey is by miles the most iconic Canucks Jersey...

Definitely the most iconic. Which is why I still love it. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm going to disagree that the stick in the rink is with the original 6 logos. In my opinion, it's just not balanced compared to the other logos. The problem is you have too much white in the middle (being the rink) and this skinny little stick in the middle. The fact that you literally have to look closely to see the "C" due to the stick being in the rink shouldn't be a thing. The C needed to be way more obvious in my opinion.

1. The Canadians logo is balance. It may be boring but it's balanced enough to have symbolism. You can also clearly see the C, unlike the stick-in-the-rink.

2. The Maple Leafs logo is also simple for the most part given it's pretty much just one tone (either white or blue depending on what the jersey it's on is). It is of an iconic symbol being from the Canadian flag, unlike the stick-in-the-rink which is what?... stick in the rink?... like why? lol

3. The Bruins logo is also simple enough. It's a B with a design around it and you can see it's a B, unlike the C in the stick-in-the-rink. Already the Bruins logo is much better based on that.

4. The Red Wings might be a little more "silly" than the other original 6 logos. It is however at least portraying a wing as is in the name, unlike the stick-in-the-rink which has no symbolism to do with Vancouver really unless if we're talking colours?

5. The New York Rangers logo is also at least obvious. It says New York... and yes, I prefer the "Vancouver" above the Orca symbol over the stick-in-the-rink. I actually think if we had just a basic workmark on our jersey it would be better than the stick-in-the-rink. My opinion of course.

6. The Chicago logo in my opinion is one of the best logos in the league. If you don't at least think that logo's creative, than there's no point in us continuing this disussion at all. lol

Don't get me wrong. I don't "hate" the stick-in-the-rink. I just think kilgore's right in this case and I think anyone who think that the stick-in-the-rink's up there with the original 6 logos is delusional beyond repair. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I'm going to disagree that the stick in the rink is with the original 6 logos. In my opinion, it's just not balanced compared to the other logos. The problem is you have too much white in the middle (being the rink) and this skinny little stick in the middle. The fact that you literally have to look closely to see the "C" due to the stick being in the rink shouldn't be a thing. The C needed to be way more obvious in my opinion.

1. The Canadians logo is balance. It may be boring but it's balanced enough to have symbolism. You can also clearly see the C, unlike the stick-in-the-rink.

2. The Maple Leafs logo is also simple for the most part given it's pretty much just one tone (either white or blue depending on what the jersey it's on is). It is of an iconic symbol being from the Canadian flag, unlike the stick-in-the-rink which is what?... stick in the rink?... like why? lol

3. The Bruins logo is also simple enough. It's a B with a design around it and you can see it's a B, unlike the C in the stick-in-the-rink. Already the Bruins logo is much better based on that.

4. The Red Wings might be a little more "silly" than the other original 6 logos. It is however at least portraying a wing as is in the name, unlike the stick-in-the-rink which has no symbolism to do with Vancouver really unless if we're talking colours?

5. The New York Rangers logo is also at least obvious. It says New York... and yes, I prefer the "Vancouver" above the Orca symbol over the stick-in-the-rink. I actually think if we had just a basic workmark on our jersey it would be better than the stick-in-the-rink. My opinion of course.

6. The Chicago logo in my opinion is one of the best logos in the league. If you don't at least think that logo's creative, than there's no point in us continuing this disussion at all. lol

Don't get me wrong. I don't "hate" the stick-in-the-rink. I just think kilgore's right in this case and I think anyone who think that the stick-in-the-rink's up there with the original 6 logos is delusional beyond repair. lol

I dunno that seems pretty obvious that it’s a “C” to me. I’m talking about he updated one not the original.

My point was that most of those original 6 were pretty plain and simple which the stick in rink also is.

It’s not even my favourite logo I’m just saying you can’t knock it for being boring while also praising those other logos.

B95466EB-0A61-4230-9AFC-A5DB77BE6AFB.png

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't know about iconic. Nostalgic yes, largely on the back of that 94 run, it's got all sorts of "feels" propping it up. That and the (black jersey anyway) colour scheme is great.

Objectively it's just not a good logo though. Beyond it's solid ability to convey motion it's overly complicated and fussy. Bit if a mess graphically honestly :lol:

I'd love to see a cleaner, modernized version of it though. Perhaps even using our current colours (though maybe with a darker/off black blue).

You may be able to do a modernized version, but in my humble opinion, I'd find it hard to out do the original one. 

I think the team look 2ft taller wearing the black skate jersey, and I also love the white one (I've always loved white jerseys regardless)... 

As a fashion statement they would come close to the jerseys of the original 6 with a stand out message on the front. 

Don't personally find it 'messy', but get what you mean.

I find it really cool and the fact a fashion house went really close with a design of theirs bear statement to that. 

But its with fashion/jerseys, as it is with women (or men)..., some like them young and some like them mature, some like them skinny, and some like them curvy. 

To me the skate jersey really rocks...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Canucks can have a true timeless classic with North Vancouver's Glen Green's Johnny Canuck C concept. It keeps the current C but with the Canucks' namesake inspiration instead of the corporately-inspired Orca. I would also put the original Stick in Rink on the shoulders instead of the current Checkmark in Rink and a return to the timeless block-style font with an added green outline instead of the cheap and bland Agency font.

FB_IMG_1535732323849.jpg

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Objectively it's just not a good logo though. Beyond it's solid ability to convey motion it's overly complicated and fussy. Bit of a mess graphically honestly :lol:

Other players and fans love that jersey too - it's not just about nostalgia.  Media types too.   Practically every game they've brought it back someone is drooling over and gushing about it - media types, fans and players alike.   Miller isn't even old enough to have followed that run - yet boldly stated to make it home jersey's all the time .... Bieksa said that their team (peak Sedin era players ) - asked many times to bring it back and wear it but were denied - they maybe were 10 during that run and how many of these guys were actually Canuck fans growing up .... not many.   For whatever reason it just works, the V wasn't that bad either.    What is bad, the first Orca, awful really why purple?  Ugly.    At least they fixed the colours. 

Edit:  I agree the logo is unique - not sure objectively if it's really that bad, for whatever reason it just worked.   It feels fast maybe that's it ... Other logos vary from ok to amazing (whalers take the cake i think anyways) ... I love the Sabres logo too, but a group of famous graphic designers picked it apart in THN book on the 25 best hockey jerseys in the world (they picked SJ as number one...eye of the beholder i suppose, one of their earlier ones)....CHI, Sweden, Detroit, Habs next up ... Trail Smoke Eaters we're top ten as well only BC uniform that made the cut, none of the Canucks jerseys made it in lol... quite a few juniors ones did though...so i'm sure your right on the logo.   I like it.   But yes it's probably very nostalgia based for me at least.    They did give props to both the SIR and the Skate though and explained what was good about them and what wasn't ... They crucified the Orca and the V though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Canucks can have a true timeless classic with North Vancouver's Glen Green's Johnny Canuck C concept. It keeps the current C but with the Canucks' namesake inspiration instead of the corporately-inspired Orca. I would also put the original Stick in Rink on the shoulders instead of the current Checkmark in Rink and a return to the timeless block-style font with an added green outline instead of the cheap and bland Agency font.

FB_IMG_1535732323849.jpg

That's pretty bad-ass.   Not sure about the C does come across as a bit too close to the Habs C ... but it is what it is... I'm ok with just leaving them as is and bringing back the Skate often.   Would really like to see the White Skate on away games ... used to be our home jersey and to me they were the best uniforms we've ever had ... TVs weren't so good back then - the black ones were hard to see the names/numbers at times (try watching on a 20 inch tube with rabbit ears 15 feet away on a couch lol...couldn't see the puck much either lol)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

You may be able to do a modernized version, but in my humble opinion, I'd find it hard to out do the original one. 

I think the team look 2ft taller wearing the black skate jersey, and I also love the white one (I've always loved white jerseys regardless)... 

As a fashion statement they would come close to the jerseys of the original 6 with a stand out message on the front. 

Don't personally find it 'messy', but get what you mean.

I find it really cool and the fact a fashion house went really close with a design of theirs bear statement to that. 

But its with fashion/jerseys, as it is with women (or men)..., some like them young and some like them mature, some like them skinny, and some like them curvy. 

To me the skate jersey really rocks...

I made a few comments about the white Skate.   It was way easier to see on TV, and given they were our home uniforms, they rocked for sure.    The Black Skate was also awesome ... pure menace.   Folks need to remember that Vancouver owned that colour for a couple decades (black).   No other team in the league went there .... until almost ALL of them did in the late 90's.    They copied us.   Dallas, Buffalo... I suppose LA was an early adopter changing theirs from purple/yellow too Black when Wayne came in  (and that one sure made an impact as well...)  It got tougher to see anyones numbers back then lol ... until TVs got bigger and cheaper and finally high definition came in.   Fox puck was there for a reason lol.    Sure a few teams kept to their roots (Detroit, Habs)... but CAL didn't either.   And several others.   Canucks had it right ... and then messed it way the heck up.    Wasn't until they changed back to close to our original colours and the peak Sedin era that they got back on a better path.    For the younger generations, like it or not, the Skate won't ever go away.   Because it's just better.   Fans of other teams, players young and old ... media .. They like it.  Horvat and QHs look like total bosses wearing it ... so does Myers ... so does anyone really.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Here's the leagues logos from 70/71

Logos.thumb.png.d12501dc67706647ec5bec6e1aea14ee.png

I thought the Nucks and Seals were the two worst in the league with Minny and LA not far behind. Of the original six I always thought the Red Wings had the best logo. It has style and adding the wheel as a nod to where the team plays was brilliant. But the SiR in comparison to any of them is just a plain boring meh.

Blues for sure got it right from the start ... Buffalo did too.   Seals - awful - ours was better.   SIR feels like a half done job - ran out of time and just went with it lol.   IF they got it right at the start - none of this would even be a topic.   So did PHI for that matter ... got it right from the start.   Their uniforms are pretty iconic.    North Stars was also pretty meh... I liked our colours though ... and really it wasn't the worst of the all-time worst NHL uniforms ever - just plain and a little middling.   ANA - what a joke of a uniform that was/is for example.     Based on a movie AND corporate branding lol... at least they didn't make a movie about the "Orca's"... Quin kept the team's name from changing ... he did what he could ... that era of our history makes JB's feel like we won a cup. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Blues for sure got it right from the start ... Buffalo did too.   Seals - awful - ours was better.   SIR feels like a half done job - ran out of time and just went with it lol.   IF they got it right at the start - none of this would even be a topic.   So did PHI for that matter ... got it right from the start.   Their uniforms are pretty iconic.    North Stars was also pretty meh... I liked our colours though ... and really it wasn't the worst of the all-time worst NHL uniforms ever - just plain and a little middling.   ANA - what a joke of a uniform that was/is for example.     Based on a movie AND corporate branding lol... at least they didn't make a movie about the "Orca's"... Quin kept the team's name from changing ... he did what he could ... that era of our history makes JB's feel like we won a cup. 

Yeah nothing has ever come close to as bad as the Messier years and the forced exodus of the actual Canucks roster.  I figure that's what the Roman Empire must have been like under Commodus or Nero.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Other players and fans love that jersey too - it's not just about nostalgia.  Media types too.   Practically every game they've brought it back someone is drooling over and gushing about it - media types, fans and players alike.   Miller isn't even old enough to have followed that run - yet boldly stated to make it home jersey's all the time .... Bieksa said that their team (peak Sedin era players ) - asked many times to bring it back and wear it but were denied - they maybe were 10 during that run and how many of these guys were actually Canuck fans growing up .... not many.   For whatever reason it just works, the V wasn't that bad either.    What is bad, the first Orca, awful really why purple?  Ugly.   At least they fixed the colours. 

Edit: I agree the logo is unique - not sure objectively if it's really that bad, for whatever reason it just worked.  It feels fast maybe that's it ...

Well, like I said the color scheme looks great, particularly in black (though IMO the blue and green is more "Vancouver") so I get why people/players like the jerseys (beyond just the feels). And also like I said, the logo solidly conveys motion, so it gets props for that as well. Beyond that though, it's just not a very good logo. Though it probably is our second best! :lol:

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Other logos vary from ok to amazing (whalers take the cake i think anyways) ... I love the Sabres logo too, but a group of famous graphic designers picked it apart in THN book on the 25 best hockey jerseys in the world (they picked SJ as number one...eye of the beholder i suppose, one of their earlier ones)....CHI, Sweden, Detroit, Habs next up ... Trail Smoke Eaters we're top ten as well only BC uniform that made the cut, none of the Canucks jerseys made it in lol... quite a few juniors ones did though...so i'm sure your right on the logo.   I like it.   But yes it's probably very nostalgia based for me at least.    They did give props to both the SIR and the Skate though and explained what was good about them and what wasn't ... They crucified the Orca and the V though. 

Understandably. The orca is a terrible logo and the V wasn't even a logo. It was a (poor) jersey design without a logo :lol:

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno that seems pretty obvious that it’s a “C” to me. I’m talking about he updated one not the original.

My point was that most of those original 6 were pretty plain and simple which the stick in rink also is.

It’s not even my favourite logo I’m just saying you can’t knock it for being boring while also praising those other logos.

B95466EB-0A61-4230-9AFC-A5DB77BE6AFB.png

First of all, that's not the original stick-in-the-rink logo. Show that specific logo and see if you see the C in that. The one you posted doesn't really count as the point kilgore was making was about where we started, not a modern version of the C.

And, for the record, I didn't even know there was a C in it for at least a year after I originally saw the logo and it's still not obvious to me to this day.