The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you re-sign JT Miller to a 7.5m/7yrs extension?

Rate this topic

billabong

JT at 7.5m/7years?   

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

If we are paying OEL 7 million, then Miller deserves 9 million per year from us as a minimum. Problem is the Canucks signing a bunch of bums to high salary contracts and now they are left with peanuts to sign the core like Horvat, Miller, Boeser etc. Benning cant even GM an ice cream truck, nevermind a hockey team. He would probably offer a 6 figure deal to the janitor while having the manager hold the bag.

We need to showcase OEL to make him more tradeable. PP1 and retain 1M

He'd be a great pp guy for 5M

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We need to showcase OEL to make him more tradeable. PP1 and retain 1M

He'd be a great pp guy for 5M

The key to OEL is getting him away from the 100% shutdown role. We saw he could shine when asked to do so….it just didn’t happen enough with our thinner than expect D (antivax missing a ton of games and pool man being injured or terrible) and Hughes paired with a Schenn. It would be nice to unleash OEL with a FA defensive RHD next year; Leave Schenn with Hughes one more year. In a addition, a Rathbone/Burroughs-Myers pairing would be great; be defensive or offensive based on the LD on game day. Be nice if Allvin and co didn’t blow a 3rd and 1.5m in cap space on Dermott, though I GUESS he could take Burroughs spot.

OEL-Mason (FA)

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone/Burroughs/Dermott-Myers

Edited by BC_Hawk

To answer your exact question;; NO, under no circumstance sign him to a 7 Yr extension, which means he'll be 37 (pushing 38) when his contract is over.    No way, we've been saddlle with many "Old Age" contracts from Luongo (which we're still paying on today!), to the Sedins. Loui Erriksson and now OEL amongst many others. 

The last thing we need is another "geriatric contract" to handcap us with underperforming Senior citizens.  I think we've all learned our lesson about signing long term/over the hill contracts. 

If Miller demands that - TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY - NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

• Vintage 1

I put yay…but would  like to put some conditions on it:

1 - shop him in the off season. If a team is going to overpay with things like big, strong young defence and high quality draft picks you must consider the option. This is off the top of my head but something like JT and Meyers for Bowen Byram (with a clean physical and conditions for games played) and a first. 

2 - there is little to no trade protection in the last 3-4 years. We already have a future anchor in OEL and we can’t afford another one. 

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Why trade him and retain 1m? OEL is worth 6m

True but easier to move at 5.Maybe even get a draft pick and not treated as a salary dump. We a physics 3-4M dman in that spot. Hughes already carries the offense. If we shed OEL and Dickinson that's almost 10M right there to help our cap. 

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

The key to OEL is getting him away from the 100% shutdown role. We saw he could shine when asked to do so….it just didn’t happen enough with our thinner than expect D (antivax missing a ton of games and pool man being injured or terrible) and Hughes paired with a Schenn. It would be nice to unleash OEL with a FA defensive RHD next year; Leave Schenn with Hughes one more year. In a addition, a Rathbone/Burroughs-Myers pairing would be great; be defensive or offensive based on the LD on game day. Be nice if Allvin and co didn’t blow a 3rd and 1.5m in cap space on Dermott, though I GUESS he could take Burroughs spot.

OEL-Mason (FA)

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone/Burroughs/Dermott-Myers

OEL needs to be on a PP1 

Not available here. 

28 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

True but easier to move at 5.Maybe even get a draft pick and not treated as a salary dump. We a physics 3-4M dman in that spot. Hughes already carries the offense. If we shed OEL and Dickinson that's almost 10M right there to help our cap. 

Shedding Dickinson, poolman, and antivax account for 8.2m…unfortunately Allvin blew a 3rd and 1.5m on a waiver wire dude. 

We have 2/3 holes in 2022; A physical LW to play with Petterson, Top 4 defensive RHD, a Replacement for Beoser if he doesn’t take a 5m offer. So, 8.2m for 2 or 14m for 3 players.

FA LW-Petterson-Beoser/FA

Pods-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Hogs

Lockwood-Lammiko-Highmore

Richardson

OEL-FA RHD

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs-Myers

Then, trade Myers’s a TDL to free up $; replace Schenn with a 4-4.5m RHD; resign Dermott, promote Woo, or??? at 3rd pairing RHD

Reading this thread has made me grateful that most of you isn't our GM. 

Vancouver has been plagued by terribly long contracts, don't know why you guys insist on things like 8 year deals on power forwards later in their careers. If we offered him a high capped 8 year deal, I'd lose my mind. I don't care what the market is. The goal of the GM is to make smart decisions for his team and the cap space alone would be more valuable than him as a declining player in the last half of his contract. 

The market was set for ridiculous prices for dmen this past offseason. Just because everybody else did it doesn't mean we should have gone out and signed one of those idiotic-priced defensemen to our team. Oilers are going to be hurting for a real long time with that Nurse deal. Let's not all line up like Edmonton and co. did. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I really don't think he's gonna sign an 8.5 x 8 with any team that isn't a basement dweller. 

A team would be stupid to take on that contract considering how old he is and the style of game he plays. 

Bingo.   If that's the case we dodge a bullet.   If he wants to do an EK, that's up to him.