The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you re-sign JT Miller to a 7.5m/7yrs extension?

Rate this topic

billabong

JT at 7.5m/7years?   

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

we all love JT Miller and we can debate what he will be traded for and to which team till we are blue in the face, but have we considered what it re-signing him will cost? 

I feel a 7.5m / years is a pretty fair offer and a realistic one at that. 

Consider the following, look at Tavares, 31, in Toronto at 11m with 3 years left on that deal and he's already started his decline as his quickness and foot speed are deteriorating and Miller would probably start a similar decline in 3 years or so and for the first 3 years miller will still be a great player while the canucks aren't planning on being a contender so those prime years will be wasted.

Personally, I am not signing any 30 year old to a 6+ year deal. period

20-25 age range is the target for this team to be legit contenders in 2 or 3 years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

we all love JT Miller and we can debate what he will be traded for and to which team till we are blue in the face, but have we considered what it re-signing him will cost? 

I feel a 7.5m / years is a pretty fair offer and a realistic one at that. 

Consider the following, look at Tavares, 31, in Toronto at 11m with 3 years left on that deal and he's already started his decline as his quickness and foot speed are deteriorating and Miller would probably start a similar decline in 3 years or so and for the first 3 years miller will still be a great player while the canucks aren't planning on being a contender so those prime years will be wasted.

Personally, I am not signing any 30 year old to a 6+ year deal. period

20-25 age range is the target for this team to be legit contenders in 2 or 3 years. 

Miller's absolute floor, and one he would likely only take in a state with little to no income tax, would be a million more per year than that, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The same as Boeser and Pettersson? 

But he's much better  

Edit - I thought $9 x 5 years would be what he receives. Would still be the 4th highest contract if he played for the Leafs. So, it's not terrible for the Canucks to give their best player $9. His age though, is my concern. How long can he sustain this level of excellence?

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 1

You're dreaming if you think you're getting Miller for anything less than 8.5M per. 

You're also dreaming if you think you're getting him for anything less than seven years. 

He'll easily get 9M or more and seven years via UFA. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The same as Boeser and Pettersson? 

But he's much better  

Edit - I thought $9 x 5 years would be what he receives. Would still be the 4th highest contract if he played for the Leafs. So, it's not terrible for the Canucks to give their best player $9. His age though, is my concern. How long can he sustain this level of excellence?

This is sort of what I'm thinking for Miller.  As well, I see Miller at the 90 point mark for next season, and then following four seasons at 0.9 points (75 points) per season (in the Miller thread, I wrote that I see Miller having the type of longevity that Blake Wheeler has had for the Jets).

49 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Everyone and their dog would do that. Miller’s agent hangs up the phone with that offer tho. 

His agent said something like, 'We can't even talk about an extension until after the season'.

Miller may not bring back as much in trade as some think.

Miller may not command such a high contract during these difficult times.

Assuming we are going to get a good player, a great prospect, a 1st round pick etc is reaching, imo.

Assuming Miller will only sign a max buck max term deal is also reaching.

So much can still change (I know the TDL is nigh).

• Cheers 1

Long deal, but Miller is worth far more than $7.5M right now, so I doubt he would take that deal. His market value is probably in the $9M-10M range, depending on things like term and clauses.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

He'll be looking b/t 9-10 mil on a long term deal with clauses. If he's a top player in this league like people here are claiming,  then that's what top guys in the NHL are getting paid. 

So heck yeah, I'd sign him to the OP's low-ball offer if he and his agent don't throw that offer in our faces laughing. 

We're looking at least 9M x 8Y for Canadian cities with NMC.  

He is our best forward, and a top 20 in the league.  He is also a coveted PWF in his prime with leadership skill is he not?

So yes, he will get paid like one.

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

7.5 x 7, yuppers. 8x8 yes again, if it was structured to be movable in the last 3 years. 

That is an interesting point I hadn’t really thought about much as there isn’t a ton of impetus for Miller to do it.  It would all but guarantee he spends his last few years on a budget bottom feeder.

Who knows what escrow is going to do in the future, if agents are hedging their bets it will be to try to get rid of or minimize it in the next CBA.  Heavily front loading money might not be something they are looking to do right now.