The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you re-sign JT Miller to a 7.5m/7yrs extension?

Rate this topic

billabong

JT at 7.5m/7years?   

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're not. Demko is masking a lot of this teams warts. We're no contender. And I always thought this was a bubble playoff capable roster. I want the contender new management has promised us.

Again, it's not about this year. It's about planning for our contention window. We have no top 4 RD in two more years. We can't afford to tie up +/- $8.5m for a soon to be declining, 30 something player ahead of that window. We need that cap and the assets he'd return, to build around the young core, in that contention window.

Any good goalie masks teams warts. Team has played great recently. What a goal by Petey though just now. 4 points for miller. Why can't we have both when we are contending? Would rather trade horvat. 

2 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Any good goalie masks teams warts. Team has played great recently. What a goal by Petey though just now. 4 points for miller. Why can't we have both when we are contending? Would rather trade horvat. 

ThF.gif

4 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

But seriously, they have played great recently. But that doesn't change that we have major structural and succession issues, limited cap and should not be giving retirement contracts to 30 year olds, ahead of our young core's contention window, regardless of how good of a player he is RIGHT NOW. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But seriously, they have played great recently. But that doesn't change that we have major structural and succession issues, limited cap and should not be giving retirement contracts to 30 year olds, ahead of our young core's contention window, regardless of how good of a player he is RIGHT NOW. 

I understand, and agree but I guess it all comes down to how well we think miller will age, and what contract he wants. I guess we will find out, but I would hate to find out that he is one of those players that ages perfectly but with a different team. 

8 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

I understand, and agree but I guess it all comes down to how well we think miller will age, and what contract he wants. I guess we will find out, but I would hate to find out that he is one of those players that ages perfectly but with a different team. 

Even if he does, it's not a gamble we should be taking with the age of our core.

Get solid, younger pieces, and move on.

There's no way to fix our structural and succession issues if we're paying him $8.5m to decline.

Edited by aGENT

12 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Actually, I think it's less the contract he will want and more than he's probably going to head south to finish his career 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Petey was this good a couple years ago actually.  Whether you like ot agree with it, this team will be built around Petey, Hughes, Podz and Hogz

I think this is the fastest I've seen a comment age so poorly. On pace for 96 points the most since Daniel Sedin in 2011. You were saying? 

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get this, for young stars like Petey and Hughes though they're high picks, play well for a while and maybe have a bit more "guarantee" of playing well for a long time.

Miller's tricky. He was a 2nd/3rd line grinder for a lot of his career who has just in the last 2 years become a top liner and really just this season become a top-10 NHL star. That to me doesn't scream longevity, he may easily drop off next season or in a couple of years. That's what makes me a bit hesitant to give him a long deal, compared to young stars who are consistently at the top of the league.

My big concern is that Miller's play drops off sooner rather than later. The other argument is the "back-payment" almost - he's outplayed his current contract so does he deserve a big deal to compensate for this and last year? Maybe.

I just know if he gets an 8-9M deal and 8yrs, that's a big chunk of the cap tied up to a 34 year old 3rd line center and leave us with another situation we'll have to move dead cap. Every team will have some sort of dead cap, it's just about managing it. As long as we don't have other big wasted contracts around then, I think it's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for resigning Miller rather than trading him and happy to give him big bucks, we just have to be sensible with the rest of our cap then. For example, we can't have 15M tied up in our 2nd unit defensive pairing who don't hit 50 points combined...

Yep... all true, and I get it as well.  

We may come to regret it, but atm Miller isn't only driving the bus... He owns the freaking bus... last player to be this hot in Canucks colours was Henrik Sedin...

Just saw the sign about the value for Miller for us just now... if Miller doesn't get a point, we're 1-14-0... or similar... That is massive.

When he gets a point only 28-7-4 and when he scores 15-0-1 or similar... Incredible statistics really...

As for being a 'grinder', his playing style may be like a grinder, similar to Motte, but also think he was stuck in Tampas system behind some decent players.

Yes I doubt he will stay this hot for long, and I know the concern is longevity, but feel t some stage you've got to take a chance... This team has moved the goal post over the last 20 games... to start with there was a spring in their steps after Bruce came in, but this has continued and I feel the team deserve to get the chance to run with this, if it continues. I stated more than a month ago that I was torn, on whether the keep him or make a killing, but as this goes on, you've got to think the rest of the players, will wonder be extremely unhappy if we take their points leader out of the line up now, and tell them not to worry as we will be better in a couple of years...maybe.

Anyway, This is where Alwyn gets his wings, or will be in it up to his neck from the start... this is a massive decision he has to make, and he can thank his god, that he has a wily old fox sitting behind to lend him support, which I think Benning could have been done with, when he started his tenure here... 

Time will tell... its a massive time for this franchise immediate future...

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes is 22 and will be 28 when his deal expires. And D tend to be more productive later, until around 34. We'll also be in our team's competitive window where it makes more sense to retain older guys, with term (vs now). We can sign him to another 6 year deal with very little risk. 8 years becomes a bit riskier, but also likely brings the AAV down and by that point (years 7-8 of next deal) we'll likely be exiting our window anyway, so 'who cares'.

Miller is 29 and will be 30 when his new +/- $8.5m deal starts. Forwards tend to decline at 32. We'll likely only get 2 years, full value of that new deal and his contract will become progressively more of an anchor as the years march on, and right when we intend to be in the meat of our contention window. It's just poor planning.

I know and agree to a certain extend...

My point was more like, when QH is 28 he'll be looking at an 8 year deal at high numbers, if he continues this play for the next 5 years He will get a monster contract from someone... but fair enough D-men does normally last longer...

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

I know and agree to a certain extend...

My point was more like, when QH is 28 he'll be looking at an 8 year deal at high numbers, if he continues this play for the next 5 years He will get a monster contract from someone... but fair enough D-men does normally last longer...

2 years younger than Miller and D last longer.

And it fits our window (unlike Miller).

The math just doesn't add up with Miller, regardless of how good he is or how much we love his play.

• Vintage 2

The only thing that might save us on his cap hit is that his career numbers haven't been there.

In his time as a Ranger his best year was .68 ppg

Looked good early in Tampa after the trade and then was at .63 ppg before his trade to Vancouver

He has definitely in his prime though and now producing at levels his draft spot dictated, but he has never been the "perennial" all star type of player.

But seems GM's always end up paying in the end, but maybe we can hope...

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

2 years younger than Miller and D last longer.

And it fits our window (unlike Miller).

The math just doesn't add up with Miller, regardless of how good he is or how much we love his play.

Didn't work with either Naslund or the Sedins.   Have no idea what he's going beast mode but he is ...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Didn't work with either Naslund or the Sedins.   Have no idea what he's going beast mode but he is ...

Think the real question is, can we live with him as a passenger the last 2-3 years of his contract... or at least no more...

If we get a good 5 years out of him it'll be until QH is 27 and EP 30... so are we prepared to let 2-3 season go with Miller as a passenger at those 2 players prime?

To be honest, I'm not sure... My head say trade him and make a killing with players, who can support EP in his prime, but my heart says roll with, while its hot... Who knows if EP will be able to carry the team in a few years time? Could get an injury loss of form etc etc....

Think I'll leave it to Alwyn to figure out...and if it doesn't work, I'll do like most and be cleaver afterwards ::D

• Cheers 1