The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you re-sign JT Miller to a 7.5m/7yrs extension?

Rate this topic

billabong

JT at 7.5m/7years?   

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, stawns said:

but they won't really be able to sign guys like that if they sign Miller

Yes they will.  I've already proven that with math in my other thread.  We can keep Miller and Boeser and Bo and Petey and Hughes and Demko and be able to afford a $5m+ UFA defenceman if we can simply move Dickinson and Poolman.

4 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Marchand is quite the anchor isn't he. Same with giroux. Pavelski? The sedins were pretty dam good when they were 32 or 33 if I recall. Some players hit their prime later then others and age like wine after. Miller I think is one of those players. I doubt in 3 years he will be any worse tbh. Quote me in 3 years. I think in 5 years he will be pretty similar too. 

Like I said, players don't typically peak during their early 30's. Guess what the Sedin's did? Peak during their early 30's. Pretending the Sedin's were the norm is ridiculous, they were outliers, as are most players who play at an elite level into their mid or late 30's. 

Marchand, Giroux, Pavelski, these guys have been top tier players a helluva lot longer than Miller, it's not even comparable. Look at Marchand's last nine seasons, look at Miller's. Pavelski literally has three seasons over his entire career where he's scored less than 40 points, their career numbers aren't remotely comparable. Giroux? Come on man. Giroux literally scored 47 points during his second season (not counting that two game stint as a season) and took off from there and most of his seasons have been 50+ point seasons since or just shy or 50 points. Had last season been a full season he'd likely have scored 60+, he had 43 points in 54 games. Miller's broken 60 points twice, hit ppg once, he's not comparable to any of these guys. 

Won't matter if he's not here in three years, we'll see! ::D 

• Cheers 1

Just now, cdgraham said:

But not at this deadline, and as mentioned try to sign him to an extension this off season. We should have a good idea of what he will want to do then. Worst case, trade him at the deadline next year. Yes worse return blah blah it's the risk you take. 

If they are in a playoff spot or have a realistic chance, then they'll keep him, no question.  If they don't have a realistic shot, then his valiue will never be higher and would a trade that would chart the course for this org for the next decade

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not what we need.  The next 2 years alone there's guys like Manson, Mayfield, Cernak, Severson, Weegar, etc.  I bet most of them will be signed for $5m AAV or less.

Can't afford those guys if we extend Miller. Also yes, that is what we need. Do you not want to win a cup?

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yes they will.  I've already proven that with math in my other thread.  We can keep Miller and Boeser and Bo and Petey and Hughes and Demko and be able to afford a $5m+ UFA defenceman if we can simply move Dickinson and Poolman.

no, you didn't

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't afford those guys if we extend Miller. Also yes, that is what we need. Do you not want to win a cup?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

no, you didn't

2 years we will be a contender... just like what JR has said.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Come On Reaction GIF

Not sure why that constitutes that reaction, two things can be true at once. I disagree that we should trade him I've made that clear, and we should resign him I've made that clear. I have also now made clear that if he refuses to sign then we should unfortunately should bite the bullet and take the assets instead. However that should be a last resort and only if he refuses to sign.  

4 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

But not at this deadline, and as mentioned try to sign him to an extension this off season. We should have a good idea of what he will want to do then. Worst case, trade him at the deadline next year. Yes worse return blah blah it's the risk you take. 

You don't think management has already talked to his agent and have a very good idea of his intentions, contract demands etc?

They're not aloud to actually sign anything yet, but there's nothing stopping them talking.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they are in a playoff spot or have a realistic chance, then they'll keep him, no question.  If they don't have a realistic shot, then his valiue will never be higher and would a trade that would chart the course for this org for the next decade

If they get a "Godfather" offer, in don't think the standings matter.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Like I said, players don't typically peak during their early 30's. Guess what the Sedin's did? Peak during their early 30's. Pretending the Sedin's were the norm is ridiculous, they were outliers, as are most players who play at an elite level into their mid or late 30's. 

Marchand, Giroux, Pavelski, these guys have been top tier players a helluva lot longer than Miller, it's not even comparable. Look at Marchand's last nine seasons, look at Miller's. Pavelski literally has three seasons over his entire career where he's scored less than 40 points, their career numbers aren't remotely comparable. Giroux? Come on man. Giroux literally scored 47 points during his second season (not counting that two game stint as a season) and took off from there and most of his seasons have been 50+ point seasons since or just shy or 50 points. Had last season been a full season he'd likely have scored 60+, he had 43 points in 54 games. Miller's broken 60 points twice, hit ppg once, he's not comparable to any of these guys. 

There twins also fell off pretty quick after that... Almost like forwards drop off at 32+....

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I understand they are the rare ones, but miller has taken off since he has been here. I think he will be one of these players that ages like fine wine. 

You don't think management has already talked to his agent and have a very good idea of his intentions, contract demands etc?

They're not aloud to actually sign anything yet, but there's nothing stopping them talking.

There twins also fell off pretty quick after that... Almost like forwards drop off at 32+....

Of course I think they have already talked never said they hadn't 

Sedins were a lot slower then miller to be fair. 

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

no, you didn't

Anyways I'm done for tonight.  I'll continue arguing tomorrow when I'm back in the office lol.  Enjoy the game!

7 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

I understand they are the rare ones, but miller has taken off since he has been here. I think he will be one of these players that ages like fine wine. 

I disagree, but that's where I'll leave it. I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you. Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, cdgraham said:

Sedins were a lot slower then miller to be fair. 

But WAY more talented. They still went from 1.25+/- ppg players to 0.8+/- ppg players REAL fast. And would have likely continued declining if they hadn't retired.

Forwards almost assuredly, decline at 32+. Outliers are just that. Outliers. If we were already in a contention window, maybe you gamble on that.

We are not.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But WAY more talented. They still went from 1.25+/- ppg players to 0.8+/- ppg players REAL fast. And would have likely continued declining if they hadn't retired.

Forwards almost assuredly, decline at 32+. Outliers are just that. Outliers. If we were already in a contention window, maybe you gamble on that.

We are not.

Look at our record since green left. We are closer then people think. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, cdgraham said:

Look at our record since green left. We are closer then people think. 

We're not. Demko is masking a lot of this teams warts. We're no contender. And I always thought this was a bubble playoff capable roster. I want the contender new management has promised us.

Again, it's not about this year. It's about planning for our contention window. We have no top 4 RD in two more years. We can't afford to tie up +/- $8.5m for a soon to be declining, 30 something player ahead of that window. We need that cap and the assets he'd return, to build around the young core, in that contention window.

• Cheers 1