The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 11, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yeah but that's always your stance, I've never seen you do anything but support the refs.  Kind of LIKE Hanson, trying to hard to be neutral and PC but, by way of that, becoming biased and blind to what's really happening. If you have a wtf moment AND think a call shouldn't have been but was, that's your first clue. "Not all that bad" isn't really what they should be aiming for in the pros.

You were ok with how they reviewed the high stick?

What about the Oshie tackle?

I saw one pretty good case for Gi.

Multiple cross checks were ignored.

And...if it shouldn't have been a hit to the head....well, that's what they called it.  And, if that's the NHL standard how come Garland doesn't get that same protection? It was called a head hit....so if a guy who's simply tall and can't avoid hitting as such, why isn't a smaller guy also afforded that same standard? That anyone hitting him high should be held accountable (they're not).

I've watched Hanson closely as he is a local and someone known to the family. I can tell you....he's awful.

Yup, often teams need to find a way despite the reffs. This was one of those games where puck luck and officiating were against the Nucks, but they still found a way to earn a point. A little more truculence and this team will surprise in the post season. Game management sucks but it's here to stay and some markets benefit more than others. That's Bettman's way.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

can you elaborate?

Can't even remember the last time I saw a full body tackle in a hockey game.

That game was reffed as game management; they wanted OV to get his actually meaningless goal and did the necessary, but his own teammate stole his goal.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Can't even remember the last time I saw a full body tackle in a hockey game.

That game was reffed as game management; they wanted OV to get his actually meaningless goal and did the necessary, but his own teammate stole his goal.

the Caps had three pp's.  If they were actively trying to get Ovie a pp goal, they didn't do a very good job of giving hm chances did they?  

full body tackle, hyperbole galore

I was at last nights game.  Good to be back, always like the pre game hype and how the stadium is pumping.

It was a roller-coaster of a night emotion wise and got to experience them all...except the winning one right at the end. (boo).

I'm certainly no expert so here's something less then 2 cents worth.

I was seated in front of the Pylon Meyers hit (row 3) and there was no ill intent.  It was a case of a tall guy hitting a small guy.  I'm not sure if that penalty is a league standard but as has been posted elsewhere, it doesn't seem to be.

Earlier on, in the same spot ,a caps player boarded a nucks player, in the back when his head was facing down, head went into and 'down' the board (like as if he was doing a forward roll, I guess).  I thought that had much more chance of doing a neck injury but as the player didn't lie down like a 'wounded', play went on.

OT: I like Hughes, but I said to my wife at the time that he has a propensity to try and do it all himself which can lead to teams being caught out in ot.

He did, turnover, game over.  Those things can be fixed.

All in all, a fun night just not perfect with a win.

ty

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

how so?  The pp's were 3-3

Well the 4 on 4 shouldn’t have been 4 on 4.

The Myers penalty was BS, that play happens all game long, Kuznetsov just sold it.

We’re one of the more disciplined teams in the league since Boudreau took over, yet the refs always seem to find penalties at key times in the game.

The fact that it was a perfect 3-3 just points to the fact there was game management. I would say we took 2 legit penalties and should have had another powerplay.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I could see letting Tanev and Tofoli walk providing we didn't trade for Schmidt, who was paid more and on a longer term than what we could have signed Tanev for.  It made no sense!  Easy to understand why Miller was openly pissed off about that.  

I like BB, but a strong argument could be made for Tofoli putting up just as many points, being a better two way player, better finisher around the net versus sniper, leadership, consistent as well as Stanley Cup experience.

Markstrom was gone no matter what, it was either him or Demko, it was time for Markstrom to go for the big payday, didn’t blame him, he is actually earning it, but I would keep Demko any day over him.  As for Tanev, people seem to forget how many games he missed being injured all the time.  He seems to be doing better with the flames, who knows, maybe he felt with the country club atmosphere the Canucks had for years, the push was not there to protect himself better.  How else would you explain his miracle healthy run with the Red White & Stew.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

doesn't Garland draw more penalties than almost any player in the league?

I think you're confusing not whining and using the refs as an excuse for support. 

I also have a fair amount of experience reffing and understand how hard it really is at ice level, I can't even imagine wht it must be like at the highest level.  You have the advantage of multiple replays in slow motions, frame by frame etc........thse guys have a split second to decide.  What I see on tbis site is a lot of people who have never laced up a pair of skates or reffed a game in their lives whone and cry about the refs to make excuses for Canucks losses or poor play. 

I thought last night was a pretty well officiated game, both teams had 3 pp's and the game was played, mostly, 5v5 whch is how it should be.

Whining. Thrown in when the argument isn't strong.  Your experience does not translate to the NHL, I'm sorry but no.

LOL at  "you've never laced up skates" part too. My ex played for many years at 8 rinks and I score kept and that included penalties. I dated a player who was in the WHL. I've watched every single (have not missed a single one I'm proud to say) Canucks game for a decade now.

Some guys who've played hockey don't know it all either (if they did they'd BE NHL refs/players, wouldn't they?).

I understand hockey penalties.

So because both teams had 3 pp's it was pretty well officiated? That likely helps to make my point more than yours. It's not about keeping it even steven, it's about calling penalties even IF/WHEN they are lopsided and especially when they're obvious. And the timing also comes into play, as it opens up near the end of a game and penalties HAVE to be called right in order to allow for a good game where momentum isn't stifled/shifted because one team is getting the calls and the other has already "had their share" and the numbers must even out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

the Caps had three pp's.  If they were actively trying to get Ovie a pp goal, they didn't do a very good job of giving hm chances did they?  

full body tackle, hyperbole galore

Whatever stawns, you see it your way, I see it mine.

You are putting two of my points into one, as I did not say the refs were trying to get Ovi pp time, I said they wanted him to score.

It was the penalties they did not call on Washington that were blatant as that galore-hyperbolie thing you're going with.

It was the penalties they did call on the Canucks that were mastodon excrement. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well the 4 on 4 shouldn’t have been 4 on 4.

The Myers penalty was BS, that play happens all game long, Kuznetsov just sold it.

We’re one of the more disciplined teams in the league since Boudreau took over, yet the refs always seem to find penalties at key times in the game.

The fact that it was a perfect 3-3 just points to the fact there was game management. I would say we took 2 legit penalties and should have had another powerplay.

the Caps had one pp in the third and Van had 2, I'm not sure how that slants the game in Washington's favout

They Myers hit, I agree, shouldn't have been a hit to the head, he can't help being 6'9.  The hit, itself, was clean, but it was probably interference..........on the replay it's clear that Myers knocks the puck away and then lays the hit, the hit did not seperate Kuz from the puck, the puck was already gone by the time time Myers laid the hit.

The hgih stick wasn't a high stick, the replay clearly shows Hunt lifting the stick into his own face, I'm not sure how people can argue that.  It was reviewable because it was originally a double minor penalty and tht is reviewable at discrection of the official, whereas the one on Motte a couple weeks ago was not a double minor, hence it was not reviewable.

For double-minor high-sticking penalties, the referee making the call will have the discretion to review it at the scorer's table. If upon review it shows that the offending stick was not from the player being penalized, the referee will be able to rescind the call.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rule-changes-for-2019-20-nhl-season/c-307950356

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Whining. Thrown in when the argument isn't strong.  Your experience does not translate to the NHL, I'm sorry but no.

LOL at  "you've never laced up skates" part too. My ex played for many years at 8 rinks and I score kept and that included penalties. I dated a player who was in the WHL. I've watched every single (have not missed a single one I'm proud to say) Canucks game for a decade now.

Some guys who've played hockey don't know it all either (if they did they'd BE NHL refs/players, wouldn't they?).

I understand hockey penalties.

So because both teams had 3 pp's it was pretty well officiated? That likely helps to make my point more than yours. It's not about keeping it even steven, it's about calling penalties even IF/WHEN they are lopsided and especially when they're obvious. And the timing also comes into play, as it opens up near the end of a game and penalties HAVE to be called right in order to allow for a good game where momentum isn't stifled/shifted because one team is getting the calls and the other has already "had their share" and the numbers must even out.

it is whining, what else should I call it?  There were 6 penalties in the entire game, the refs were a complete non factor.  

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Whatever stawns, you see it your way, I see it mine.

You are putting two of my points into one, as I did not say the refs were trying to get Ovi pp time, I said they wanted him to score.

It was the penalties they did not call on Washington that were blatant as that galore-hyperbolie thing you're going with.

It was the penalties they did call on the Canucks that were mastodon excrement. 

all three of them in the game?  Which ones?  The myers hit wasn't a hit to the head, imo, but it was probably intereference.  The pck was gone when he made the hit, watch the replay.

I'm sure you're talking about the high stick reversal, which was the right call, HUnt put that stick into his own face

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Where are the posters who were screaming for Horvat to be traded???

I will stand by my earlier posts, he’ll disappear for the next 3-4 games now,  I am not anti Horvat, I like the guy, it’s just what he does.

Wether that makes him a tradable asset or not, in JR I trust.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

the Caps had one pp in the third and Van had 2, I'm not sure how that slants the game in Washington's favout

It's not math, it's hockey.

Refs are there to assess penalties, not calculate them as an equation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

my issue was there were all kinds of things going on that could have been called, but they picked out one that had a divey element to it with Myers. Given all the other stuff going on that could have been let go, or they could have called embellishment too. 

But it doesn't matter, they had their chances to win that thing, hopefully they can just finally agree to shoot more on the PP.

I'm glad Bruce called him out.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So.....Garland for Zacha and Bahl?

Canucks need to get bigger

Could've been Eddie Shack

image.jpeg.8d81deaffb315b1cbb4d8d6bb6460ec3.jpeg

I might have actually seen that (if we had TV back then).

Clear the track for Eddie Shack!

One of my favorite players.

He would wind it up like Orr, skating back into his zone and around the net to pick up speed, then,

Look Out!  Look Out!  Look OUT!!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1